Have mercy on this newb<----

DanielM

Arachnopeon
Hello all, as the title suggest I am a complete and total newb to the whole world of tarantulas. I promised my daughter since the age of 5 that i would get her a T for her 10th Birthday which is around the corner and she has never stopped reminding me of this. So with that being said i am asking for the advice of all you Pro's out there in helping me make the right decisions for our 1st T. So far I have a 10 gallon aquarium tank, a half log, a thermometer/ hygrometer, 100% natural Cypress mulch for substrate(is this ok?), shallow water dish and Sphagnum Moss. My daughter has her heart set on a Goliath BE but from what i read they are aggressive and generally not recommended for beginners, but I'm open to advice from anyone who has had one and can verify that. The other 2 T's that catch our attention is the Brazilian salmon pink BE and the chaco golden knee. would anyone recommend one over the other and why? also i don't think we'll be handling our T anytime soon. I live in NY if that helps, should i get a heating mat, the guy at the pet store said i needed one but couldn't find any solid info on the net for these species that justifies that purchase. last but not least of my questions is where is the best place to order one of these T's, from all your real world experience, website, magazine, craigslist lol where? thanks in advance for any and all help i can get from you Pro's.:biggrin:

Daniel

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
First, remove that mulch and put the coco peat or peat moss instead.
Heating mat is not needed.
Chaco golden knee (G. pulchripes) is arguably the best beginners tarantule, get it ;) They are generally docile and good eaters.
As i am not from america, i cannot help you with pet stores, so someone else should chime in with those informations.
Also, if you can choose, pick the sexed female and sized 3"+, so you are sure she will live long.
And yes, be prepared, this hobby is very addicting, alot of people don't end on just one tarantule :)

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Ok, I'd advise against getting Theraposa stirmi (goliath bird eater) as they have specific care requirements that even experienced owners can have issues with also prone to molt issues and such.

Your other two choices Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) and Lasiodora parahybana (salmon pink bird eater) are good choices, they can both be tempermental but if you have no plans on handling that shouldn't be an issue.

The Grammostola pulchripes is generally of a more docile disposition than Lasiodora parahybana although being a Grammostola they can have mood swings and go through occasional fasting periods.

The Lasiodora parahybana will grow alot faster and reach a larger size, anything up to 10". Where as the Grammostola pulchripes will reach up to 8" or so.

I'm unfamiliar with the substrate you plan on using so can't help there, I'd suggest coco fibre (brick form) or peat moss (make sure its clean of fertiliser and other chemicals).

The 10g tank will be fine for an adult anything under I'd suggest downsizing.

The US users will give info on where to buy.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The chaco golden knee (g.pulchripes) is a great beginner T as they are usually calm and and hardy. Though if you get a sling (baby spider) that would be far too big for it. Also Ts do not need heating mats, if you are comfortable in your house so is your T. As for their care its simple: Fill the sub-strait (I wouldn't use cypress, eco earth will work much better and I can't recall if cypress mulch is toxic to them or not) high enough that the T's leg span is larger than the gap you've provided. For example if you have a
5 inch spider then make sure the gap between the top of the tank and top of the sub is less than 5 inches. All you'll need is a water dish to overflow every so often but sphagnum moss can help as well but is not necessary. If its a ten gallon I'd suggest at least 5 inches of sub but a 10 gallon will be big for the spider unless you get a +5 incher. You can feed them once a week with the prey item being around the same size of the abdomen, though my g.pulchripes will take out food bigger than that but I don't make it a regular occurrence.

For where to buy them look up local reptile shows as they are pretty common there and its not too hard to find a 3 inch female at a good price. You can also order online but you will most likely find slings and those are more challenging to keep as they are more delicate and would a very very small container.

Last edited:

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
Glad to hear you're getting into the hobby! Like said above, T. Stirmi (Goliath BE) is not for beginners, I have one.. And it's a pain in the butt with the care requirements.. But! The Chaco Golden Knee is a great choice! Beautiful, docile, and easy to take care of. As of where to get it in the US? If you're wanting a sling (less that 1.5in) then jamiestarantulas.com but if you're wanting a bigger size then check out swiftinverts.com of kenthebugguy.com or check the classified ads on here. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
A lot of good stuff has been said already. I'll try to break my response down into a list for organizational purposes. Forgive me if (and when) I repeat anything that has already been said.

1) Cypress mulch should be swapped out for something else. Viable options are coco fiber (arguably the most popular substrate), peat moss, vermiculite, or bagged top soil. If you get anything always triple check to be sure that it is free of pesticides, fertilizers, etc. Those are very harmful to a T and will result in a dead spider. Personally I use coco fiber with only a bit of moss at the top for decorative purposes. If I need to keep the substrate moist, or give it structure I mix in about 25% vermiculite.

