Having trouble keeping Lampropelma sp. alive

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
So for the past week I've had my Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black in an ICU. The reason being is that she seems to be constipated. I've had this issue with one other case involving a Lampropelma violaceopes. I've been keeping T's for a long time and the only T's that I've had health problems in significant number of cases is in the Lampropelma genus. Now I'm at a loss so I'm going to take some suggestions, any help would be appreciated.

-JohnD.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
How is your setup? I have a juvenile male Borneo Black that I've kept in a small arboreal setup with a water dish. I mist him about once a week and have done that since he was 1". He's over 3" now and still doing fine.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
what are you feeding them if they both are suffering constipation then it has to be what you feeding them

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Serious question here... How in the world do you know they're constipated??

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
How is your setup? I have a juvenile male Borneo Black that I've kept in a small arboreal setup with a water dish. I mist him about once a week and have done that since he was 1". He's over 3" now and still doing fine.
She is a 4" specimen and was being kept like all my other arboreals around this size; 1 gallon rubbermaid jar and similar to you I spray the enclosure twice a week with a constantly full waterdish

what are you feeding them if they both are suffering constipation then it has to be what you feeding them
I'm feeding all my T's dubia with the occasional crickets

Serious question here... How in the world do you know they're constipated??
good question and sorry for not clarifying, before she began to be lethargic she would try to do the usual poop canon but nothing came out and would imediately start rubbing her anus on the substrate after the failed attempt. I would clearly think constipation after witnessing that.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Mainly dry cat food, but they are fed a veriety of veggies and fruits from time to time.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Could be a humidity issue. I keep my Lampros on the moist side for an arboreal. Slightly moist (not wet) substrate and always a full water bowl. I give slings long-fiber spagnum which I lightly mist when it dries. They get moderate ventilation so things aren't too stuffy.

SammyBoy

Arachnopeon
Lampropelma sp. in general are pretty hardy slings as long as the humidity is maintained. I've raised dozens of slings to maturity over the years with almost zero mortality. L. nigerrimum seems to like higher levels of humidity than L. v. (Hence the "almost zero", lost a male due to drying out when I went away one weekend.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Could be a humidity issue. I keep my Lampros on the moist side for an arboreal. Slightly moist (not wet) substrate and always a full water bowl. I give slings long-fiber spagnum which I lightly mist when it dries. They get moderate ventilation so things aren't too stuffy.
Could be, but keeping it more humid than I already do might cause a mold problem. I'll try to amp up humidity for my remaining Lampros and see how it goes, they're still slings and only seem to develope problems for me in their adult/juvenile stages so I'll refer back to this thread if anything comes up again in the near future.

As an update the L sp. Borneo Black passed away and pretty bumbed about it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Could be, but keeping it more humid than I already do might cause a mold problem. I'll try to amp up humidity for my remaining Lampros and see how it goes, they're still slings and only seem to develope problems for me in their adult/juvenile stages so I'll refer back to this thread if anything comes up again in the near future.

As an update the L sp. Borneo Black passed away and pretty bumbed about it.
Maybe too humid and/or not enough ventilation.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Could that be an issue? I do let the enclosures dry every now and then so I'm think if humidity is an issue it's probably not enough of it.