Jerusalem Cricket Breeding

kellakk

Arachnosquire
Has anyone had luck breeding Jerusalem crickets? Anything past the mating part. Like egg deposition, eggs hatching, etc. I was curious, so I searched through the forums and google, but found nothing.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone had luck breeding Jerusalem crickets? Anything past the mating part. Like egg deposition, eggs hatching, etc. I was curious, so I searched through the forums and google, but found nothing.
I am not aware of anyone getting them to reproduce in captivity.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I am currently preparing for a serious attempt. The eggs take nearly a full year to hatch in the wild. Deposited in spring, and hatching in fall, in time for the rains.

A brooding female needs a BIG enclosure, as their instinct is to dig down deeper, and form a brooding chamber. I believe they actually possess silk glands similar to silk-spinning crickets (close relatives) used for lining the chamber. Perhaps they simply need a lengthy dry diapause period at room temp, then hatch when the rains come.

That mature female i grabbed the last time looks gravid. she will not eat, probably full of the male, still.

I have a male nigrocapitatus now, as well. I still need a female mahogany, though. One of my males is huge and can get to 6.5 cm after feeding. i really want a black dune pair. those are amazing..

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am currently preparing for a serious attempt. The eggs take nearly a full year to hatch in the wild. Deposited in spring, and hatching in fall, in time for the rains.

A brooding female needs a big enclosure, as their instinct is to dig down deeper, and form a brooding chamber. I believe they actually possess silk glands similar to silk-spinning crickets (close relatives) used for lining the chamber. Perhaps they simply need a lengthy dry diapause period at room temp, then hatch when the rains come.

That mature female i grabbed the last time looks gravid. She will not eat, probably full of the male, still.

I have a male nigrocapitatus now, as well. I still need a female mahogany, though. One of my males is huge and can get to 6.5 cm after feeding. I really want a black dune pair. Those are amazing..
Good luck! :biggrin:

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mike "Troll" Dame has supposedly had a bit of experience in breeding these, though I don't recall the extent of it. I've seen whitish eggs before but they dried up before I even had a chance to photograph them (I think...I'll go look at my memory stick in a minute). I sent some off to Harvard recently, but I don't think they were going to breed them--just photograph them.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Sadly, i believe my mature female S. nigrocapitatus has a mature horsehair worm in her, either that or a blockage. Hopefully she improves. I'm holding off feeding her for a week or so.

So until i can find a new female, i wont be getting any eggs.. the rest of my specimens, except for my giant male mahogany, are about 3-4 years from maturity (possibly longer)..