2) There are a lot of books you can find to help you learn what to do to keep your spider happy. The most popular of which is The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, 3d Ed. by Stan and Marguerite Schultz. Another good one (that I personally think is an easier read for a jumping off point) is Tarantulas by Michael Jacobi. I'd recommend getting and reading them both. There are others, I'm certain, but those are the two that come to mind. Be sure to do this before you get the spider.

3) Heating mats are generally not a good idea with tarantulas, because they tend to burrow to avoid heating or cooling problems. If you've got a heat mat underneath the substrate, you'll see them retreating to the sides of the cage, etc. if it's too much. A better solution if you require extra heat is to have a space heater for your tarantula area. Be aware that it should not be too close to your enclosure. It is far better for your tarantula to be slightly too cold than to be too hot. Heat will dehydrate and kill a tarantula where unless you're living in a particularly chilly house, colder temperatures (for most species) will only slow their metabolism. Since you won't be starting with a T that requires high humidity and slightly more heat (like H. lividum, T. stirmi, etc) you won't need to worry too much about this. For the common beginner species, a house in the 70s is fine.

4) If you want to use a 10 gallon tank, that is okay. Just be aware that a 10 gallon tank is the size of tank you'll be using for an adult spider. Some of the larger species (L. parahybana, T. stirmi) can even use more space. If you plan to start with a smaller spider, you'll want to use a smaller enclosure until it grows a bit.

5) On to my suggestion for species: if your daughter is looking for a large spider (as it would seem is the case since she is asking about a T stirmi (T blondi is the "true" goliath bird eater, but stirmi is readily available, easier to care for and gets just as big)) a Lasiodora parahybana is a great starter spider. It gets nearly as large, and is much much easier to care for. They eat a ton, grow well, are readily available, have no special care requirements and even if you buy into a sexed female are still affordable. I regularly see 5-6'' females going for 100 or so dollars. The one caveat, though, is if she wants to handle this species is not generally good for it. Mine is super docile, but that is a rarity. Usually they are skittish. They do love to sit out in the open once they are bigger though, so they make great display spiders. Another species that is good for beginners is Grammostola pulchripes or its harder to find cousin Grammostola pulchra. Both are generally docile, easy to care for (no special care requirements, keep them dry with a water dish) and get fairly large (8 inches or so). If she likes big black spiders, G. pulchra is hard to beat, if a bit harder to find. You also probably wouldn't want to buy into a female pulchra to start, just because they tend to be a bit more pricey. A third suggestion would be anything from genus Brachypelma. B. smithi is the "hobby classic," and is therefore the most recognizable, but they all make great starters. They like to flick urticating hairs, but they are a lovely genus. I can't recommend them to beginners enough. Generally, they top out at around 6 inches, so if your daughter is set on a big big spider they may not suit her desires. Yet another good starter (that so often goes unmentioned and I boggle at why every time) is Eupalaestrus campestratus. This spider is easily the most consistently docile species (beyond my next and final suggestion) I've ever seen. Like the others I mentioned, they are easy to care for, and are very easy to deal with. Like the Brachypelmas, they get to be around 6 inches tops. Average somewhere in the 5 inch range. I find their coloration to be very pretty as well. Finally, my last suggestion is either Euathlus sp. red or Euathlus sp. yellow. These are dwarf tarantulas, so they top out at only around 3 inches or so, but man are they the most docile and curious spiders I've ever seen. They seldom run away from anything, never flick hairs, never throw a threat posture (that I've seen) or anything like it. As a bonus, I usually see sexed females run from 60-100 dollars making them easy to pick up fully grown (they're slow growers, as are many of the spiders on this list).

6) Places to buy from that are reputable are the classifieds here, Swift's Inverts, Ken the Bug Guy, Michael Jacobi's Spider Shoppe, Jamie's Tarantulas, Pet Center USA, and Net-Bug. I've bought from most of these vendors (and multiple people here on this site) and can recommend any of them. If you need links to these sites, feel free to PM me.

I know I had a couple more things to say here, but I lost myself in my suggestion point, so I'll cut it short for now. If I remember what else I had to say, I'll make sure to tell you! Good luck, and welcome to the hobby!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You want to avoid the common beginner mistake of selecting species that are way beyond their skill level. Theraphosa are for advanced collectors, and a lot of them aren't up to it. There's some great suggestions in this thread for other spiders better-suited for you. You want it to be a positive experience for you and your daughter, and choosing the right species is a major part of it.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I would also advise against a t. blondi or stirmi. The LP (salmon pink) might not be a great idea just because of its size, skittish-ness and horrible hairs, but to each their own. G. pulchripes (chaco) would be a great 1st T. I personally like their coloration and they get fairly large (8 in. or so). Many Brachypelma species make nice beginners. I started with a rose hair and she's been great. I've been told that slings are more difficult to care for but, so far my little guys are great. One just pooped on me actually :D.
NO HEATING PAD NECESSARY. I keep mine at room temp with a water dish and they are fine. I mist my irminia's tank occasionally though. I use Eco Earth coconut fiber. It holds moisture pretty well. A 10 gallon tank would work just be sure to minimize the climbing space for terrestrials. I found my rosea in a bad spot and had to rescue her and then rehoused her. A popped T isn't something you want.
It all depends on what you're looking for. I'd start with an adult or subadult Brachy or Grammastola, but that's just me. You just have to remember each T has its own personality so to speak. Some rose hairs are evil and some OBTs are... handleable. Its an addicting hobby so there's always room for more advanced spiders. The right T will make an awesome experience for you and ensure the well being of the spider. Good luck!!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all, as the title suggest I am a complete and total newb to the whole world of tarantulas. ...
WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

