What started your T love

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I was very young, one of my first memories is seeing a spider and wanting one. Then I found out about Ts : 3

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I friend of mine had a t blondi about 15years ago that he used to let walk around his living room floor and at first the sheer size of it scared me somewhat but over a few months I got used to it, it was almost just like any other spider you would find outside to me but in dinosaur form and the more I learnt the more I needed a t in my life. But to this day ive never owned a t blondi which I thinks kinda crazy as I just love big bulky terrestrial ts

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I friend of mine had a t blondi about 15years ago that he used to let walk around his living room floor and at first the sheer size of it scared me somewhat but over a few months I got used to it, it was almost just like any other spider you would find outside to me but in dinosaur form and the more I learnt the more I needed a t in my life. But to this day ive never owned a t blondi which I thinks kinda crazy as I just love big bulky terrestrial ts
Huh, what are you keeping now?

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
I don't really know what drew me to the hobby. When I was younger i saw a Trinidad chevron for sale at a local store. It was pretty cool. I bought it, and when I got home with it, I put in its first cricket. I turned around for a brief second and heard a subtle crunch... It was love then and there.

A few years ago I was showing my brother the beautiful p. Metallica. When he saw it, he was hooked. He met with some local breeders and sellers, and increased his T holdings to around 20 specimens. He got rid of them all into my care, but I imagine he will be back when he starts missing them.

tech

Arachnopeon
I purchased my first T to help get over my fear of spiders...

TheaSpider

Arachnopeon
My 4th grade teacher had many classroom pets including a rose hair and I was the only one in the class that was brave enough to help take care of it. When she wanted a family to take care of it over summer break I asked my mom and for several months we were T caretakers. After that I didn't get another T until college but I continued to like and read about their care.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I've loved spiders my entire life. Never considered a tarantula though. Not because I didn't like them, but the thought just never crossed my mind. Then repticon came and I happened to walk past a T dealer. Could have instantly slapped myself for not getting one sooner. As soon as I saw them, I was hooked. Walked out with a smithi that day.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
I was very young, one of my first memories is seeing a spider and wanting one. Then I found out about Ts : 3

Like you, I have been fascinated by creepy crawlies since I was old enough to be mobile. Kept spiders and centipedes, mantids and whatever other interesting creature in jars as a kid. When I moved out and could afford exotics, boas and pythons were my thing. Discovered inverts at the expos, and have been hooked ever since.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently have in my care a 4" g pulchra (female) a b Emilia (juve) a nhandu coloratovillosus a gbb and my newest t a beautiful grammostola anthracina sling all of which ive never owned before

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I loved catching & watching for hours on end any type of bug when I was a kid: Spiders, ants, centipedes.... Always thought that having a T would be neat, but never really went beyond that. In my mid 20's, I was posted to Western Canada for work and found the first edition of the TKG while wandering through a pet shop in Red Deer, Alberta, one day. I wore it out reading it, and was all set to buy one, but then my son was born, and T's faded from the picture. Fast forward 10 years, three postings & two provinces later, my wife came across someone selling a mature G. rosea with enclosure for $20 in one of the local classifieds. Went over to look at it, and when I put my hand in Itsy's enclosure and rubbed my index finger & thumb together to try and get her attention, she turned around, came over, and rested her front legs on my hand. Love at first touch. LOL

Now two years later, we have 8 T's, each with their own little personalities, and they range in size from the itty-bitty 1/4 inch B. vagans sling (refer to it as No Name for now, although I'm leaning towards the name Pepper), to my massive 8 inch female L. parahybana, which just molted last week and is hopefully one of the rare ones headed to 10 inches. :)

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I don't really know what drew me to the hobby. When I was younger i saw a Trinidad chevron for sale at a local store. It was pretty cool. I bought it, and when I got home with it, I put in its first cricket. I turned around for a brief second and heard a subtle crunch... It was love then and there.

A few years ago I was showing my brother the beautiful p. Metallica. When he saw it, he was hooked. He met with some local breeders and sellers, and increased his T holdings to around 20 specimens. He got rid of them all into my care, but I imagine he will be back when he starts missing them.
p. Metallicas are sooo pretty. Definitely on my wish list! I can see how they would be so drawing.
And I can't believe acquiring so many, having that much passion then giving them away (unless for health/etc of course). Watch, he'll slowly come back for one at a time :p

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 08:37 AM ----------

I purchased my first T to help get over my fear of spiders...
It seems a lot of people do this! Did it help?
To me, for some reason, a T is completely different than a spider. Maybe because all I had were garden spiders as a kid and wanted a T so bad hah

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 08:39 AM ----------

My 4th grade teacher had many classroom pets including a rose hair and I was the only one in the class that was brave enough to help take care of it. When she wanted a family to take care of it over summer break I asked my mom and for several months we were T caretakers. After that I didn't get another T until college but I continued to like and read about their care.
That's really cool. I actually plan on keeping a T with me in my office when I'm a certified psychologist ;)
I'll definitely help people with arachnophobia

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

I've loved spiders my entire life. Never considered a tarantula though. Not because I didn't like them, but the thought just never crossed my mind. Then repticon came and I happened to walk past a T dealer. Could have instantly slapped myself for not getting one sooner. As soon as I saw them, I was hooked. Walked out with a smithi that day.
Lucky duck! I want a smithi, but I have to save up money and stuff. Right now I just got an OBT sling. He/she's cute.

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 08:42 AM ----------

Like you, I have been fascinated by creepy crawlies since I was old enough to be mobile. Kept spiders and centipedes, mantids and whatever other interesting creature in jars as a kid. When I moved out and could afford exotics, boas and pythons were my thing. Discovered inverts at the expos, and have been hooked ever since.
Yeah, I was pretty similar. I'd collect all sorts of bugs in a bucket, centipedes, worms, carpenter ants, beetles, you name it and I had some grand idea of a bug circus. Obviously it ended up with some fatalities amongst predators/prey. Though from then on, my grandpa taught me how to keep them in jars.
Oh yeah!
When I was younger this girl irritated me whenever she came to my house. I was maybe 3. But I would go to the back yard, dig up some bug and throw it at her.
I was a jerk as a kid!

---------- Post added 03-27-2014 at 08:45 AM ----------

I loved catching & watching for hours on end any type of bug when I was a kid: Spiders, ants, centipedes.... Always thought that having a T would be neat, but never really went beyond that. In my mid 20's, I was posted to Western Canada for work and found the first edition of the TKG while wandering through a pet shop in Red Deer, Alberta, one day. I wore it out reading it, and was all set to buy one, but then my son was born, and T's faded from the picture. Fast forward 10 years, three postings & two provinces later, my wife came across someone selling a mature G. rosea with enclosure for $20 in one of the local classifieds. Went over to look at it, and when I put my hand in Itsy's enclosure and rubbed my index finger & thumb together to try and get her attention, she turned around, came over, and rested her front legs on my hand. Love at first touch. LOL

Now two years later, we have 8 T's, each with their own little personalities, and they range in size from the itty-bitty 1/4 inch B. vagans sling (refer to it as No Name for now, although I'm leaning towards the name Pepper), to my massive 8 inch female L. parahybana, which just molted last week and is hopefully one of the rare ones headed to 10 inches. :)
That is quite adorable! I didn't get a chance to see mine like THAT before I purchased, just behind pet store door-things. However, both were very good for the car ride and getting picked up.

I'd love to have 8 Ts! I've only got two and one sling ;A;

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Oh yeah!
When I was younger this girl irritated me whenever she came to my house. I was maybe 3. But I would go to the back yard, dig up some bug and throw it at her.
I was a jerk as a kid!;
Hahahahaha.... I did exactly the same thing as a youngster!

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
I used to be terrified of them. Of all spiders really. After a particularly embarrassing incident involving a spider I decided enough was enough and decided to conquer my fear. Which I finally did. We were on vacation and stopped at a pet store and I held a lil rose hair. I looked down at it and couldn't believe I had spent years being scared of something so small. After that I decided I wanted one of my own which I got a few weeks ago. Now I have 5 lol.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I used to be terrified of them. Of all spiders really. After a particularly embarrassing incident involving a spider I decided enough was enough and decided to conquer my fear. Which I finally did. We were on vacation and stopped at a pet store and I held a lil rose hair. I looked down at it and couldn't believe I had spent years being scared of something so small. After that I decided I wanted one of my own which I got a few weeks ago. Now I have 5 lol.
Did she just steal your heart away? My two roses really took me off my feet with love

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
Well, included in his collection are 2 female p. Metallicas. I am taking extra special care of them lol

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Well, included in his collection are 2 female p. Metallicas. I am taking extra special care of them lol
Give them little treats and work on your telepathy/spidertelepathy to tell them you love them. That's at least what I do with mine haha

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I moved to Arizona for school and encountered them in the parking lot of my apartment complex and was fascinated. I went out every night hoping to find one just to observe. I knew nothing about them then and found arachnoboards, did some research, and got my first one, an A. chalcodes a few months later. Two years and 34 more T's and I'm hooked for life!

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I moved to Arizona for school and encountered them in the parking lot of my apartment complex and was fascinated. I went out every night hoping to find one just to observe. I knew nothing about them then and found arachnoboards, did some research, and got my first one, an A. chalcodes a few months later. Two years and 34 more T's and I'm hooked for life!
I envy your collection and location! I swear with my love of heat, no humidity, succulent plants, and arachnids; I need to go live in the desert!