For newbies that say "they're orange and cool looking"

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh please! the one there is just looking for a hug! or it wants to play tag... with its teeth...

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I always figured the cheapness and ready availability had more to do with newbies buying OBTs than how they look. I doubt your fang pic is going to dissuade them if the bite reports and a whole pile of users telling them not to get one don't...but your attempt is admirable. :3

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
agreed many moons ago when i was deciding what T i should get. the color had nothing to do with it. most people would rather buy a $10-20 T then a $40-50[thats my $0.02]. and when i heard people saying they where cool i looked into it.. and the price i was like "woah i can do fifteen bucks" then reading and i didnt step back slowly i RAN XD the color is cool but if they wanted a cool colored T woudlnt they get an A. versi? :p or maybe a brachy? maybe the orange being so bright and "i can see it no mater what" factor comes in... lol

Last edited:

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
Awesome picture but I don't see me ever getting one. Or at least not anytime soon. I'll get my OBT fix with youtube videos lol.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
4 years ago i swore to myself i won't get an OBT, 2 years after that i got a 4" female lol. Guess it all comes down to experience, persistence and avavailability. Now my girl is 5" and i'm loving her more but still no hugs haha

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
"But I did the research and have had an Avic sling for three weeks and my buddy bought a P regalis and said they weren't so bad and he's had that sling for four months!!!! I am prepared! LOLz"

Yeah, noble attempt but now the people who *should* heed this warning will only now try to buy one and piss it off.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
In general I don't think many people bother to do a whole lot of research before buying a new tarantula (indicative by some questions on the board that should be basic knowledge from the smallest amount of research), which leads me to believe a whole lot less people even bother with reading bite reports.

I see alot of new members seem to think theyre above being tagged by a P. murinus (generally before the spider arrives via the mail), for some when the spider does arrive it's a quick realisation they're over their heads, others have a more stubborn attitude and you never really see those type post here again (mainly because that attitude doesn't go far in this hobby) and thers get on just fine.

Then you also get alot of people who heavily underestimate how strong certain venoms can be, "Pssssh if my P. murinus tags me I'll only be down for the day", I mean if you actually go through the bite reports and read some of them..... you are gunna do everything you can too avoid a bite from these guys.

for anyone reading this who hasn't read any of the bite reports on P. murinus I suggest reading the user "InvertFix" bite report just to put it into perspective on how potent their venom is.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
oh please! the one there is just looking for a hug! or it wants to play tag... with its teeth...
Oh, but isn't that the FUNNEST version of tag!

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 01:46 PM ----------

4 years ago i swore to myself i won't get an OBT, 2 years after that i got a 4" female lol. Guess it all comes down to experience, persistence and avavailability. Now my girl is 5" and i'm loving her more but still no hugs haha
Aw, what's the matter, Neil? No cuddle time with an OBT xDD

BTW a lot of these responses are hilarious. Do people really come into the hobby, no experience, no knowledge of OBTs, and no Jedi-mindfulness and think it's like a very small eight legged cat?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
In general I don't think many people bother to do a whole lot of research before buying a new tarantula (indicative by some questions on the board that should be basic knowledge from the smallest amount of research), which leads me to believe a whole lot less people even bother with reading bite reports.

I see alot of new members seem to think theyre above being tagged by a P. murinus (generally before the spider arrives via the mail), for some when the spider does arrive it's a quick realisation they're over their heads, others have a more stubborn attitude and you never really see those type post here again (mainly because that attitude doesn't go far in this hobby) and thers get on just fine.

Then you also get alot of people who heavily underestimate how strong certain venoms can be, "Pssssh if my P. murinus tags me I'll only be down for the day", I mean if you actually go through the bite reports and read some of them..... you are gunna do everything you can too avoid a bite from these guys.

for anyone reading this who hasn't read any of the bite reports on P. murinus I suggest reading the user "InvertFix" bite report just to put it into perspective on how potent their venom is.
I agree alot of neebies who get it within their first 5-10 seem to think it will never happen..have no idea about them. or my favorire as i seen in i think tarantulaUS "got an obt today its my x T. Cant wait to get bit by it just to see what its like" :rolleyes:

Now dont get me wrong i think everyone needs bit once. not saying by a P. Murinus. Or even a pokie. But by something so they know how quickly everything can go down but i dont yhink you should get it waiting for a bite! Thats just crazy!

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NGLepine

Arachnosquire
My first bite was indeed... By my 2nd T. P.regalis. That was TERRIBLE!!! Not a finger, not a palm, not an arm..... My right cheek!!!! YELLOW LEGGED NINJA!!!

