Tarantulas banished to the basement!?

reclusiveone

Arachnopeon
This is a post for all the poor t hobbyist who have a significant other that banished the t's to the basement!! :o_O: I have an unfinished basement and was concerned about keeping the temp and humidity right and didn't even know if it was possible to keep them in that environment so I started brainstorming. I got a metal storage cabinet from a guy off craigslist for 60 bucks. Insulated the inside with insulation board, and covered it with some contact paper to hide the insulated board. I got the shelves how I wanted them and drilled holes in each shelf to keep the air circulation flowing. At the very bottom I have a space heater that keeps a constant temp. I also mounted some lights on each shelf for the viewing of my t's. I toyed with the heater and finally got the temp perfect. The bottom shelves stay at about 75degrees and the top shelf stays around 70 degrees. The only issue thus far is the humidity, which I plan to add a humidifier. For now I check the humidity gauges everyday and mist and water as needed for each T. I just have some finishing details but am pretty happy with the outcome and hoped I could help someone else come up with an idea stuck in this dilemma! I'm posting a picture of my set up. Any questions feel free to ask, or other input on how I could make this set up better. Thanks for reading!!!! Sorry its sideways, cant get it to flip. 20140327_150329.jpg

Last edited:

auskie

Arachnosquire
Your setup looks great! Its sad that you and your significant other can't both enjoy them though.

delo

Arachnopeon
lol i know the feeling so i built a T room in my unfinished basement and now my wife complains I'm never upstairs! No win situation.