Emperor spends a lot of active time scrabbling up wall of tank...normal?

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does this mean he's not healthy? Just worried for him :)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have one thermometer in there right now (no current heat source because I've never seen the temp get below 70 or much above 80) and no humidity reader..

But I mist daily and pour one cup full of water directly into his substrate (mulch/bark/soil type mix.. mostly mulchy soil) And I keep the top of his tank covered mostly..

Giving him about four crickets a week since he's young and constantly hungry it seems..

So okay, just going through the mental check list out loud.. I guess he just feels like climbing :)

Thanks for response!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Most scorpions will do this for a few hours or a few days after they are placed in a new enclosure. I can only speculate but I believe it is just their way of checking out their new territorys' extent. The "climbing the walls" behavior is what I assume would be what they would do if they encountered a rock or log blocking their way in the wild...

John
];')

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
I have one thermometer in there right now (no current heat source because I've never seen the temp get below 70 or much above 80) and no humidity reader..

But I mist daily and pour one cup full of water directly into his substrate (mulch/bark/soil type mix.. mostly mulchy soil) And I keep the top of his tank covered mostly..

Giving him about four crickets a week since he's young and constantly hungry it seems..

So okay, just going through the mental check list out loud.. I guess he just feels like climbing :)

Thanks for response!
What about hides? Emps, tend to get stressed if there isn't a good place(s) for them to crawl under. Also might want to get a humidity reader (they're cheap!) then reduce the amount of misting and adding water to the substrate. I usually keep the humidity between 60-70% and have more hides then scorpions (7 hides for 5 Emps) even though they tend to share them.

As for feeding, I tend to feed every two weeks and give about 15-20 crickets(depending on cricket size), if you have a male its important to regulate the amount of food intake because they tend to eat anything that moves which can lead to a fat & unhealthy Emp.
-Mark

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The smaller the area the in the more they scrabble, they seem to have an ideal living area and if the vivarium is large enough they seem to stop scrabbling and just go in another direction.

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats a good point, I failed to mention I use a 29.5 gallon enclosure with plenty of space.

-Mark

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
WorldTour said:
What about hides? Emps, tend to get stressed if there isn't a good place(s) for them to crawl under. Also might want to get a humidity reader (they're cheap!) then reduce the amount of misting and adding water to the substrate. I usually keep the humidity between 60-70% and have more hides then scorpions (7 hides for 5 Emps) even though they tend to share them.

As for feeding, I tend to feed every two weeks and give about 15-20 crickets(depending on cricket size), if you have a male its important to regulate the amount of food intake because they tend to eat anything that moves which can lead to a fat & unhealthy Emp.
-Mark
He has one hide that he uses very very often, (a half cylinder of log) and yeah, I need to get a humidity reader but as of now I have no cash so it'll have to wait.

And I guess I'm feeding it about the same as you because I feed it twice a week but only 3-4 each time.

I'm thinking that the little bastard is just stressed out since he's only been that tank for maybe.. three or four days.

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could it be possible to post a picture of your tank?

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
And I guess I'm feeding it about the same as you because I feed it twice a week but only 3-4 each time.
you're feeding it twice as much as me. I feed every two weeks, not twice a week!

And Arnt1 were you wanting a pic of mine or Fergrim's?
-Mark

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Isn't 20 crickets every two weeks the same as three crickets twice a week?

I mean, it's more often but not more crickets. So in two weeks, mine gets 12 crickets total.

:)

More often, less crickets.. Are you saying that less often and more crickets is better?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my scorps do it all the time also,
the humidity gauge isnt that crucial, i dont have any and ive got 100% moult sucess (apart from when i started the hobby... different story)

just check the humidity by smelling the air inside, this way you can definately see whether the temp and humidity are adequate.

i dont think emperors, or any other scorps get cholesterol deposits or CHD :eek:
so fat does no necessarily mean unhealthy, all moy scorps are fat, and not one has died, they are all very healthy

EDIT, probably less crickets more often is better, let them gradually eat, not just binge feed

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WorldTour said:
And Arnt1 were you wanting a pic of mine or Fergrim's?
-Mark
Hehe... Sorry I was unclear, but I would like to see a pic of your tank (WorldTour) because of the size, but a pic from both of you would be great! :D

Last edited:

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
Isn't 20 crickets every two weeks the same as three crickets twice a week?

I mean, it's more often but not more crickets. So in two weeks, mine gets 12 crickets total.

:)

More often, less crickets.. Are you saying that less often and more crickets is better?

I have 5 Emps, thats three to four crickets per scorpion every two weeks. I dump the entire 15-20 in the tank at once and they are usually eaten over the course of the following week, so its hardly binge feeding. Having a large enclosure helps with this by making the scorpion actually work to catch its food as it would in the wild.

ArNT1, I'm currently at work, but I will try to snap off a few pics of it tonight.

-Mark

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the number of scorps you have..

Yeah, I guess I'll feed mine less often then :)

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WorldTour said:
I have 5 Emps, thats three to four crickets per scorpion every two weeks. I dump the entire 15-20 in the tank at once and they are usually eaten over the course of the following week, so its hardly binge feeding. Having a large enclosure helps with this by making the scorpion actually work to catch its food as it would in the wild.

ArNT1, I'm currently at work, but I will try to snap off a few pics of it tonight.

-Mark
Great, thanks!

Everyone has probably heard that scorpions should not have a too large tank. I know I have, but how large is a too large tank?
They manage fine living in the wild.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah mines a ten gallon, I think. I'll take a pic or two of it now, but I don't have a website to host them..

What's a good solution for webhosting?

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
because they'd need to be stored somewhere on the internet first and I don't have a website to upload them to.. unless I can just attach them directly from my hd onto this thread...like an email attachment?

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
because they'd need to be stored somewhere on the internet first and I don't have a website to upload them to.. unless I can just attach them directly from my hd onto this thread...like an email attachment?
Yeah just like an email attachment :)