Insect/Arachnid Pets

Greatredswarm

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm a 13 year-old looking for an invert pet and I was wondering what some suggestions may be. I do live in canada so some legal restrictions apply. Here are some inverts I was thinking about.

Tarantula (obviously)
Madagascar hissing roaches
Mantids
Millipedes
Other roaches

I am able to respect that some animals need space sometimes but I am a hands on person.

litebritedeath

Arachnopeon
Roaches are great. It's fun to get colonies going and once established gives you plenty of food for T's. I raise B. Lateralis and also have 32 T's.

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
A mantid would be a nice pet. I suggest a native species, so that there are no risks of accidental lawbreaking. Perhaps a Stagmomantis?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I am able to respect that some animals need space sometimes but I am a hands on person.
Then I'd say hold off on tarantulas for now. They're predators with small brains and oversize fangs. There's always a possibility of being bitten, and the media can go overboard with coverage on a slow news day (parents take you to the emergency room, etc). They'll be even more tarantula species in the hobby when you're a few years older, and prices keep coming down as more people breed them.

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Another good reason to choose a mantis. The Stagmomantis specimens that I have kept have been remarkably tolerant of handling, even feeding while on my hand.

Greatredswarm

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for all the help, and hopefully I can get some sort of mantis soon.

---------- Post added 03-25-2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

Again just checked in with the C.I.F.A and all exotic insect species (except standard feeders, centipedes, spiders, tarantulas and scorpions) either require a license or are not legal in canada.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that foreign species of millipedes are illegal, but I assume keeping native ones is fine? Depending on where you live in Canada you may be able to get species like Narceus. A Canadian friend of mine has started keeping the millipedes she finds in the garden.

litebritedeath

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for all the help, and hopefully I can get some sort of mantis soon.

---------- Post added 03-25-2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

Again just checked in with the C.I.F.A and all exotic insect species (except standard feeders, centipedes, spiders, tarantulas and scorpions) either require a license or are not legal in canada.
Yeah I have had a few friends with closet collections in Canada. Some parts of Canada are even more strict banning anything with venom, which all T's have.

Greatredswarm

Arachnopeon
I know that foreign species of millipedes are illegal, but I assume keeping native ones is fine? Depending on where you live in Canada you may be able to get species like Narceus. A Canadian friend of mine has started keeping the millipedes she finds in the garden.
Any Idea where to get them?

---------- Post added 03-25-2014 at 06:01 PM ----------

What about a jumping spider? Those are handleable true spiders.
Any idea where to get?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Narceus millipedes can be found under rotten logs in old growth forests, other ones in garden soil. Some tarantula dealers sell jumping spiders, but I don't know any Canadian suppliers, someone else will have to fill you in there.

Greatredswarm

Arachnopeon
Narceus millipedes can be found under rotten logs in old growth forests, other ones in garden soil. Some tarantula dealers sell jumping spiders, but I don't know any Canadian suppliers, someone else will have to fill you in there.
Thanks everyone!

Spepper

Arachnodemon
You can find jumping spiders in the wild on sunny walls, fences, hoses lying in the grass... porches in the sun... anywhere sunny you have a descent chance of finding wild ones. I usually find them when I'm least expecting it, so always have a jar or catch-cup ready. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Canada also has some nice wolf spiders as well, if you start hunting in June you should be able to find some juveniles that will live for around 8 months, of course they can bite and can be as fast as some of the OW T species but the bite is no where as serious. Added bonus is that you won't have a long term commitment (well cared for T can live for 10 years easy) and I think huntsman spiders are legal to obtain in Canada and they live for several years. I've kept "true spiders" since I was 4 and was able to care for them and be entertained for years until I felt like I was ready for the commitment and skill it takes to care for a T.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
there are many large arachnids and insects in canada that are way cooler than many species commonly sold. :D

Here's a canadian mygalomorph for ya! http://bugguide.net/node/view/162793

You should definitely look for one, purseweb spiders are really neat. They can deliver a VERY painful bite, though thanks to those ridiculous fangs.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
there are many large arachnids and insects in canada that are way cooler than many species commonly sold. :D

Here's a canadian mygalomorph for ya! http://bugguide.net/node/view/162793

You should definitely look for one, purseweb spiders are really neat. They can deliver a VERY painful bite, though thanks to those ridiculous fangs.
+1 on a mygalomorphs local to your area, if your not getting a T. Some mygalomorphs are even more interesting than tarantulas. Just watch for the bite.

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
Im surprised canada is so strict with restrictions regarding invertebrates. Most all forms of roaches (at least the larger ones) would not be able to survive the cold for very long. There is a reason tarantulas cant be found in the northern reaches, they wont survive the frost, not even a sack would survive. With almost a zero % chance at infestation, these would be ideal pets... Even larger herps...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Another good reason to choose a mantis. The Stagmomantis specimens that I have kept have been remarkably tolerant of handling, even feeding while on my hand.
+1. There are SO MANY beautiful mantids, it just floors me. Incredible animals.

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
I've looked into mantids as well.. But only to find out that they only life a little past a year.. Bummer :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk