First arboreal

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
So I've had my rose hair for a short time but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an avic or psalmopoeus because I love the arboreals. Well I finally found an avic locally today :D

Lemme know if anything should be changed. He's got a cork tube, plastic plant (from an old aquarium years ago), Eco eart substrate that I'm planning to let dry out on the top then overflow the water dish.
I think he/she looks really pretty with the colored plant :3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Is that a MM?
I'm not sure since I got "him" from a lps. I was kind of wondering the same thing though. Such a skinny abdomen. I've not had an arboreal before though so didn't think much of it knowing they're skinnier.

I'm not really interested in breeding at the moment but during summer I'll have less classes and might take a crack at it if I feel I can handle all those babies. Would be nice if I could find a pair of versicolors for that though since I know people would want them xD
Out of the tarantulas id be comfortable keeping, they are my favorite I think. Or maybe B. emilia... Those two are top of my wish list

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
He is very fuzzy and leggy is why I was wondering :) get some pics of the pedapalps and the first(?) set of legs so someone can see if he is mature. He looks like and A. Urticans, am I right?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
He is very fuzzy and leggy is why I was wondering :) get some pics of the pedapalps and the first(?) set of legs so someone can see if he is mature. He looks like and A. Urticans, am I right?
If it's from a LPS, it's probably a metallica. Urticans would be highly unlikely.

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 01:31 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I'm not sure since I got "him" from a lps. I was kind of wondering the same thing though. Such a skinny abdomen. I've not had an arboreal before though so didn't think much of it knowing they're skinnier.

I'm not really interested in breeding at the moment but during summer I'll have less classes and might take a crack at it if I feel I can handle all those babies.
You do know that mature males are short-lived, and that he may only live a few more months?

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I'll go snap a picture. I doubt it would be mature though. I'm not sure it's even 3 inches yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would put more cage furniture in there esp at the middle to high length points, as it's pretty empty IMO. Also with a water dish you don't need to overflow it.

Pics are hard to tell, looks like Avic avic or potentially metalica

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I would put more cage furniture in there esp at the middle to high length points, as it's pretty empty IMO.

I'm searching for some bigger cork.... Seems like my stores haven't restocked in a while x.x

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 03:37 PM ----------

He stretched out for a minutes and got a measuring tape. Exactly 4 in. from toe to toe

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

He came to say hi and I got a good picture of his legs

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I'm just having one heck of a day xD
My roommate called me because there was a snake blocking the stairs to our apartment (snakes are my first passion but he's scared of em). Went down and caught the little guy, seems to be some kind of colubrids. Probably a rat snake.
Gonna try to get a positive I.D. then decide on what to do with it... I live in an urban area so releasing it would more or less be a death sentence. It could barely move on the concrete, I don't even know how it got here :/

My camera has informed me that there is aspen dust all over the critter keeper but here it is.

It's a DeKay's brownsnake. I will probably release it since I've discovered they do fine in urban areas. It actually said the best place to find them is rock piles in parking lots haha. They max out at 13 inches anyway so feeding it would be a bitch....

Last edited:

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Feeding would not be overly difficult. DeKay snakes are VERY similar to Garter Snakes. Above all else, they love a large earthworm. Smaller amphibians, fish and the like are readily accepted as well. Insects can be used, but are not as readily accepted in my experience. Biggest downside to keeping these critters is the powerful musk they excrete. Your living quarters would most certainly have a very unique odor to it.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Feeding would not be overly difficult. DeKay snakes are VERY similar to Garter Snakes. Above all else, they love a large earthworm. Smaller amphibians, fish and the like are readily accepted as well. Insects can be used, but are not as readily accepted in my experience. Biggest downside to keeping these critters is the powerful musk they excrete. Your living quarters would most certainly have a very unique odor to it.
He hasn't musked his little kritter keeper yet but he musked all over my hands and the bath tub when I checked his reaction to handling. (He HATES it)
I simply don't have good access to those food items that I know of. Will they eat the flukers prepared snails?

I'm considering getting a garter snake to put with him as a nice display if I can find a good way to get them food.... Otherwise I'm gonna take him to my parents farm.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
He hasn't musked his little kritter keeper yet but he musked all over my hands and the bath tub when I checked his reaction to handling. (He HATES it)
I simply don't have good access to those food items that I know of. Will they eat the flukers prepared snails?

I'm considering getting a garter snake to put with him as a nice display if I can find a good way to get them food.... Otherwise I'm gonna take him to my parents farm.

I couldn't say whether he would accept the commercially available snails. If you have a Walmart in your area, you could always buy nightcrawlers in the sporting goods/fishing department. And every once in awhile, if you make it to a pet store, buy a few feeder goldfish. Keep a moderately sized water bowl in the tank, and toss in a fish. Keep the extras in a bowl with some aquarium gravel, and toss one in to the snakes every few days.

Not that I'm discouraging you from releasing it. Just wanted to give you another option. :)

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I couldn't say whether he would accept the commercially available snails. If you have a Walmart in your area, you could always buy nightcrawlers in the sporting goods/fishing department. And every once in awhile, if you make it to a pet store, buy a few feeder goldfish. Keep a moderately sized water bowl in the tank, and toss in a fish. Keep the extras in a bowl with some aquarium gravel, and toss one in to the snakes every few days.

Not that I'm discouraging you from releasing it. Just wanted to give you another option. :)
I thought goldfish were a big no no since they are basically swimming bags of trash? It's probably too late to release him lol I'm attached. He's an active endearing little guy.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
I thought goldfish were a big no no since they are basically swimming bags of trash? It's probably too late to release him lol I'm attached. He's an active endearing little guy.

All commercially available feeders could be argued to be less than the most sanitary food sources for captive animals. I doubt you would have any problems from it.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Well my avic is finally settled in. I almost had a heart attack this morning when I couldn't find him but he has settled into the cork tube, which will hopefully make feeding a lot easier.

Also, if anyone is curious I did release the snake

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While I don't recommend identifying Avics via a few pictures (unless it's minatrix of course) in those few pics it sure looks like A metallica. It's blue with long white tipped setae, and quite "poofy" looking, just like metallica. I certainly wouldn't breed it, as its identity is suspect, ie unknown.

David VB

Arachnosquire
I thought Avics needed plants with larger leaves to make their webs underneath? At least that's what my A. versicolor does.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
While I don't recommend identifying Avics via a few pictures (unless it's minatrix of course) in those few pics it sure looks like A metallica. It's blue with long white tipped setae, and quite "poofy" looking, just like metallica. I certainly wouldn't breed it, as its identity is suspect, ie unknown.
I probably wouldn't have anyway but I hadn't thought of this. I'll be sure not to

---------- Post added 04-17-2014 at 04:08 PM ----------

I thought Avics needed plants with larger leaves to make their webs underneath? At least that's what my A. versicolor does.
I hadn't heard this but since mine hasn't webbed yet it could very well be the problem. I'll look for something else the next time I'm at the store