What would you recommend for an "intermediate level" owner?

Whiskers

Arachnopeon
I purchased my first Tarantula, a male Rosie, around the latter part of 2012.

I'm under the impression he was already mature when I bought him, because he hasn't molted even once yet he has laid at least one sperm web that I know of.

I'm concerned his days may be numbered. :(

That being said, what should I go for next? I feel like I've learned quite a bit during the time I've had him, and I really want to explore other species! I am actually considering getting another anyway, even if I have to own 2 of them (or 3? 4?!).

Cost isn't a huge issue. I can't fork out $500 for a spider, but $80-150 is within my budget.

I would like to buy a larger, more active species.

What are the costs, risks, and skill level that should be expected if I chose to own a T. Blondi? I hear they are aggressive, and escape artists. I am terrified of spiders, so I don't like the idea of waking up to a missing gigantic spider with an attitude problem.

Thanks! :D

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
The care requirements for Theraphosa are a big step up from G rosea. I would say go next to an Avic species - versicolor, purpurea, minatrix, etc. Beautiful, more active, a bit more care requirements but an excellent next step.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the Avicularia would be good, if you like arboreals. Other terrestrials would include any of the Brachypelma, other Grammostola (pulchra, pulchripes, etc), the Nhandu genus. Nhandus, generally, will be a bit more temperamental, but not out of control. True T. blondis are few and far between, but all of the Theraphosa have more rigid husbandry requirements as far as humidity, heat, etc.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Avics are defiantly a nice genus to get into, they can be more picky eaters and will jump and teleport when they want to (they are tree spiders after all) and come in lots of colors. I can also attest to the Pamphobeteus genus as being pretty easy to care for, they do get big (7 inches no problem) but mine seems pretty chill, comes out whenever I touch her/his cage and expects some food. They are also around the 30-60 dollar range (platyomma/Ecuador is the most common as I can see) and are a very underrated genus, they are also terrestrial and aren't *as* fast as some aboreals. You could also go for a Nhandu chromatus or its cousins, as they are a little more defensive but are pretty forgiving husbandry wise.

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
Get an Avic!!! Also Brachypelma albopilosum....... Curlyhair is an easy one.

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
A good step to intermediate, or a step to OW's, in my opinion would be P. Irminia or P. Cambridge or a GBB. Nice colors but with a bit more.... Pizazz!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What are the costs, risks, and skill level that should be expected if I chose to own a T. Blondi? I hear they are aggressive, and escape artists. I am terrified of spiders, so I don't like the idea of waking up to a missing gigantic spider with an attitude problem.
Theraphosa are for advanced keepers and many of them don't want one; you're still a beginner, having had only one rosea, which is hardly representative of tarantulas in general. Take your time, and get to know what other easy-to-care-for NW terrestrials are like. When you jump beyond your skill/experience level, it's not fair to you or the spider. Pace yourself and enjoy the hobby. We see too many stubborn guys that insist on jumping in the deep end, and it usually doesn't work out well. Don't go down that path. There are so many great species to choose from these days, for every level of experience. Work your way up gradually and you can overcome your fear of spiders, and at the same time come to enjoy having them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get a GBB or Blue Fang, for arboreal get an Avic

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A gbb would be great as an intermediate t easy to care for, good eaters and totally different behaviour to the grammostola species you currently own can be skittish and fast but such a great t to own and watch as it webbs the hell out of its viv

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I would definitely not recommend chromatopelma.. While they're beautiful, active, and interesting, and grow fast, they can be extremely defensive and skittish. Their webs can present a problem if you're attemoting to remove a bolus. they use their webbing like a funnelweb spider, basically. If you touch a portion of their web, they may dart out and surprise you.

IMO, rosies are NOT a beginner T.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I just got an avic avic today and it's been a small step from "Rosie" in speed so far, but it's a great way to decide if you want to get more into terrestrials or arboreals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I do love the gorgeous patterns, but after reading a bit I am quite leery. Are they generally aggressive and bitey? Also, if it jumped on me I would probably freak out.
I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure but the A. juruenicola (same genus) I have is very aggressive towards her food but as gentle s a pet rock when attempting to handle her. She is stubborn at moving :sarcasm:

Whiskers

Arachnopeon
I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure but the A. juruenicola (same genus) I have is very aggressive towards her food but as gentle s a pet rock when attempting to handle her. She is stubborn at moving :sarcasm:
Sounds good! I think I'll go with the A. juruenicola!

I'll need to buy the supplies, I'm thinking about going with a 48 gallon tank. I plan on separating it into 2 halves, securely with a mounted board, so that I can have both of my Ts in the same container safely.

What is the recommended substrate for this species? I tried searching for a care sheet specific to them, but I couldn't find anything. If you have a link to anything that would be great! :D

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm thinking about going with a 48 gallon tank.
The top and divider have to be VERY snug, as they will try to get to the other side, and many people have had a tarantula kill it's neighbor when one squeezed thru. They have nothing else to do all day, and can spend hours trying to get past a divider. It has to be firmly siliconed in place and the lid has to be heavy and tight-fitting on the divider.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I purchased my first Tarantula, a male Rosie, around the latter part of 2012.

I'm under the impression he was already mature when I bought him, because he hasn't molted even once yet he has laid at least one sperm web that I know of.

I'm concerned his days may be numbered. :(

That being said, what should I go for next? I feel like I've learned quite a bit during the time I've had him, and I really want to explore other species! I am actually considering getting another anyway, even if I have to own 2 of them (or 3? 4?!).

Cost isn't a huge issue. I can't fork out $500 for a spider, but $80-150 is within my budget.

I would like to buy a larger, more active species.

Thanks! :D
If it were me, I'd get another larger NW terrestrial. G. pulchra will get larger than a rosie, and just as easy to look after. G. pulchripes will get larger still, and still easy to take care of. An LP might be okay as a second T, but they tend to be a bit more aggressive ('pissy' is how I would describe my big girl from time to time), and they get to be enormous: Evita molted two weeks ago, and her molt is 8 inches across, I'm hoping she's headed to ten inches.

If you wanted to go arboreal, definitely +1 on the Avic, probably the best beginner arboreal out there.

Good luck. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
An LP might be okay as a second T, but they tend to be a bit more aggressive ('pissy' is how I would describe my big girl from time to time), and they get to be enormous: Evita molted two weeks ago, and her molt is 8 inches across, I'm hoping she's headed to ten inches.
7-8" average, don't hold your breath for 10. There's a number of NW tropical terrestrials that get in the same size range. LP size gets overplayed a lot by wishful thinkers.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds good! I think I'll go with the A. juruenicola!

I'll need to buy the supplies, I'm thinking about going with a 48 gallon tank. I plan on separating it into 2 halves, securely with a mounted board, so that I can have both of my Ts in the same container safely.

What is the recommended substrate for this species? I tried searching for a care sheet specific to them, but I couldn't find anything. If you have a link to anything that would be great! :D
I'd recommend getting a sling, in which case a 48 gallon tank would be far too big. Successfully rearing a tarantula to maturity is one of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby. Just my two cents.