Aesthetic Enclosures

auskie

Arachnosquire
In my opinion designing a cool looking enclosure is one of the most underrated aspects of tarantula husbandry. Do any of you have impressive looking enclosures? Where do you find your natural wood, fake plants, and cool esoteric decorative objects? I've been trolling through craft stores and big box retail stores for a while looking for inspiration but leave empty handed every time. I've been thinking about trying my luck at the local flea market soon.

Use this as an opportunity to show off your cool enclosures.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
I gather all my decor besides for plant from the great outdoors. Be sure to sterilize it. I have a cow skull in one of my enclosures which my P.murinus has webbed and calls it home. I find that kinda interesting. It's just a matter of what u think is impressive.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Thrift shops, yard sales, eBay...repurposing containers allows more $$ for t's. I have a P. regalis who is very happy in a "Pasta Express!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Be sure that your decorations aren't hazardous for the spider, like hard, sharp objects in case it falls off the sides of the cage. First priority is the spider's comfort and well-being; artistic considerations are secondary.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Couldn't agree more =) I'm a huge fan of acrylic enclosures, they look fantastic. Here are a few example of mine

As you can see I spend a lot of time crafting them lol I'm very into display for my Ts

A.geniculata

IMG_1735.JPG

P.regalis

IMG_1723.JPG

P.murinus

IMG_1739.JPG

B.smithi juvie

IMG_1740.JPG

P.metallica sling on top, A.versicolor juvie on the bottom

IMG_1741.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Zuk, who's the vendor of your acrylics? They have a design and use of metal screws I don't typically see here in the USA

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks. Looks pretty good, too bad they went with a mesh screen top though. I like that it comes apart, makes it easy for moving across country etc. I wonder if they would make a top piece w/ventilation like the sides instead of the screen. Looks like the door slides up in one piece from what I could tell.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Your cages are amazing Suzuki. I've got some decent looking setups for my larger enclosures, but yours put mine to shame. Excellent!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zuk, who's the vendor of your acrylics? They have a design and use of metal screws I don't typically see here in the USA
They are designed and produced by a company named Geometry Park, 亚克力. In the past others have asked me to get them in touch however I've never been able to find any trace of the company outside of China. The enclosures in vespers link are also acrylic but they're a different design. Here's a link to the P.regalis and A.genic enclosures for more details =)

http://tradearchive.taobao.com/trad...pm=a1z09.2.9.9.D9ozZa&tradeID=226365359377200

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.288.yO3aQl&id=13210902236&_u=4up4bbodb68

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM ----------

Your cages are amazing Suzuki. I've got some decent looking setups for my larger enclosures, but yours put mine to shame. Excellent!
Thanks LW =) I'd be interested in seeing your setups ae!

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I'll post some pictures after the next feeding round. They're pretty simplistic, but I like them.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, mate. You came a long way with those enclosures and T's since you started :) Looking awesome suzuki!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are designed and produced by a company named Geometry Park, 亚克力. In the past others have asked me to get them in touch however I've never been able to find any trace of the company outside of China. The enclosures in vespers link are also acrylic but they're a different design. Here's a link to the P.regalis and A.genic enclosures for more details =)

http://tradearchive.taobao.com/trad...pm=a1z09.2.9.9.D9ozZa&tradeID=226365359377200

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.288.yO3aQl&id=13210902236&_u=4up4bbodb68

I had a feeling yours were not from the Vesper link due to your location. The arboreal out of Geometry Park looks like just the other one though. I wonder if one of them took the other company's design and copied it, that wouldn't surprise me.

The arboreal one Vesper found uses a screen top and that concerns me my Avics might get stuck at some point. It appears the models you have do not, correct?

Is there anything you have noticed that is of poor design, or you would change?

Zuk, it looks like the arboreal model's door "lock" by a plastic lever only at the bottom. If so, do you think a larger T could open the door at least enough to squeeze out the top? Larger meaning a Lv or P rufilata, arboreals 6" and up basically. One of the mechanism Ts will do to force lids open over time is continually build up webbing at the point of weakness and ultimately with enough webbing the crack is opened enough to give them leverage to push it open just enough for them to escape.

I found this with Geometry Park pictures, but who knows, maybe the guy ripped them off the web, I don't know. The blue schematic at the top seems to have a lower left locking door mechanism, hence my question.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Acry...ptile-terrarium-15cm-15cm-25cm/728748533.html

The price is good that's for sure.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, mate. You came a long way with those enclosures and T's since you started :) Looking awesome suzuki!
Haha thanks ae! Hard to believe it's been two years now, I was thinking of making a picture thread depicting all of them to give others ideas, what are your thoughts? I don't want to show off, I just want to give others some ideas

---------- Post added 04-05-2014 at 08:31 AM ----------

I had a feeling yours were not from the Vesper link due to your location. The arboreal out of Geometry Park looks like just the other one though. I wonder if one of them took the other company's design and copied it, that wouldn't surprise me.

The arboreal one Vesper found uses a screen top and that concerns me my Avics might get stuck at some point. It appears the models you have do not, correct?

Is there anything you have noticed that is of poor design, or you would change?

Zuk, it looks like the arboreal model's door "lock" by a plastic lever only at the bottom. If so, do you think a larger T could open the door at least enough to squeeze out the top? Larger meaning a Lv or P rufilata, arboreals 6" and up basically. One of the mechanism Ts will do to force lids open over time is continually build up webbing at the point of weakness and ultimately with enough webbing the crack is opened enough to give them leverage to push it open just enough for them to escape.

I found this with Geometry Park pictures, but who knows, maybe the guy ripped them off the web, I don't know. The blue schematic at the top seems to have a lower left locking door mechanism, hence my question.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Acry...ptile-terrarium-15cm-15cm-25cm/728748533.html

The price is good that's for sure.
No that wouldn't surprise me either, from the Chinese you can tell it's been translated from English to Chinese also, however the company here is large enough that it could be a legitimate branch of the main firm (which I can't find anywhere else lol)

Yes the ones here have no screen, there are enclosures you can purchase that are the same as vespers link there, however they are from a different company and are far more expensive than the others.

The design is very aesthetically pleasing, but there are a few issues with them. One is the locks on some of the models, my regalis enclosure has a slide down door which sticks a bit, so I can't really enter 'unanounced' you know? But my regalis is a sweetheart so it's no issue for me. Most of them have little slide down locks made of acrylic, they are pretty strong. Also these enclosures don't do so well with fossorial species, when they are filled with compacted dirt it weakens the structural integrity over time, so I put my fossorials in different enclosures. However these enclosures are fantastic for any arboreal or terrestrial =)

Those are the geometry enclosures yes, most of the enclosures have locking mechanisms like that. Price is great for sure!