Cute as a bug

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Widdle bitty baby, complete with highly functional poop factory,

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
haha I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think that's a BABY... Love the Cicada! one of my favorite insects. where'd you find him?

The Snark

Old Timer
haha I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think that's a BABY... Love the Cicada! one of my favorite insects. where'd you find him?
Oh yes. I'm sure it only just learned to fly. It isn't even 1 1/2 inches long (body) and still has it's baby togs on (coloration). The giants don't come in sub compact models that I know of.
It was a kismet thing. As my wifey left her restaurant in the city one evening it flew over, clung to her jacket and hitch hiked the 20 km to our house. It then posed for a picture before we released it into the forest with our best wishes.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My wife picked up the book "Bug Music: How Insects Gave Us Rhythm and Noise" by David Rothenberg, for me at the library. Here is the author in this ~cicada video.

[YOUTUBE]bnXmGVVccFc[/YOUTUBE]

The Snark

Old Timer
My wife picked up the book "Bug Music: How Insects Gave Us Rhythm and Noise" by David Rothenberg, for me at the library. Here is the author in this ~cicada video.
He needs someone to crank his stuff through a mixer and EQ. 16 or even 32 track. But still, fascinating, enjoyable and, for me, aggravating. Once many moons ago I heard a recording of Zen 'nature music'. Similar to this with a strong Japanese motif. I've never been able to find it again.
Thankses muches, BIC. Have you ever seen bug sounds on an oscilloscope? Absolutely fascinating. The raucous chorus of the giant cicadas takes it right off the scale @4500 to ~5200hz if memory serves. Reminds me I'd like to get a shotgun mic again. Then a preamp (AR of course), some S-58's for ambiance, a mixer, better high fi set up, better speakers (Snell's?), a new scope, and an oil well to finance the mess.
http://www.cnet.com/news/a-great-american-speaker-company-is-no-more/

Last edited: