What should come next?!?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I have a g. rosea, l. parahybana, a. geniculata, and p. irminia. I'm slightly intimidated by the irminia because I'm used to my T's not wanting to kill me every second they have :cry: but I suppose that comes with the territory. I am not afraid of any species, and I do respect them. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what would be a good next T. Terrestrial and arboreal and NW and OW are all options. Any personal experiences with more aggressive species would be helpful!!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'm on an Ephebopus kick at present. These guys are lovely, terrestrial and would make a good gateway into the world of OWs, being quick and a bit different from your average terrestrial NW. Also maybe Phormictopus? They get big but also have the speed and ferocity to also be a great transition T. You also seem to be severely lacking in Avics.
I have quite a few Ts on the more defensive/aggressive side of things. The key is to expect anything and be ready for it, have barriers ready (catch cups on hand,keep the lid of the container in your hand or at least in easy reach, have a helper, etc), as well as giving them their space and a place to hide. In my experience, if they know they have somewhere safe to run, they'd much rather do that than attack; I leave mine alone as much as possible. You can also disturb them slightly before having to do maintenancen (usually just picking up the container will suffice, as you've probably already learned), which, if they have that safe place, they'll go hunker down in, leaving you to do your thing in relative safety.

Last edited:

David VB

Arachnosquire
C. cyaneopubescens maybe? It looks awesome and can be a pain in the ass ;) Or P. metalica?

awiec

Arachnoprince
C. cyaneopubescens maybe? It looks awesome and can be a pain in the ass ;) Or P. metalica?
I don't think he needs to accidentally loose an 125 dollar spider (even if its one of the most chill pokies), as the P. irminia already is intimidating enough for him. I would go with an avic as they are skiddish and kinda fast, they are far more relaxed than your P.irmina, they do shoot poop but I've never had mine attempt to do it. Though a GBB as suggested above will also work as they can be a little feisty but are hardy and quite the lookers. If you're looking into OW then you need to master your P.irmina first then move onto to the Tapinauchenius genus (NW) as they are probably the fastest T you can get, have some attitude but not as serious of a bite. But if you have your heart set on an OW I would suggest the Ceratogyrus genus as they are more curious than naught and are on the smaller side or get a dwarf like H.villosella as they are feisty but you won't be hurting as much if you get bit.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I don't think he needs to accidentally loose an 125 dollar spider (even if its one of the most chill pokies), as the P. irminia already is intimidating enough for him. I would go with an avic as they are skiddish and kinda fast, they are far more relaxed than your P.irmina, they do shoot poop but I've never had mine attempt to do it. Though a GBB as suggested above will also work as they can be a little feisty but are hardy and quite the lookers. If you're looking into OW then you need to master your P.irmina first then move onto to the Tapinauchenius genus (NW) as they are probably the fastest T you can get, have some attitude but not as serious of a bite. But if you have your heart set on an OW I would suggest the Ceratogyrus genus as they are more curious than naught and are on the smaller side or get a dwarf like H.villosella as they are feisty but you won't be hurting as much if you get bit.
I agree with everything except the Ceratogyrus. My little darlingis are feistier and more prone to bolting than my OBT, M.balfouris and my Poecs. One in fact mounted a failed escape attempt during it's initial rehousing. :/ The only other T I've had do this was my mystery OW terrestrial sling. Not something I would recommend to someone who, as you said, still needs to get used to a Psalmo.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I agree with everything except the Ceratogyrus. My little darlingis are feistier and more prone to bolting than my OBT, M.balfouris and my Poecs. One in fact mounted a failed escape attempt during it's initial rehousing. :/ The only other T I've had do this was my mystery OW terrestrial sling. Not something I would recommend to someone who, as you said, still needs to get used to a Psalmo.
Yours must be exceptionally cranky then, several other people I talk to can agree that they are a better OW to start with; of course my most ferocious T is a g.pulchripes sling, it thinks an obt.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Yours must be exceptionally cranky then, several other people I talk to can agree that they are a better OW to start with; of course my most ferocious T is a g.pulchripes sling, it thinks an obt.
Does this species vary greatly in attitude from sling to adult? I have an adult female and sub-adult male, which are definitely more on the laid back side. However, I have never dealt with the smaller individuals... hence the curiosity.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I think you could go for an A,Avic or GBB maybe even a trapdoor sp.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
She* (I'm a girl haha). I like the look of the Tapinauchenius genus. I'll have to look more into them though!! I would love a GBB however they are a bit pricey but I'm willing to do some saving :). I'm def not gonna get any pokies any time soon due to their speed, attitude, and it's one of the last Ts I would want to get bitten by. I am definitely planning on getting an avic. The only problem I really have with my irminia is that besides being defensive, it's actually slightly aggressive. It has chased my hand during maintenance and rehousing lol. What about an a. ezendami, e. murinus or p. cambridgei? Anyone have suggestions on those?

