A. Avicularia resting or in a death curl

Lbur

Arachnopeon
Hello, I tried searching the forums and did not find an answer to my question. I have a male avic who just molted and it was not an ultimate molt. He molted about a week and a half ago, I tried feeding yesterday and he did not seem interested but I cannot find the cricket today. My question was is it normal for them to rest in their tube webs with a death curl like position or is this an actual death curl and I need to put him in an ICU. He was fine and stretched out like normal after his molt but he has been in this position for about three days now. Sorry for the crappy picture, his webbing makes it very difficult to get a good picture. His legs aren't completely curled underneath him but they are tucked in very close. I have never seen him sit with his legs this close before so I am very worried. Thanks in advance for anyones help. CAM00827.jpg

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
Edit- Here's a link with a similar issue perhaps? I can't tell if your pic looks like this though. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?150235-Scrunched-up-A.-Versicolors

Is it a stress pose where the legs are tucked up close (kind of shielding the eyes?) but not under? Molting is a stressful time so perhaps that's it? Could you snip away a little hole to peek through? Sorry, I can't tell much from the picture.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have seen this with some of my Avics. Sometimes it's because they are thirsty, and other times there is no known reason.

I would definitely add droplets of water to the surrounding web and see if if move to drink them immediately, though sometimes they don't drink right away.

Lbur

Arachnopeon
His legs aren't over his eyes but they are very close to the eyes, almost like a kid watching a scary movie and peeking through their fingers. I will try to move some of the web and add water droplets and see if he'll drink and if I can get a better picture.