Keeping Phlogius Crassipes

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey just hoping those who keep Phlogius Crassipes would be kind enough to share stories about their experiences keeping this species. How are their feeding responses, actual size and growth rate, overall temperament? Most of the care sheets hardly cover the information that is useful to a keeper. ANY information would be appreciated!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They like moist, deep substrate, and will make tunnels all thru it. They should always have a full water bowl. Moderate ventilation. Mine are out at night when they're hungry. They're very fast, and like any Australian, may have a hot venom. Do not risk a bite. They're good feeders, but don't bulk up as much as many NW terrestrials do. Growth rate is moderate, not as fast as many Asian terrestrials. Males can mature in 18-24 months, but female probably take 4-5 years. If you want to improve your odds of getting a female, get several. To me, any Australian tarantula is fascinating.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Nobody else has a unique experience with this species? Do not many people keep em?
for the most part its hard to come buy Australian T's because of their very strict laws regarding export and import of wildlife. so they are not common at least in the US, but I have different Phlogius species, but I keep them like Poec54 has describe.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's about half a dozen Phlogius species I've seen for sale in this country, all courtesy of Steve Nunn's tireless efforts.

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
I recently bought a P. "Stents" from Swifts. He or she is a little bulldozer with a talent for webbing. I might be getting a P. "Black/Presley next, depending on availability.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For those of us that have been in the hobby for a while, Australians are a fantasy come true. I thought we'd never be able to get them. There are more undescribed species that I hope we can talk Steve Nunn into exporting CBB slings to Europe and the USA. He mentioned upcoming decriptions of an orange terrestrial, and arboreals from the eastern rain forests. Love to see those imported to the USA!

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Whoa, Aussie arboreals sound intense! I didn't think Australia would export wildlife at all? I wonder if Mr. Nunn can get us some captive bred Land Mullets!? Not a spider but still an awesome Aussie that should be in the reptile hobby here!

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whoa, Aussie arboreals sound intense! I didn't think Australia would export wildlife at all? I wonder if Mr. Nunn can get us some captive bred Land Mullets!? Not a spider but still an awesome Aussie that should be in the reptile hobby here!
I have spoken with Steve about future exports and he told me the cost of exporting far outweighs the rewards and the time involved going through the provisions makes it a hassle.

I don't know if he would reconsider if people pitched in a little more to export but unless someone else from Australia or Steve reconsiders aquiring a permit we may not see anymore exported.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have spoken with Steve about future exports and he told me the cost of exporting far outweighs the rewards and the time involved going through the provisions makes it a hassle.

I don't know if he would reconsider if people pitched in a little more to export but unless someone else from Australia or Steve reconsiders aquiring a permit we may not see anymore exported.
I'm hoping we can show enough of an interest to get him to do it again.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I definitely have some Australian fauna I would love to see more of in the exotic pet market, but I have to respect the hesitance of Aussie's to export wildlife. Seems like an attempt to discourage the exploitation of their native animals which some other countries could learn a thing or to from.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I definitely have some Australian fauna I would love to see more of in the exotic pet market, but I have to respect the hesitance of Aussie's to export wildlife. Seems like an attempt to discourage the exploitation of their native animals which some other countries could learn a thing or to from.
Steve Nunn only exported CBB slings.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd love to see some cbb Hadronyche slings exported - not gonna hold my breath for that happening.
That won't happen, nor should it. We have enough problems with our public image as it is, without getting funnel webs. We just had a thread here today where some idiot posted pics of a big Theraphosa on his face and an adult Poec in his mouth. Stunts like that can get everything banned. A Poec bite in the head certainly has the potential to be the first documented fatality. Apparently there's no limit to human stupidity.

Last edited:

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
That won't happen, nor should it. We have enough problems with our public image as it is, without getting funnel webs. We just had a thread here today where some idiot posted pics of a big Theraphosa on his face and an adult Poec in his mouth. Stunts like that can get everything banned. A Poec bite in the head certainly has the potential to be the first documented fatality. Apparently there's no limit to human stupidity.
I saw that guys post! Did it get deleted or something? That truly made me angry….that dude has no business with animals if he treats them like that. Break my heart if he takes a bite while doing that...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I saw that guys post! Did it get deleted or something? That truly made me angry….that dude has no business with animals if he treats them like that. Break my heart if he takes a bite while doing that...
A bite in the head from a Poec is going to be ugly, and serious; that's something that could go viral. We have enough agencies and groups wanting to ban exotics, we don't need imbeciles doing stunts for attention. They move on to the next stupid thing to do, and may have brought down all kinds of regulations on long-term serious collectors.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
A bite in the head from a Poec is going to be ugly, and serious; that's something that could go viral. We have enough agencies and groups wanting to ban exotics, we don't need imbeciles doing stunts for attention. They move on to the next stupid thing to do, and may have brought down all kinds of regulations on long-term serious collectors.
Legit…Same thing with the big snakes…and firearms for that matter. Somebody with no standards or principles does something wrong or just reckless and those who are responsible and dedicated suffer. Hey, if Mr. Nunn exported CB spiderlings, maybe he could send some CB Centralian Pythons and Inland Carpet pythons!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hey, if Mr. Nunn exported CB spiderlings, maybe he could send some CB Centralian Pythons and Inland Carpet pythons!
Don't count on it. He's not 'Australian Exports Unlimited.' I'm thrilled he exported a few species of T's.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Well, all in due time. A little goes a long way. If the man is doing his piece to contribute to helping the hobby, we could use a couple more fellas like him. Love the Australian wildlife, and it is most important it stays healthy in its native habitat. Yankees getting some to enjoy is a bonus, one we do not take for granted.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey anybody have any idea how large these actually get…does anybody have a big one? I hear they get to about 8 inches but I do not know how common a size like that is. Also, how is the bulk of the adults in comparison to P Muticus, or the big Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, etc.? Any preferences between these and other OW giants like P Muticus or H Gigas or others? Temperament and other characteristics, keeping experiences, etc.?