Enclosure Size

JarvyvV

Arachnopeon
I have an empty 4" x 4" x 7" arboreal Enclosure, and I am seeing this as a good excuse for getting a new T. My question is weather this enclosure is suitable for an half inch spider ling.

Thanks!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have an empty 4" x 4" x 7" arboreal Enclosure, and I am seeing this as a good excuse for getting a new T. My question is weather this enclosure is suitable for an half inch spider ling.

Thanks!
If my yard stick is correct those dimensions are too big for a little guy like that. If it was 1 inch and was provided plenty of hides and you took special care to make sure it ate then I'd say go for it, but that is a very small spider for such a large enclosure.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say it's suitable yeah =) I sometimes keep slings that size in containers like that, my A.versi lived from .5" all the way through to 2" in an enclosure about that size. Just provide plenty of cover and web anchors etc. Once your sling starts webbing (if it's an arboreal species that webs a lot) then you can put prey on their web so they can capture it easier. What species are you thinking of? One thought is that you could get a psalmo, then you could fill the enclosure with a bout 2" of substrate for burrowing, fill up some of the space if you're worried about there being too much

Tman86

Arachnosquire
Make sure the air holes are tiny but like SuzukiSwift said its suitable. If the 7" is the height and not length then its more suitable for an arboreal. A psalmpoeus as mentioned would be good. Or an Avicularia, Poecilotheria, etc...any arboreal really. ,some may say its to big and won't be able to find its prey but they usually do fine. Of its not then you could always help it find food. Add a couple inches of substrate because most arboreal slings will burrow till they get bigger.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it's fine. As others have said, a couple inches of sub, lots of very small air holes vs. fewer large ones, and plenty of hiding spots. My small arboreals (back when I had a bunch) loved fake flowers. Not only could they web them like crazy, but they could hide in the flower petals.

However, have you ever actually seen a half-inch tarantula? If not, you'll probably be surprised at how small it is! Looking at a ruler is just not the same as when you receive the spider. You may change your mind about the enclosure when you see it! And if you do, might I suggest an empty peanut butter jar? Plastic, of course, so you can make air holes. :) Perfect size for a small arboreal.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd say it's a bit too big. The general rule is 2-3 times the leg span for enclosure size. 7" height for a 1/2" arboreal is a large difference. It's really just to make sure that the T is able to find food when you feed it. If you were going to just tweezer feed or drop the food right next to the T, it's probably alright then.