New Burgundy hyper?

DeepSeaKitten

Arachnopeon
I have a new 6" burgundy-Ruby. I have her in a 25 gallon wide shallow tank with good substrate and moss. I have another Salmon pink T, but he is really mellow- always has been. Is it normal for the females to behave like that? She paces a lot day or night, Drinks a lot of water, eats like a raptor and is making a mess... not digging, but flicking substrate along the tank. It's kind of cute, actually. She seems healthy. I have the tank at 85-90 degrees F and at close to 100% humidity. It cools at night, but not much. I'm thinking she needs a bigger cage, which is not an issue for me, Ill get one if I need to. Just curious if this is normal or indicitive of needing a larger tank... She seems very aggressive- Attacked my chopstick when I removed her from the container which is not typical of my other T. I did recently feed her a hisser though- Hit it so hard the container slid a couple inches on the table! She is awesome though :D Thoughts???:eek:

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
I don't think you need a larger enclosure since it is not anywhere near its adult massiveness. My guess is it is still figuring things out in its new home. It is a more defensive spider than the others you mentioned, but that is not really out of the ordinary. I have never had a spider from the theraposa line, I know they are humid and heat fanatics, but 85-90 seems slightly high. I am not speaking from knowledge, but I would probably tone her down to the 80 degree range. If it truly attacked the cockroach and moved the cage like you said... I would put a name tag on the cage and call her "the beast".... Others may get my sand lot reference.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
A 25 gallon container slid two inches? I think maybe I failed to get that this is a joke....
Otherwise, your enclosure is more than large enough for her. Even the largest specimens don't NEED more than 10 for 15 gallons, but sometimes a larger one is easier to furnish and can be pleasing to the eye. T's can vary in temperament greatly; you happened to get a girl with some attitude. They tend yo be much more entertaining than the pet rocks most species are. Congrats!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She paces a lot day or night, Drinks a lot of water, eats like a raptor and is making a mess... not digging, but flicking substrate along the tank. It's kind of cute, actually. She seems healthy. I have the tank at 85-90 degrees F and at close to 100% humidity. It cools at night, but not much.
No wonder it paces and drinks a lot...
Those temps and humidity are overkill (as is the tank size). In the 70's with damp substrate is quite fine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My Theraphosa are 90 at degree days for half the year, with 75-80 nights (one of the joys of living in Florida). The other half of the year they're at 75-80 days and 65-75 nights. They stay in their retreats part of the time, and don't pace around like they're discontent or looking for something. They've done well. I think 100% humidity is too high. You could bump that down to 80% and be okay. Mine have plenty of ventilation too, does yours?

DeepSeaKitten

Arachnopeon
The plastic container that I brought her home in slid when she destroyed the hisser. I didn't expect her to eat so quickly after moving
from the pet store to a car, then up 3 flights of stairs and into a new environment, but I guess she was pretty hungry!

---------- Post added 03-25-2014 at 08:14 PM ----------

I'll take off one of the heat mats, then. It's barely 70 in there when there is only one mat on. Might try to take some of the plastic off to cool it off. Just hope the humidity stays high enough. She looks like she may molt soon. I want to make sure she stays safe & healthy

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I've always kept mine at room temp with a water dish and moist substrate. Never had any issues.

You said she's new. How new? She may not be settled in. That, coupled with the higher temps, would explain a bit of "hyperactivity".