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Easy way to stop it chasing you during maintenance is buy a pare/set of 10-12" tongs.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She* (I'm a girl haha). I like the look of the Tapinauchenius genus. I'll have to look more into them though!! I would love a GBB however they are a bit pricey but I'm willing to do some saving :). I'm def not gonna get any pokies any time soon due to their speed, attitude, and it's one of the last Ts I would want to get bitten by. I am definitely planning on getting an avic. The only problem I really have with my irminia is that besides being defensive, it's actually slightly aggressive. It has chased my hand during maintenance and rehousing lol. What about an a. ezendami, e. murinus or p. cambridgei? Anyone have suggestions on those?
GBB: no collection is complete without one. :) Slings are not that expensive and it is great fun to watch them grow and go through the different color changes. Easy keepers. As slings, keep them dry with a trickle of water down the side of container a couple of times a week. I offer mine bottle cap water bowls when they are 1" dls, and keep substrate completely dry. Too much humidity can cause booklung issues in this species. Excellent appetites! More prone to flight than fight. Heavy webbers.
A. enzendami: I've been raising 4 sac mates over the past 14 months. Great little burrowers and turret builders. In hindsight, I would have given mine larger deeper enclosures to start with to minimize rehousing. They take awhile to adjust. In the wild, they spend their entire lives in one burrow. Mine have been picky eaters only taking crickets and the occasional B. lat. Now that my group is at the 2 - 3 inch size, they can be seen more frequently at the top of their turrets. One is far more fearful than the others and very quick to throw a threat pose, but first opportunity she bolts down the burrow.
E. murinus is one of my favorites. Obligate burrowers. Another pet hole, but once established in their burrows, they appear more frequently at the openings, occasionally coming out and about. Deep, damp substrate with constant water source and pre-fab burrow to start. They will expound on the burrow. Humid with good ventilation. Mine cohabs with an isopod clean up crew which helps keep the enclosure fresh. Some of these can be pretty territorial, most will just retreat to their heavily webbed burrows. Excellent appetites!
P. cambridgei: Like other Psalmos, needs fair depth of substrate to burrow as a sling, but then will build web tube that extends from burrow into higher areas of arboreal enclosure and they'll hang dirt curtains all over. Voracious appetite! Not quite as flighty in general as P. irminia, but individuals will vary.

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 11:39 AM ----------

I have tongs. It jumped out of the tank onto me. :(
How do you have it set up? Are there plenty of places for it to hide?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Does this species vary greatly in attitude from sling to adult? I have an adult female and sub-adult male, which are definitely more on the laid back side. However, I have never dealt with the smaller individuals... hence the curiosity.
I think I just got a cranky one, after I did some rearranging of the cage and moved it to a new area of my room, it has seemed to calm down a bit, slings in general seem flighty to me. Just like Belle's C.darlingi are hell spawn and mine is pretty chill.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think I just got a cranky one, after I did some rearranging of the cage and moved it to a new area of my room, it has seemed to calm down a bit, slings in general seem flighty to me. Just like Belle's C.darlingi are hell spawn and mine is pretty chill.
Their reputed chill nature was one of the things that interested me about them so their attitudes came as quite a surprise. Not that I mind it, but if a newer person were to end up with slings like mine I think we'd soon have another 'Help my spider got out and I can't find it" thread. XD;;;

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
If you're doing okay with P irminia, I'd recommend an M balfouri if you've got the money for one. As far as baboons go, they're on the less defensive side. They're gorgeous Ts, and despite being pet holes they're out in the open enough that you can enjoy them. When I open my balfouri enclosures up for feeding, they retreat to their hole then usually they poke their legs back out the top to investigate the disturbance. They are quickly rising to the top of my favorites list.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Or for more excitement,Get a P.Murinus... If they don-t hurt you.they are a lotta fun
Probably should steer away from that one for a bit, once she can master Taps perhaps that may be the next step or a M balfouri , as there are several members breeding them and sell them way cheaper than the 70-90 I see on other sites.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
I have a g. rosea, l. parahybana, a. geniculata, and p. irminia. I'm slightly intimidated by the irminia because I'm used to my T's not wanting to kill me every second they have :cry: but I suppose that comes with the territory. I am not afraid of any species, and I do respect them. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what would be a good next T. Terrestrial and arboreal and NW and OW are all options. Any personal experiences with more aggressive species would be helpful!!
What should come next? Well, whatever you want, really. Depending on how long you've had your suntiger and how well you deal with it, you may not want to get into Old World T's yet. Like other posters have suggested, Ephebopus spp. are good selections as well as GBB's. I have a big female E. murinus that spends the day in her hole, and sits at the entrance during the night, so I see her on a regular basis. They're definitely fast and feisty, so you would have to exercise caution with them like you would with your suntiger. GBB's are skittish and tend to flick hairs, but they're easier to deal with than E. murinus or P. irminia. You can get pretty much any New World T you want.

Or for more excitement,Get a P.Murinus... If they don-t hurt you.they are a lotta fun

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I have no idea what just happened but the Satan spider was nice to me.... I think everyone was right with the patience because it willingly let me handle it .... I'm still not all about that pokie life yet lol but I thought it was a cool update and I will look into all of your suggestions and keep you posted if you keep the suggestions coming!!! Thank you guys so much. It's still such a good feeling when you're not intimidated by your new T!!!

---------- Post added 04-05-2014 at 02:10 AM ----------

If you're doing okay with P irminia, I'd recommend an M balfouri if you've got the money for one. As far as baboons go, they're on the less defensive side. They're gorgeous Ts, and despite being pet holes they're out in the open enough that you can enjoy them. When I open my balfouri enclosures up for feeding, they retreat to their hole then usually they poke their legs back out the top to investigate the disturbance. They are quickly rising to the top of my favorites list.
I almost bought a sling for cheap but I felt I wasn't ready (id rather get hurt than the spider). I have however gotten over my intimidation of my irminia (who is not so devilish). I don't want to get cocky and hurt a T so is a balfouri truly wise?

Last edited by a moderator: