G. Pulchripes sling not molting!

ojpo

Arachnopeon
I bought a Chaco golden knee back in August. She's still a very tiny sling, about the size of a finger nail if she spreads all her legs wide. She first molted in the vial she was shipped in. Since then shes only molted once, a few months ago now. Is it normal for them to have so much time in between molts? I know they have a slower growth rate, but i didn't expect this long. I mean, i got a GBB sling in october and shes already 3 times the size of the chaco golden knee! I keep her in a plastic deli cup, filled with soil with a little bit of spagnum moss mixed in. I keep it a little dry. Should I mist more often? Could that even have anything to do with her not molting? Any help would be much appreciated!

The G. Pulchripes is named "Divine" btw, and the GBB is "Tulia". Also have an Emperor Scorpion named "Karloff"

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
As you already stated Grammostola genus are slow growers Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is known to be one of the faster growers..... it should be bigger than the G. pulchripe going by general growth comparrisons.

misting it won't induce a molt.

feeding more often and an increase in temperatures will speed up metabolism and increase molting frequency.

I don't understand why people buy a spider labelled as slow growing then are suprised ta it growing....slowly

a slow grower will usually molt alot less frequent or they will molt fairly often but increase in size in small increments taking a long time to reach maturity, they also have the added bonus of being generally longer lived than some of the faster growing Ts.
a fast grower will molt very often growing a decent amount each time others will molt fairly infrequent but will increase in size dramatically per molt some of the fast growers still have a decent lifespans others are around 4-5 years after maturing.

TpleaseForMe

Arachnosquire
I have one I got half inch sized and molted once in like 7 months I keep average temp and feed every 2 weeks I just choose to let her slow grow enjoy the time you have with hher/ him don't rush it

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The warmer they are and the more you feed them, the faster they'll grow. Is it in a cool spot of the house, or near an a/c vent? The substrate should be slightly moist, not wet; she'll drink from wetted sphagnum. They need moderate ventilation so the air isn't stuffy and stagnant.

Thanks for letting us know it's name, that's always a key part of the diagnosis. ;)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I don't need to say much as to growth rates (been said) cause the G,pulchripes is slower than GBB, i personaly like some slow growing sp, cause once the fast growing T's have molted you have others to watch at a later date. just give it time and it will happen.

tisha

Arachnopeon
^ yes, higher temp and more food. Mine is now ~3 from a ~.5 sling that I got last November.

tisha

Arachnopeon
Lol yeah, I'll adjust its feeding sched next molt. I just want it properly sexed. ;)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
In terms of Grammostola spp., pulchripes is a pretty fast grower. If this one is too slow for you, definitely don't start looking around for more! ;) Just be patient and let it do its thing.