A. gigas babies

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I was feeding my AGB millipedes last night and discovered that I had a few 2 inch youngsters in the tank. Upon closer inspection, I also found some 3/4 inch babies. I've had my two adult breeding pairs since September 2012 and this is the first sign of any offspring. I assume the 5 larger individuals I collected were from eggs deposited in Fall of 2012, and the 3 smaller individuals were from eggs deposited in Fall of 2013. I've moved the offspring into a separate tub and I'll be checking the adult tank more often. Hopefully, there's young remaining that will eventually surface.

Orins' book describes female AGBs to be finicky egg layers and if not provided a suitable stimulus will refuse to deposit eggs or only deposit a small number. I followed his recommendation for a stimulus (couple of inches of leaf litter on damp substrate), but it may not have been sufficient to produce a large number of eggs. It may also be the case that the substrate wasn't nutritious enough to support young immatures. This summer, I'll rehouse the adults in a new tank with plenty of food substrate and give them a stimulus in the Fall. Hopefully, I'll get a better yield.

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
Congratulations!! There is a huge lack of cb AGBs on the market (even wc adults are difficult to come by these days--not that I would buy them!). I'm stoked that you've got a breeding pair; that is fantastic. Keep us posted on how they do. I have one adult female & they are a really cool species. :)

Jeni

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats!!! Great photos, so cute. Good luck in with your breeding attempt this year.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Thanks everyone. I found another 2 incher this morning munching on a piece of banana.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I found another 2 incher this morning munching on a piece of banana.
Great! Can you provide us with a very detailed account of your set up? Is it possible you purchased your female and she was already gravid? Was she part of the recent shipments Ward's Science was selling or did you get her as full grown from Ken?

Last edited:

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I've been following the recommendations in Orins' book, Millipedes in Captivity. I have 4 adults (2 male, 2 female) in a 10 gallon tank. I purchased these specimens from Ward's Science in September of 2012. The tank has 8 inches of substrate. I used 4 inches of coco fiber (eco-earth) as a base. This was topped with 3 inches of food substrate and an inch or two of oak leaf litter. The food substrate was a mix of 50% eco-earth and 50% decaying oak leaves and wood (more leaves than wood, unfortunately, as I haven't found a good supply of rotting oak). I provide supplemental food once a week or so. Sometimes it's eaten, sometimes it's ignored. The top is made from two pieces of acrylic with 18 or so 1/8" holes for ventilation. I use clips made from rings of PVC pipe to secure the top in place. The tank is kept at room temperature which in my case is 70F +/-5F.

I observed my AGBs mating a couple of weeks after they arrived, so I don't think the hard part of breeding these is getting them to mate.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! Have you tried using wood shaving pet bedding since you have trouble obtaining rotten wood?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been following the recommendations in Orins' book, Millipedes in Captivity. I have 4 adults (2 male, 2 female) in a 10 gallon tank. I purchased these specimens from Ward's Science in September of 2012. The tank has 8 inches of substrate. I used 4 inches of coco fiber (eco-earth) as a base. This was topped with 3 inches of food substrate and an inch or two of oak leaf litter. The food substrate was a mix of 50% eco-earth and 50% decaying oak leaves and wood (more leaves than wood, unfortunately, as I haven't found a good supply of rotting oak). I provide supplemental food once a week or so. Sometimes it's eaten, sometimes it's ignored. The top is made from two pieces of acrylic with 18 or so 1/8" holes for ventilation. I use clips made from rings of PVC pipe to secure the top in place. The tank is kept at room temperature which in my case is 70F +/-5F.

I observed my AGBs mating a couple of weeks after they arrived, so I don't think the hard part of breeding these is getting them to mate.
Thanks for the added details. I only ask because I planned to tweak my enclosures if you were doing anything different than I am currently doing but my set up is just as yours. Ya, the mating is easy! : ) Thanks again for sharing your awesome millis.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool and congrats on the babies! I'm hoping to get some AGBs in the future, so the more CB babies the better! :)

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations on the babies and thanks for sharing your setup details, observations and photos.

:angelic:

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the info! Have you tried using wood shaving pet bedding since you have trouble obtaining rotten wood?
I bought a bag of Aspen shavings but I haven't tried them yet. I'm not sure if this is the same stuff others are using. The shavings are small chips about the size of oat meal flakes, very hard and very dry. I'm not sure how long it would take to decompose into something soft enough for young immatures to chew.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm that does sound different. The stuff I got is thin papery shavings. It's probably worth using anyway, just cause it will decompose with time.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm that does sound different. The stuff I got is thin papery shavings. It's probably worth using anyway, just cause it will decompose with time.
Yes, that is what I have. The key is to make sure you are getting the really thin cut aspen. It softens and will start to decompose pretty quickly in a high humidity environment. I also work it into the moist substrate and this increasing the decomposition of the wood. The millis eat it. I would like to add that is does not work well as a full substitute for a good sized rotten log. I have noticed that the baby millis really like to get under the rotten log and eat the underside. They also like to just hang out there and it seems like their primary location to be.

Last edited:

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I'll keep an eye out for the paper thin aspen shavings and boost my effort to locate some rotting oak. The stuff I bought was on clearance, so it probably wasn't a big seller at the LPS, even for its' intended purpose. I found 2 more immatures this morning, bringing the count up to 11.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on your success! That's the kind of surprise you LIKE to find in your pede tank. :D Great timing on the post, too, I actually came on today to see if anyone had had any luck lately with breeding A. gigas, and what they planned on doing with the young. My set up is very much like yours, and I have seen several babies lately (they generally only come out at night). I left mine in with the parents, as they seem to be thriving well there, and I don't want to risk messing anything up.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll keep an eye out for the paper thin aspen shavings and boost my effort to locate some rotting oak. The stuff I bought was on clearance, so it probably wasn't a big seller at the LPS, even for its' intended purpose. I found 2 more immatures this morning, bringing the count up to 11.
What type of container are you using? What is the ventilation like? What is the moisture like at the different vertical levels? I only ask because I often feel that in some cases my babies die because of an improper balance between ventilation and moisture. I am wondering if it is species specific and if sometimes death occurs because it gets to moist with minimal ventilation or too dry with too much ventilation. Just a thought...

shebeen

Arachnobaron
What type of container are you using? What is the ventilation like? What is the moisture like at the different vertical levels? I only ask because I often feel that in some cases my babies die because of an improper balance between ventilation and moisture. I am wondering if it is species specific and if sometimes death occurs because it gets to moist with minimal ventilation or too dry with too much ventilation. Just a thought...
I understand your concern. When I first set up my enclosure, I had too much ventilation and the substrate was losing moisture. Now, I may have too little ventilation.

#4 Here's my enclosure. It's a standard 10 gallon fish tank (20"x10"x12").

#5 Here's a view of my substrate. I haven't changed it since I set up the tank 18 months ago. The food layer is now mostly just frass so there's probably not much food for young immatures in the substrate itself.

#6 Here's my top. Most of the vent holes are covered with packing tape to limit ventilation.

#7 I have an 8W heat pad on one end of the tank. I know Orin advises against using heat pads, but my living room gets down to 64 at night during the winter. When used on the side of a tank, these pads really don't produce much heat so I think I'm ok. I turn it off once the weather warms up.

#8 Yes, while I was taking these photos this morning, two of my AGBs decided to have sex. Like I said, getting them to mate is not the hard part. :)