Has H. lividium (Cobalt Blue) lost appeal?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is the reason so few hobbyists are trading H. lividium sling compared to other slings? Is it a lack of desire to breed (relating to lack of demand) or are they difficult to breed? I see mature H. lividium at reasonable prices. I also have seen other Haplo tarantulas more frequently traded and sold. Why no love for the cobalt blue?

In the late 90s when I was just getting back into tarantulas (before the break and coming back two years ago), the cobalt blue was extremely exciting to obtain. It was pre-Internet trading (unless I was unaware of the hobbyist community) and only exotic pet stores had them. There weren't as many colorful tarantulas available so it generated more interest.

I was thinking of picking up a few slings and have been looking but have not seen them (from hobbyists).

Sharno

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. lividium "is so last year"...

Na, I don't know...just being silly. I still like them. :biggrin:

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Well, like the G rosea, H lividum are extremely common in pet stores now, so they no longer have the attraction of being new/rare/exiting. They do seem to still be quite popular(nobody can deny how beautiful and badass they are) but being so common I imagine there isn't a lot of motivation to breed them. Less common species, even if they aren't as pretty, sell faster and for higher prices.

That said, the dealers around here never seem to run out of stock of these guys.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
they are out their I know two of the three big online seller have sling for sell and I have personally sent out at 5 mm H. lividum to breeder around the country in the last 6 months and they went fast as soon as I posted them for sell. Also I am trying to breed my female with my last male so they are being breed no doubt about that

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are in the more easy categori of breeding. But they need to have it a little cool if you want succes though... around 70F will do just fine.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I still like them had a few in past collections, although not on my list as must buy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Honestly, I think it's because the number of tarantulas with significant amounts of blue has increased considerably over the past couple of decades. Cobalt blues no longer have a lock on the color BLUE. In addition to there being so many more species in general too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Honestly, I think it's because the number of tarantulas with significant amounts of blue has increased considerably over the past couple of decades. Cobalt blues no longer have a lock on the color BLUE. In addition to there being so many more species in general too.
+1. There's a lot of blue spiders in the hobby today. Lividum has to share the limelight with them. The one time I bred lividum, I got 9 slings to make it full term, so I don't consider them easy to breed. They're still being imported from the wild, another reason why captive slings wouldn't be in as much demand.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In addition cobalts are pet holes, more so than many other blue Ts

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
There's still demand for sure. I really want to own one. A couple months ago I found a MM H lividum sitting all lonely in a cage at a local PetCo when I was picking up stuff for my geckos. I told them I'd give them 40 bucks for it (instead of the 80 they wanted), they agreed, I took him home and offered him up for free to someone who wanted to breed him. I had a few responses almost immediately, but due to cold weather and proximity I ended up giving him to Jen Newman of Heartland Invertebrates (she's right in my area) and she successfully paired him at least once (I don't know if he's still alive or if there have been subsequent attempts). If she ends up with a clutch, I'll get some of the spiderlings, if not, I at least got to help that poor guy fulfill his biological imperative.

Point is, people definitely still like them. They're one of the species that attracted me to tarantulas back in the 90s when I was a kid. Plus, since I'm a fan of spiders with attitude, they're totally up my alley. Like Poec said though, as far as I know breeding and rearing spiderlings is hard, so even though they're usually available, you don't see them being pushed as much.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
as far as I know breeding and rearing spiderlings is hard, so even though they're usually available, you don't see them being pushed as much.
Slings in this country come from two primary sources: local breeders/collectors and those bred in Europe (especially Germany). Difference being the Europeans are reigning experts, and in this country we're playing catch-up and trying to figure out what they've learned. It could be that a large part of lividum slings are imported.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I knew Europe is light years ahead of us in the breeding game (especially some of the more difficult to breed genera and species) but I did not realize we were still seeing imports of slings from them that are generally available like H lividum. Interesting.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I knew Europe is light years ahead of us in the breeding game (especially some of the more difficult to breed genera and species) but I did not realize we were still seeing imports of slings from them that are generally available like H lividum. Interesting.
Way ahead of us. Decades ago they were breeding species we had never seen, and sexing immatures (which we didn't know was even possible). One day we'll catch up, maybe in my lifetime.

SpiderMan1975

Arachnopeon
photo (9).jpg

I'm still a newbie in the hobby (less than 100 T's...Lol)...my female H Lividum is one of my favs.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal on her, my local T guy sold her along with a nice acrylic case to me for 60 bucks.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lividum is one I wouldn't mind owning, but A) I have enough pet holes, and B) The blue on the females doesn't seem to stand out quite as vibrantly as say GBBs. Cobalt's seem to only show great color under the right lighting. Maybe that's just me.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Oh dont you just hate those ugly H. lividium? God, they're so expensive for such an UGLY spider. I seriously think they're SoOOoo over-priced!

katiekatelyn

Arachnopeon
Wow, I paid forty bucks for my sling- and I'm talking about a brand new, teeny tiny, microscopic little guy. It is only the second cobalt blue I've seen in my go-to cold blooded pet store, ever! I don't know why they aren't popular around here, but they're not, and I considered myself lucky to get my hands on one.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
How could something like this possibly lose appeal?! :p

My recently acquired adult female. Not a sling but hey worth every penny.

P.S.
Yes i am using an annoying watermark now lol