feeder cricket/online purchasing

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I now live in STONE MOUNTAIN, GA not close to a pet store, can someone tell me a reputable insect dealer website where I can buy crickets online that will actually get to me alive?

I've tried roaches but none of my Ts will take them oh by the way I've only tried hissers and the ones that burrow...Any more suggestions? .

I haven't brought Ts in a while so I don't recall where to buy the feeders online

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
Try Dubia roaches. Once you get a colony going you won't have to spend any on them.. They live for a long time, don't bite, and don't stink!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
really many that sell t's also sell feeders. You can also check out the classifieds here, I know there are several people selling varieties of roaches.

kenthebugguy, net-bug and jamies sell feeders.;)

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
While dubias can be a good feeder, I might suggest looking into B. latteralis (Turkish Redhead/Runners) instead. The dubias kit the ground, go straight under the sub and stop moving. For many T's that's not enough to get their attention. I couldn't tell you how many slings I buy at shows, rehouse, and upon dumping the deli cups discover one or more dubias alive but motionless buried in the substrate. The B. lats move in the same manner as crickets, minus the annoying freakin jumping.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
B. lats are very good for smaller tarantulas, while i prefer dubias for my larger ones. It would be perfect if lats grew as big as dubias, but oh well. And yes, one neat trick to stop dubias from burrowing, just squish their heads and they won't burrow at all

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
While dubias can be a good feeder, I might suggest looking into B. latteralis (Turkish Redhead/Runners) instead. The dubias kit the ground, go straight under the sub and stop moving. For many T's that's not enough to get their attention. I couldn't tell you how many slings I buy at shows, rehouse, and upon dumping the deli cups discover one or more dubias alive but motionless buried in the substrate. The B. lats move in the same manner as crickets, minus the annoying freakin jumping.
I agree; but lats do come with their own problems. More smell, extremely fast, can invade your home. If you don't mind taking the time to tong feed, I suggest offering dubia upside down, holding it by the edge of it's shell or wings. The dubia will kick and fight to turn back over, creating plenty of movement to attract a Ts attention. Also, all my Ts balk at large nymphs and having observed them, it seems the shell of these is just too hard for them to bother with. The adults are softer and mature males rarely have a chance to burrow with my girls and guys.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
You can get crickets in bulk for a great price on Flukers website. They also have mealworms and I don't know what else.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
B. lats are very good for smaller tarantulas, while i prefer dubias for my larger ones. It would be perfect if lats grew as big as dubias, but oh well. And yes, one neat trick to stop dubias from burrowing, just squish their heads and they won't burrow at all
Any known sellers on this site or reputable sites of B. lates?

ill give those a try..

What does everyone think of Orange Head Roaches*(Eublaberus prosticus)? good feeders?

I seen some on swifts site before they sold out.

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 10:55 AM ----------

I have four juvenile Ts and about 2-3 slings and I have a Heterothele villosella / Tanzanian Chestnut who's size is between the slings and the juveniles.

which size Crickets should I buy? below? I'm bad with measurements

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 11:14 AM ----------

Never mind everyone I just got the Box Count:*250 MIX - $9.90 and Size:*4 week & MW MixMIX1$9.90 so this way I'll bhave different sizes. more than I need but oh well lol.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
[/COLOR]Never mind everyone I just got the Box Count:*250 MIX - $9.90 and Size:*4 week & MW MixMIX1$9.90 so this way I'll bhave different sizes. more than I need but oh well lol.
if your T's are agressive feeders you might be able to get away with freezing them. iv read a few places it doesnt effect the nutrition... 2 of my 4 are super agressive. i accidently crush blats pinheads from time to time and when i do i know my avic will eat them. also my adult rosea she dont care if its dead alive head crushed anything. all i got to do is drop it in. it hilts some of her silk and no more then its in there and its gone... i do this with my MM dubias every now n then typically ill thaw one out and my gecko will num on it[usually gets live tho]. or ill feed it to my rats. but now ik when i expand my roaches again my rosea will take the frozen thawed too o.0 XD just a thought

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I suggest B. lateralis also. Dubia are sometimes impossible to use as feeders, they just dont get as good a feeding response. If your going to order Lats, the absolute best place to order is from aaronpauling.com. His prices are extremely cheap, roaches are very healthy, and he is a great guy to deal with. $30 will get you 1K lats shipped.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I suggest B. lateralis also. Dubia are sometimes impossible to use as feeders, they just dont get as good a feeding response. If your going to order Lats, the absolute best place to order is from aaronpauling.com. His prices are extremely cheap, roaches are very healthy, and he is a great guy to deal with. $30 will get you 1K lats shipped.

Very upset I told them to send me 250 crickets and FLUKERS.COM sent a bunch of meal worms or whatever these are.

I really doubt any of my Ts are going to eat these and if I feed these to my Ts won't these burrow then come back up during a molt and eat/kill them?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
instead of, I emailed them a "credit request" so now I'm waiting on what I hope will be a positive (in my favor) response.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Even after a short time dealing with crickets as feeders, I highly suggest to go roach. I'm getting a colony set up when the weather is warmer. Crickets just really irritate me to the point of where I want to eat them out of frustration(mainly when they drop legs, and are extremely difficult to get with my feeding tongs). Lately I've been beheading them with scissors for my sling and smaller scorpions, but I still want to go roach. Besides, I sort of like roaches as long as they are not infesting my home ;)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Wait a second, didn't you order 4week + MW?
smh yes, forget my last 2-3 post I thought that meant 250 mixed sizes of crickets oh well my fault.

I do admit that.

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 11:41 AM ----------

Even after a short time dealing with crickets as feeders, I highly suggest to go roach. I'm getting a colony set up when the weather is warmer. Crickets just really irritate me to the point of where I want to eat them out of frustration(mainly when they drop legs, and are extremely difficult to get with my feeding tongs). Lately I've been beheading them with scissors for my sling and smaller scorpions, but I still want to go roach. Besides, I sort of like roaches as long as they are not infesting my home ;)
I'm definitely looking roaches instead because I just realized the mistake I made was MY fault not Flukers. I feel dumb lol

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

Wait a second, didn't you order 4week + MW?

Great news!!

Since it was my fault I ordered the incorrect item, I thought I might as well see which of my Ts will eat them.

First I started with my super webber,
a Heterothele villosella / Tanzanian Chestnut because he/she seems to always be out and alert as soon as I drop it on the webbing the T was on the mealworm like a shadow so I guess this guy will be eating all these meal worms lol....maybe this was a Good mistake....What this tells me is that heavy Webbers are the best eaters of meal worms because the MWs will cause a vibration and as a consequence get eating before they get a chance to bury themselves.

Even though I know this now I will not be buying any more MWs I'll stick with roaches.