Hardwickei- Try #2

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I got my replacement in today.

He wasn't a popsicle when he came in (that tends to help quite a bit I hear) and he was moving around just fine compared to the first individual. The little guy is also like a walking sausage and his segments look like he's actually going to go through a molt and he's been refusing food despite his more than proficient locomotion. It's either that or on the second try they stuffed him full of food. Either way, he seems happy and healthy. Definitely much more spontaneous than the first and much more active. I figure that if I can get more from the same guy I can breed them in the future.

IMG_0628.jpg

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck with that! Sometimes when I get 'one' of something I've really wanted, I think I sometimes pay too much attention to it and take care of it .....to death!

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck with that! Sometimes when I get 'one' of something I've really wanted, I think I sometimes pay too much attention to it and take care of it .....to death!
I know exactly what you mean Galapoheros!

Thanks for the good luck guys! He's under his corkbark right now though he's still refusing food so I'm pretty convinced that he's going to pop out of his skin soon. I've not seen a pede molt in so long I forgot what it looks like! I'm also going to be ordering in some more dehaani over the next few months here. I'll keep you posted on the hardwickei.

:)

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hopefully you just needed a healthy one, good luck!
So far, so good! He's plump as all can be and he ate a cricket today after he ran around in his cage for close to 20min. It was then I decided he must need something and so I bought a few small crickets from the pet store to see if he would like something to snack on. After chowing down, he ran around for another good 10min and hasn't come out since.

StigKH

Arachnopeon
I would love to get one of those some day. So hard to find them on sale in my country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A little update. He molted successfully, though I think he must have been situated incorrectly after molting because the last couple segments look a bit off. He can't grasp with his terminal legs nor can he walk with one of the last legs he has. However, he moves around without much hindrance and is just as much of a speed demon as he was before. I hope he'll be a bit better at the whole molting thing in the next month or so.I'll update with pictures when possible.

Edit-
It appears that he is unable to use the last three pairs of his legs, including the terminal legs. However, as I said he seems to be doing just fine despite that.

Last edited:

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMG_0644.jpg

I managed to snap a picture of him when he decided to stay put in a corner after having his hide removed. Something to note is that for now, he prefers the moist area under the hide compared to the drier side even though he has a choice. I was told this species likes it just a tad bit drier than say S. dehaani.

David VB

Arachnosquire
Got 4 females of this species and all of them are supposed to be pregnant :) They are currently in their warm and dry period without food. When i first got them, they didn't want to eat either so i took adult dubia's, which i cu in two and then held them close to their mouth until they ate.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know squat about these guys lol they look cool though ,was wondering do they all miss a black band now and then like yours is missing just curious he is cool neverless

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's pretty common. It would be nice if the pattern was as uniform as that found in S. heros though S. heros lacks the neon-orange that S. hardwickei has. Still, they're both amazing animals.

-Edit-
Oh, and I must say I'm sorry for the incredibly delayed response. I tend to forget quite a bit.

Lurchenstien

Arachnosquire
It appears that he is unable to use the last three pairs of his legs, including the terminal legs. However, as I said he seems to be doing just fine despite that.
Just found this when trying to find out what's up with one of my hardwickei pedelings, it looks like it's due to molt, but it looks to be having a similar issue to the one yours had, although it's noticeably slower than it was the other day. How has your hardwickei done since?

I dont know squat about these guys lol they look cool though ,was wondering do they all miss a black band now and then like yours is missing just curious he is cool neverless
I have three hardwickei pedelings, all three with different markings. One with 9 black bands, one with 8 1/2, and one with 9 black bands on the body and one across it's eyes.