Scolopendra galapagoensis breeding project.

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
Well, this thead will be my record of the breeding project of my S.galapagoensis. Everything will be updated as long as anything chaned.
So make long story short, both of my Darwin's matured last year, and now I'm looking forward to breed them.
Male was introduced into the female's enclosure on 2014/04/01, before mating I fed both male and female fully full with superworm and red runners a few days ago.
2014/04/01 20:00
The male was put into the female's tank, it first wandered around for several minutes and noticed the female inside her burrow. Slowly the male start entering the female's cave with antenna flapping much faster then normal, the female seemed to be pretty upset from being disturbed while sleeping and raised her body up into defense mode just like a cobra. The male pulled back right away, but did not went far, instead of wandering around, he settled himself right beside the entrance of the female cave.
IMG_0601.jpg

2014/04/02 02:00
The female woke up and noticed the male. Her mood seemed not too bad and she start tapping the resting male with her antenna. The male also tapped her in response. Everything looks good so I went to sleep.

2014/04/02 06:30
Woke up and noticed the two pedes now stayed in the female's cave together, with their rear end tangled around everything looks good.

2014/04/02 22:00
Came home and noticed the sperm web was made, however can't tell spermatophore was inside the female or not. The couple still stays together with their rear end holding each others'.
IMG_0603.jpg

2014/04/02 22:30
The couple start taking action right before I lay onto bed. Wile the male moving out the cave he keeps tapping the female's rear end with his rear pair of legs, and the female followed him - by her rear leg instead of antenna ! The male leads her to the former made sperm web and went throught it. After a different pattern of rear end shaking the female now turned and faced the male's rear end with her head. She then laid her head above the male's rear end and keep rubbing the male. The male pede raised a pair of his leg to ensure the female stays on his back during the whole process. This action kept on going for more than a hour and I really need some rest...
IMG_0604.jpg

2014/04/03 06:30
The couple moved into "their" cave again. With the sperm web almost destroyed. No spermatophore visible from the anus of the female, but the surroundings seemed to turn somewhat pale/white.

2014/04/04 00:30
Came home late and noticed the female resting outside the cave while the male stayed inside, the pale/white part of her anus seemed to be more visible. Carefully took a photo.
IMG_0605.jpg

2014/04/04 15:00
The male is now wandering around, and the female ignore him completely. I guess no matter they successfully mated or not it is time to separated them.

2014/04/04 17:15
Remove the male from the female's enclosure since the male now tried to avoid the female(female still ignore him completely). Since the substrate will be to thin I also removed my female pede to reconstruct her enclosure. Adding the substrate to 15cm in depth which allows her to burrow down and construct a chamber.(Damn it's hard for a centipde with 25cm body length to make chamber isn't it?)
This is my female pede. IMG_0611.jpg

Last edited:

Neil TW

Arachnopeon
Actually I nearly bred this species once... failed because my last female pede suffered from dystokie and died... beside 60 eggs she already laid...
However last time I didn't make record... at all...(another fail...)

Hemihomo spp

Arachnopeon
Are you sure about that? Scolopendra galapagoensis are matriphagic. The female will die at some point so the new hatched babies can have the corpse of their mother as their first meal.