Dynastes Hercules ?

xSerpentGoddess

Arachnopeon
Is the Dynastes Hercules even legal in the pet trade? I thought they were illegal. I saw someone selling larvae at a show recently. No one could tell me they were 100% fine to buy. Every person I've asked either wasn't sure or told me not to broadcast it if I chose to buy them. That's seemed a bit shady to me. Is there a way to contact the dept. of agriculture to ask things like this?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I thought they were illegal without proper permitting. I would visit the websites of either the USDA or USFW (or both actually) and check into the cintact info as a start. They'd be the ones who'd know best what's required to own them, if you even can outside of research facilities or zoos.

PAudax

Arachnopeon
I've never heard of them being illegal... I mean, if they were brought illegally into America, then yeah. If they were bred here and if it's from a reputable seller, I suppose it's okay. I'm not an expert in the area of sales, so another opinion would be appreciated.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Native non-injurious non-venomous insects are totally legal.

Some species, like grasshoppers and katydids, are illegal. Some ensifera are permitted, like true crickets, and jerusalem crickets.

Many beetles are legal to ship, provided they are non-injurious. Carabidae, tenebrionids, and many others are legal, as they have many industrial uses, like bio-pest-control, animal food, or just pets, plain and simple. Scarabidae has tight restrictions because many are very very destructive, like the japanese beetle.

Contact aphis, and they'll be able to tell you if an insect is prohibited federally.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I vaguely remember reading a thread on here about someone that ordered a few D. hercules larvae and got a warning from the USDA (luckily for him the larvae were DOA). I'll have to try to dig it up in the morning.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
I've always heard all non US native beetles are illegal to import/keep

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
D. hercules and D. granti are native to the US, and legal to keep. I used to keep some D. granti.