My Versicolor start burrowing - Is it normal?

Strider

Arachnopeon
1.5" spiderling, has not eaten in 2 months... refuses half meal worms, she built a nice webbing in the enclosure, But today I saw her burrowed in the 1" substrate... Is it normal?

Billy 5ek

Arachnopeon
I wouldnt worry. Little fella just might be in premolt. My versi never went into the sub but it did make a tube from the surface of the sub to the top of the enclosure and mostly stayed on the lower area of the tube at that size and it still does and its much bigger now. Like i said,I wouldn't. Maybe you should post a pic of the setup/spider so we can take a look.

Peace Billy

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
None of my four ever burrowed, preferring to stay near the tops of their enclosures. That's not to say they won't burrow. Mine were also eating machines. As small slings, they would sometimes even eat the day before a molt. As they got larger, there would be a short pre-molt fast. As they neared maturity, I think 6 weeks was the longest any of them declined a meal. Again, that's not to say individuals won't differ.

How long have you had it? What type of set up? What is the moisture/humidity and ventilation status in the enclosure?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They like crickets, have you tried them? All of my Avics, all ages and species (including versicolor), stay at the middle to the top of their cages. I give them cork and plastic plants as anchor points for spinning a sheet/retreat.

cold blood

Staff member
They like crickets, have you tried them?
+1 In my experience less than half of t's will take worms, many will not. I also would try crickets. At that size I would expect it to not go 2 months, but if it has a large abdomen it shouldn't be a worry. Do you have a pic?

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I only have two Avic sp. so I am by no means an expert on the genus, but it's rare for mine to refuse food for extended periods of time unless they're in premolt. Both species readily eat both small roaches and crickets in my care, so try those sorts of food items. Meal worms are very hit or miss, and I've never had an arboreal species take one. My LP was the only T I could get to reliably eat them, and even then only when she was smaller.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Avic experience is limited, but my versis would take mealworms and later, superworms from tongs. I had one versi get overly zealous and before I could present the mealworm to him, he leaped from his enclosure (about 10 inches) onto the tongs, grabbed the mealworm, and leaped back into the enclosure.

All would come down from their web lofts to hunt crickets. I tong fed the roaches to keep them from burrowing.

kanito107

Arachnosquire
What's the temperature? And how do you keep it.
If there's a hearing element how close is the versi to it?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never heard of an avic burrowing before, sounds kind of strange to me. The refusal of food for two months can be considered normal, versis tend to fast for quite a while before moulting. However you may want to try other types of feeders just in case it's fussy because that could be the reason also. I wouldn't worry about the health of the sling though, if it is well enough to burrow it is doing ok

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I only have two Avic sp. so I am by no means an expert on the genus, but it's rare for mine to refuse food for extended periods of time.
I have multiples of 6 species of Avics, and they're all good eaters. None of them are on the substrate. In my experience, an Avic that's not eating, and not in an upper part of the cage, needs a better set up or it won't last long.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have some Avics, and the only time I've seen mine go to the ground was when they were thirsty. None of them burrowed.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Do you have a picture? None of my Avics have ever burrowed. They are very rarely on the substrate at all.

Strider

Arachnopeon
Temp is fine, so is humidity.
I started putting live meal worms instead of putting half one, like I did all the time. And she started eating again ! also started webbing more towards the top of the enclosure. Thanks everyone !!
photo.JPG

persistent

Arachnopeon
looks healthy enough. And if it starting eating again things should be fine :) some Ts are fussy eaters. Feeding dead prey may not always work very well especially once your T grows bigger I've noticed