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
How do you guys feel about the people who HANDLE their OBTs? I personally think they are crazy!
Or ignorant to what they can do :O

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
My first bite was indeed... By my 2nd T. P.regalis. That was TERRIBLE!!! Not a finger, not a palm, not an arm..... My right cheek!!!! YELLOW LEGGED NINJA!!!
*trys to keep a strait face* i guess you had to turn the other cheek huh bahahaha coworker got bit first time last yr after 6+yrs also by a regalis... she took it between the eyebrows xc i feel bad for the 2 of u xc

---------- Post added 03-28-2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

How do you guys feel about the people who HANDLE their OBTs? I personally think they are crazy!
Or ignorant to what they can do :O
they are trying to be cool imo they r just stupid xc

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree alot of neebies who get it within their first 5-10 seem to think it will never happen..have no idea about them. or my favorire as i seen in i think tarantulaUS "got an obt today its my x T. Cant wait to get bit by it just to see what its like" :rolleyes:

Now dont get me wrong i think everyone needs bit once. not saying by a P. Murinus. Or even a pokie. But by something so they know how quickly everything can go down but i dont yhink you should get it waiting for a bite! Thats just crazy!

Just as not all spiders are created equal, neither are all new keepers created equal. Some do their homework and preliminary research. Granted, reading is not the same as experience, but it puts them a few steps above those who make impulse purchases and research after the fact.

I've been T keeping since 1978. I have yet to be bitten. >>knocking vigorously on wood<< Will it happen? Most likely but, not necessarily. Do I have respect for my Ts, especially the OW? Oh, heck, yeah!

There was a poster a few years ago who bragged about having been bitten multiple times each by his G. rosea, Avic sp, and a few other species typically known for their docility. He asked on the boards if he was ready for his first OW. "Um, no! But, can we interest you in a Stoopid sign for your forehead?"

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Just as not all spiders are created equal, neither are all new keepers created equal. Some do their homework and preliminary research. Granted, reading is not the same as experience, but it puts them a few steps above those who make impulse purchases and research after the fact.

I've been T keeping since 1978. I have yet to be bitten. >>knocking vigorously on wood<< Will it happen? Most likely but, not necessarily. Do I have respect for my Ts, especially the OW? Oh, heck, yeah!

There was a poster a few years ago who bragged about having been bitten multiple times each by his G. rosea, Avic sp, and a few other species typically known for their docility. He asked on the boards if he was ready for his first OW. "Um, no! But, can we interest you in a Stoopid sign for your forehead?"
Very true. Hope i have the same luck. But omg the end... hah made me bust out lauging xD

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer

NO ONE needs to get bit. The whole point of staying safe is to NOT get bit. There is no reason to be in pain because of this hobby, except for carelessness and unpreparedness. Just look at Poec. He has been in the hobby for 40 years and has never been bit. This is because he is extremely prepared and tried to be safe. Saying everyone should be bit is like saying every doctor should be shot or be infected with a virulent disease. It is a terrible idea with no benefit, and is just plain stupid. Anyone with half a brain should realize how terrible this sounds.

I care for all of my tarantulas inside of a towel ring on my carpet floor. The carpet slows them down and any tarantulas that wil try and bolt should end up hiding in the towels. I say should because I have been careful to not allow any tarantulas to bolt, because I am prepared. Move slowly and deliberately, have a catch cup on every shelf, and keep your hands away, and everything should turn out all hunkey-dory

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
NO ONE needs to get bit. The whole point of staying safe is to NOT get bit. There is no reason to be in pain because of this hobby, except for carelessness and unpreparedness. Just look at Poec. He has been in the hobby for 40 years and has never been bit. This is because he is extremely prepared and tried to be safe. Saying everyone should be bit is like saying every doctor should be shot or be infected with a virulent disease. It is a terrible idea with no benefit, and is just plain stupid. Anyone with half a brain should realize how terrible this sounds.

I care for all of my tarantulas inside of a towel ring on my carpet floor. The carpet slows them down and any tarantulas that wil try and bolt should end up hiding in the towels. I say should because I have been careful to not allow any tarantulas to bolt, because I am prepared. Move slowly and deliberately, have a catch cup on every shelf, and keep your hands away, and everything should turn out all hunkey-dory
I should refraze it no not everyone needs bit. but if they dont read the reports and dont take advice and just go about it their way. i think those people need to be tagged at least once to gain respect for the animals. Not saying if you aint been bit you shouldnt keep T's lol...

Typed up alot more but deleted it because it was a million lines long. And felt like i was jacking the thread.. probably should read what i didnt delete begor posting my bad *embarrassed*

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I should refraze it no not everyone needs bit. but if they dont read the reports and dont take advice and just go about it their way. i think those people need to be tagged at least once to gain respect for the animals. Not saying if you aint been bit you shouldnt keep T's lol...

Typed up alot more but deleted it because it was a million lines long. And felt like i was jacking the thread.. probably should read what i didnt delete begor posting my bad *embarrassed*

Oh hahaha that's usually a good idea

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Oh hahaha that's usually a good idea
I work nights and didnt sleep yesterday and cant sleep yet cuz got a t coming today :/.. 6hrs of sleep in 72hrs does not equal for a fully functioning cranuim x3 thats my story and im sticking to it

Ps. if poec or phobe get bit within the year i blame myself lmao xC