Sharktanking

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
What is shark tanking? I hear about it frequently, with zero description of what it means…something to do with breeding.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
It's a method to introduce a male to a female that reduces risk of aggression towards the male. Basically you put the male in a deli cup or something similar then put that in the females enclosure. They can drum against the walls of the cup and when it seems that the female is receptive to the male the cup can be opened. It mimics a shark tank in the ocean, thus the nickname.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I've tried it once or twice, but don't see much merit in it.
Same here. I get its a safe way to see if they are interested in each other, but couldn't figure out a way to then take the lid off without totally disturbing both spiders and ruining the vibe that they had going. You can get the same reaction out of the spiders to see if they are interested by slowly introducing the male to the opposite side of the cage in my opinion.

Later, Tom

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Same here. I get its a safe way to see if they are interested in each other, but couldn't figure out a way to then take the lid off without totally disturbing both spiders and ruining the vibe that they had going. You can get the same reaction out of the spiders to see if they are interested by slowly introducing the male to the opposite side of the cage in my opinion.

Later, Tom
Exactly, if they are interested, you have to try again later. Why not just introduce them in the first place, like they would in nature, and be on stand-by in case things don't go right.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I certainly wasn't speaking to its effectiveness, just explaining what it was.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I see it more of a way to conserve space than anything else. If the males enclosure is small enough to fit in the females, than you save room elsewhere.

SammyBoy

Arachnopeon
Another method that's quite effective is introducing silk from the female into the male's enclosure and that produces good results.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Usually before breeding I put the female and males enclosures next to each other, let them drum for about a few days and then introduce the male. However seen as I haven't bred much I can't say that this method produces good results every time