spinifer sealed itself for 1-2 months

sVE1

Arachnopeon
One of my spinifer's have sealed itself in one of the caves for 1-2 months or so.. starting to wonder what is up.. I dont know their age so it might be that..
I've constantly "smelled the tank" and havent smelled anything yet atleast..
Should I take a look or wait some more? Say if I do, if I see its okay, should I reseal it?

Thanks..

Sven

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im guessing maybe possible birth? :?

I dont know. Do a search. This happens to a LOT of people

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1-2 months is very long for heterometrus, mine didnt even seal her burrow up at all...

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply's.. I did search a bit but dident find that much info regarding spinifers..

Ive had 2 spinifers in the same cage for about 8-9 months or so now.. All was well, 3 months ago they stopped eating. My first thought was that since the temp was lower they thought it was winter time (I read somewhere they calm down during the "winter"). I had a bit of a problem keeping the tank temp above 25c during the winter months.

Then one morning one of the cave's with two entrances was COMPLETLY sealed off, I still cant understand how it could seal it so good. The amount of bark/forrest floor over the entrances is quite a bit.

1 month or so ago the other one started to eat and seems healthy. But it stays mostly in its cave, compared to before.. But after what I understand, thats a good sign?

So what do you guys think? Time for me to dig a bit to check it out? My fear has been that with the amout of bark/forrest floor over the entrance maybe it cant get out, or is this not likely? Never had any scorps seal themselfs up before (this are my first scorps)

Thanks in advance..

Sven

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its up to you whether you want to dig her out or not, but IF she has babies, then you will probably have to separate them.
this is not normal...

but seeing the temp is 25C (i lost 2 emperors by bad moulting in this temp)
maybe she has cealed up the burrow to help the babies moult,

so asap UP the temp to 30oC

digging it out is your decision

sVE1

Arachnopeon
I think you misunderstood me a bit, the temp at the time it dug itself down was 25c. Its been 29c'ish for around 1-1.5months or so now. I did messure it yesterday with a laser messurement tool inside one of the caves to 29.4c.. That cave is open, So the temp inside the cave which is sealed must be warmer that 29.4c..

I guess I'll give it a little more time then before digging it up. But if this happend to YOU, what would YOU have done... waited or dig? :)

Thanks

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm, im not giving advice here just opinions! if your scorp dies or eats its babies it will be my fault!

i dig my baby laoticus up fairly often and these guys burrow like little shovels, do what you feel is best, when i first dug up by babies to remove them from the mother i was saying "oh s**t, i shouldnt have done this" but now not one died so im happy i did it :O

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Rest assured, I'm not looking for someone to blame if things go wrong :)

I want to do what it best for my scorps, and since Im fairly new with them, Im a bit uncertain what actually IS the best thing to do..

But lets say she has kids, and they all die because I dig them up, I would not be that sorry. Im not ready for alot of scorplings and was planning to get rid of them anyways. But if the mother dies because of it, ofcourse it would be sad :(

Hard discission to make, but I'm soooo curious.. hmmmmm

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm, the babies wont die if you dig them up, if you are careful (and dont take a coffee break when the burrow collapses!)

so i say do it (no strings attatched!), just get it over with, and if you have babies, then you can sell them off for about £30 or more or less depending on where u live and how many babies you have.
h.spinifer babies are rarer in the trade than emps, so they should be sold like wild fire

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Okay, I'll start digging as soon as I get home.. I'll post my "findings" later..

Thanks for your advice

sVE1

Arachnopeon
Okay, I did some digging, and found one dead scorp :( Been dead for a while, it was all crispy. After closer inspection, underneath it it seems like the "shell" has a large crack. So I guess they have been fighting :(

Oh well, atleast I got it out and the mystery is "solved". I'll get him a new "play mate" when my new tank is ready in abouth a month or so, maybe even two new buddy's :)