N.E.M.S (New Enclosure Molt Syndrome)

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
My 2" A.Geniculata is molting as we speak. She's been in pre for over a week(but still ate a prekilled cricket day before yesterday after refusing until that point). She was already due for a larger enclosure, so I went ahead and moved her in anticipation of the molt. And what would you know, 4 hours later she's laying back on her little web bed. Same thing happened with my G.Pulchripes. Don't know what about a new enclosure causes this, but its fascinating in my opinion.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
hmmm...i dont know if i believe this but i did the same with my ~1" a.avic. she was in too big of a cage and in premolt im guessing for the almost 2weeks i had her. in fear the big cage was stressing her. i moved her and her cork slab[with her silk mat on it] and she molted next day.. however all 3 of my T's iv got in premolt. [other 2 i see big dark rump so pretty sure of it] and all went into new enclosure and no quick molts yet ;P

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
hmmm...i dont know if i believe this but i did the same with my ~1" a.avic. She was in too big of a cage and in premolt im guessing for the almost 2weeks i had her. In fear the big cage was stressing her. I moved her and her cork slab[with her silk mat on it] and she molted next day.. However all 3 of my t's iv got in premolt. [other 2 i see big dark rump so pretty sure of it] and all went into new enclosure and no quick molts yet ;p
how dare you attempt to debunk my "scientific" theory!! :D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
how dare you attempt to debunk my "scientific" theory!! :D
hey im all about math and science. but hey my slings arnt exactly smart XD my b. albo sling in premolt just likes to sit and chill out in the open. *scratches head* it is a decent theory. but if you think about it a new enviroment should/could technically stress them more.. why would you want to molt when you dont know wheres the "closest predator" or wheres the safest place? :p

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
Come to think of it the same thing happened to my OBT, I didn't even know she was in pre-molt. Had a couple of slings (LP and GBB) do it too, right after I got them.

Could be a coincidence.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's coincidence- if you guys believe this then I have free baseball tickets to give you at Ebetts Field!!

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Couldn't it be potentially harmful to transfer a T when its about to molt, especially 4 hours before a molt?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Couldn't it be potentially harmful to transfer a T when its about to molt, especially 4 hours before a molt?
Exactly how i see it anything under 1week seems bad imo

---------- Post added 03-22-2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

It's coincidence- if you guys believe this then I have free baseball tickets to give you at Ebetts Field!!
As pretty much always i agree

Not a fan of baseball..however if your one of those guys with fertile farm land in the middle of the swamp i might be interested ;p

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is, my white knee seems to be an exception. She molted fine and is chilling on her web bed right now.
I was referring to the possibility of rupturing its abdomen, by the means of prodding, or short drops. They're a lot more fragile during premolt.