Can you house these two species together?

Cargorabbit

Arachnopeon
So a friend gave me about five Narceus americanus back in January, they're all wc.

Well I recently bought a cheap Anadenobolus monilicornis at NARBC back in February.
He's been in a separate tub all by himself and was wondering if it'd be okay to bring him into my other tub or if it'd be better just to keep him seperated. (':
I'm pretty new to myriapods so I don't know if this is a totally stupid question to ask haha.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't kept either species, but I don't think it should be a problem at all. I've kept a mixed species millipede tank for over a year and everyone's doing great. The only thing I'd worry about would be parasite/disease introduction, but after a month or so of quarantine it's probably not a big issue.

Welcome to myriapod ownership!

Edit: I see from your profile you're a Game Art major, I used to be one too (switched over to 2D animation though). We gotta talk art sometime!

Cargorabbit

Arachnopeon
Yeah that was the main thing I was worried about, I didn't want anything to pass over to one or the other.

(And definitely! Always love chatting with other art majors. B) )

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're super worried about the spread of disease, I'd just quarantine them another couple months before introduction (sick millipedes can take a long time to die). If everyone's in good shape after that then go ahead.

Do you know how to sex your millipedes yet? With 5 Narceus you'll probably get offspring.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
well/cross ventilation is required as well, as some species of millipedes are known to die from the hydrogen cyanide release of other species from different continents. this will prevent intoxication from a stuffed enclosure

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very good point, thank you Tongue Flicker! I hadn't even thought of that.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Both those species will be fine together. They're actually often found together under the same stone or log where sandy scrubland transitions into oak woodland with humus-dominant substrate.

Cargorabbit

Arachnopeon
If you're super worried about the spread of disease, I'd just quarantine them another couple months before introduction (sick millipedes can take a long time to die). If everyone's in good shape after that then go ahead.

Do you know how to sex your millipedes yet? With 5 Narceus you'll probably get offspring.
I do not know how to sex them! I'd love to be enlightened on that haha.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
In males, the legs on the 7th segment behind the head have been modified into sex organs called gonopods so the legs appear to be missing. Females have a full set of legs on their 7th segment.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well/cross ventilation is required as well, as some species of millipedes are known to die from the hydrogen cyanide release of other species from different continents. this will prevent intoxication from a stuffed enclosure
I heard talk about "cross ventilation" with millipede enclosures. Can you be more specific? How do you produce "cross ventilation" with millipede enclosures? Are you drilling holes on the sides of the enclosure? If so, how big, how many and where at? Do you have a picture? When you mention "intoxication from a stuffed enclosure" could you be more specific? Are you referring to anoxia?

This site (http://www.bugzuk.com/insects/millipedes/anadenobolus-monilicornis) likes to talk about "cross ventilation" a lot but I do not remember Orin suggesting this in his book. It is one of the few sites that seems to suggest it but I could be wrong. Most millipede species have the ability to thrive in low ventilation, low oxygen, high fungi environments.

I'm just trying to understand. Thanks!!

Last edited: