hello got a Grammostola rosea

Nightfury

Arachnopeon
Well I got my Grammostola rosea from a pet shop and I change the Substrate cus I found class and other things that should not be with it its like someone got it from outside and just put it in well anyway's I got some coconut husk and tryed to get much water out as I can cus I hear they don't like high humidity but there is alot of humidity in it and I didn't want to leave it what it was in so I just hope its happy but its doing a pose like its forlegs are right back like its hiding lol idk just hope its not upset or mad at me :( I would take a pic but I can't take a pic but I found a pic

P.S thie pic is not mine found on the internet and I don't know how to make the pic not as back plz forgive me Chilean.rose.tarantula.arp.jpg

Last edited:

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
It looks okay. Just keep it on some cocofiber and have a little waterdish so they can access it and you should be fine. If the substrate is too humid they may cling to the wall for a day or two, but it really should settle down.

Oddballrunt

Arachnopeon
It looks okay. Just keep it on some cocofiber and have a little waterdish so they can access it and you should be fine. If the substrate is too humid they may cling to the wall for a day or two, but it really should settle down.
That picture is not of the op's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Congradulations. If its female, hope your in for the long hall. I've had my g. Rosea for 13 years. They really don't like moist substrate, if possible, it would appreciate dry substrate. If not, the coco fiber takes sometimes a month to dry out.

Oddballrunt

Arachnopeon
Well I got my Grammostola rosea from a pet shop and I change the Substrate cus I found class and other things that should not be with it its like someone got it from outside and just put it in well anyway's I got some coconut husk and tryed to get much water out as I can cus I hear they don't like high humidity but there is alot of humidity in it and I didn't want to leave it what it was in so I just hope its happy but its doing a pose like its forlegs are right back like its hiding lol idk just hope its not upset or mad at me :( I would take a pic but I can't take a pic but I found a pic

P.S thie pic is not mine found on the internet and I don't know how to make the pic not as back plz forgive me View attachment 125375
Welcome! In the future I've found it helps to lay the coco fiber on a cookie sheet spread out and let it sit in the sun or you can slowly bake it in the oven (may cause a smell). Roseas hate wet substrate they normally will cling onto the walls until it dryers out, this is also why it's very important you have enough substrate in the cage so it can't climb very high, leg span is ideal (falls can be fatal). Also make sure you give a hide and a shallow water dish. Welcome to the hobby. Hope this helps.

Roseas are very entertaining and normally like to sit in plain sight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Hi OP just realised it's not your (actual) G,Rosea T pic? but make sure the substrate is completely dry and has a good waterdish, feed once a week on adult crickets or equivalent feeders. I live in the UK near Perth, wh where do you live?

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
What is this..."Hook up in the UK" forum?? hahahhahaha

Hi OP just realised it's not your (actual) G,Rosea T pic? but make sure the substrate is completely dry and has a good waterdish, feed once a week on adult crickets or equivalent feeders. I live in the UK near Perth, wh where do you live?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 to this, substrate should be completely dry otherwise your rosea will cling to the walls. Also make sure there is only the space equivalent to the spiders legspan between the surface of the substrate and the ceiling to prevent injury from falls =)

At first I was like "Wow nice pic and what a beautiful rosea!" haha We'd love to see your actual one, if you click 'Go advanced' in the bottom right hand corner when you are posting then you will have the option to attach an image

Ospa

Arachnopeon
My Rosea was on wet substrate for a little bit, actually it wasn't even really wet just slightly damp, but I wound up changing it within about an hour cuz I could tell she was miserable. You should just change it out instead of making her wait for it to dry out. They really hate it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
So we get back on topic ;) i agree just keep it on dry sub. I used soil fir my rosy shes liking it sofar (been 30 mins lol) but i have coco fiber and spagna peat mix bone dry for my 1" B.Boehmei hes dug up a storm.. i only used soil this time because its cheaper so u can go either way just provide a water dish. And maybe a hide if ud like some use it some dont. Mines in a quarintine bin with a pint cup burried a lil in soil for a hide a water dish and cork peice (had a random lump so put in there for my liking not hers lol)

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Nightfury

Arachnopeon
LMAO Hello guys I felt so bad for it cus it was on the side, so I got some coco fiber and pop it in the oven and dryad it out and then let it cool down and then put it in a plastic food tub, and put lot of holes in for air and cut a toilet roll in half lol for now until I can get a better hide lolbut she/he seems very happy now! And she/he has eatten for me last night but didn't see it but hoping to see the next time xD and I am a dude lol so I don't swing that way joking but I live by Birmingham and sorry if my spelling is bad and when I am able I will post a pic and she/he is about 4cm and I am planing on getting more! lol and I am wonding if I get a biger heat pad could I use it to share?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I am wonding if I get a biger heat pad could I use it to share?
You don't need supplemental heat for your rosea. Unless you keep tropical t's, the vast majority don't require supplemental heating. Rosea's in particular, can stand night temps dropping to the upper 50's, and are fine and dandy in the mid-upper 60's. Mine is upper 60's day (occasionally hitting 70), mid-low 60's at night for much of the year....and she's at least 25 years old. If you really want to heat, a space heater, heating the room is a better way to go. If you use a heating pad, you need to be very careful. They are not generally designed for t's and tend to get too hot. Some say to add lots of sub to diffuse the heat, but t's like to burrow, so that's not foolproof. The only real safe way I have heard to use them, is to heat a larger aquarium with the mat, and put several smaller enclosures inside that larger heated enclosure.

I'm sure your t appreciates that dry sub;)