I have spent a major portion of my life answering your questions. While some will disagree with a few of my recommendations, most enthusiasts will agree that they will safely get you started in the hobby. Go to the Spider, Calgary website and start reading BEFORE YOU WASTE ANY MORE MONEY ON USELESS JUNK! Especially, read Stan's Rant and as many of the recommended books as you can find.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

You need to throw away all your predispositions and prejudices about pet care. Almost none of the standard rules apply to tarantulas. You need to relearn everything, to view the world from the perspective of a large, fuzzy spider!

Make sure your seat backs and tray tables are secured in an upright position. Fasten your seat belt. Hold on tight. This is going to be one H*** of a ride!

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Everybody else has given you a good idea on care in terms of substrate etc so I won't be a broken record.
You'll find that tarantulas are simple and pretty tough so long as you follow those basics.

As far as species go, the goliath (either T. stirmi or T. blondi) is a no-no based on care and temperament.
The salmon pink (Lasidora parahybana) is a no-no based on temperament---mine is still a little thing (2.5 inches) and it is very skittish and bolts (quicker than you'd think). I certainly wouldn't want to handle it, especially not give it to a child.

My recommendations would Euathlus sp. red/yellow, Grammastola pulchripes plus to a lesser extent Grammastola pulchra and certain species of Brachypelma (emilia, smithi, albopilosum or albiceps). I've experience with all of those minus the B. emilia and B. smithi.

These are all fairly easy to care for, pretty and as a rule docile but the trade-off is they are relatively slow-growing and can be a little pricier compared to a L. parahybana. However (particularly with the Euathlus sp. as they are teeny are babies and extremely slow-growing) I would save up and find a sexed female of decent size.

If I may make a small suggestion: it will be easier (and more accurate) if you begin thinking (and dealing) with the scientific names vs pet trade names :)
Reason being is that pet trade names vary from store to store and can be applied to different species so what's a goliath bird eater in one place is not the same species in another. Which can be frustrating when trying to get an accurate picture of size, temperament and needs etc.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
The one thing I will add in response to a post made a couple replies ago: the size of a tarantula has nothing to do with ease of care. A 4 inch tarantula is just as easy to care for as a 10 inch tarantula, assuming they have similar requirements regarding humidity, etc. If you shy away from larger species, that's okay, but don't let someone get it in your head that a large tarantula is somehow "more advanced" solely because of its size. A Lasiodora parahybana is a great starter as long as you and your daughter understand it's not generally good for handling.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree LP are amazing "beginner" T's no dought, that has nothing to do with size, but just because of it's potential size of 7-10"+ in some people does put (not fear but apprehension) in handling such a large spider, plus LP (CAN) be very territorial over space and attitude changes (as most T's do), so yes DONT be put off by it as they are rewarding to own.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm still of the opinion: Especially for kids (!) Euathlus sp. "red" / "yellow" are the perfect start into tarantulas! I know of exactly -one- speciemen that was hairflickery and I have never found any bitereport, nor did I hear any from befriended t-keepers. I can understand the wish for an "impressive, big" tarantulas right from the start, but why not start small, see how it goes, with the possibility of expanding after that? Those T's rarely get over 3", alright, but they're cute as a button and by nature are always "curious" (in lack of a better term) - every single one of mine starts to climb out on its own the moment the cage is opened. They're exploring immediately, wandering around, don't care if it's a hand or the bed or floor. They move slow, deliberately, but can sprint a little if spooked. Mine never kicked hairs either.

Only downsides: They grow extremely slowly and are not the best eaters at all. So if this is something you decide to look into, get a juvie or adult sexed female.

So, considering this T is for a 10 year old kid, that might be something to consider. Just my 2 cents!

Pics of one of my Borg-collective (~1.5" and was recently rehoused in the 3x as big container):

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Completely agree with Storm76, Euathlus sp red/yellow are better for the beginner/starter, they are really mellow T's and not very large in adult size, as mentioned they are reasonabley slow growing T's but have very easy care but also very rewarding to keep plus amazing coloration over molts, got to admit they are better in attitude than any LP.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Completely agree with Storm76, Euathlus sp red/yellow are better for the beginner/starter, they are really mellow T's and not very large in adult size, as mentioned they are reasonabley slow growing T's but have very easy care but also very rewarding to keep plus amazing coloration over molts, got to admit they are better in attitude than any LP.
They also take way less space :)