Is a large water bowl and daily misting enough for an aborial?

auskie

Arachnosquire
I just got my first aborial species, an A. avicularia. I wasn't planning on it, but I felt sorry for the neglected little guy I saw at the local pet store while picking up some crickets. I know they're prone to desiccation, but I've never had to keep an enclosure at 70-80% humidity before since I mostly deal with terrestrial T's that live in more arid conditions. I'll attach a picture of what I have him in now (I had to throw the enclosure together with what I had on hand because it wasn't a planned purchase). Right now there's a washed and dried branch from outside and a water dish that's probably way too big for the enclosure. Will the large dish and daily misting keep the enclosure humid enough for it? I'm not sure how else to manipulate humidity.

IMAG0487.jpg

auskie

Arachnosquire
I JUST sprayed water on that side of the enclosure, that's not condensation.

Here's a picture of the top.

IMAG0488.jpg

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I JUST sprayed water on that side of the enclosure, that's not condensation.
Yes, but there aren't any vent holes on the sides of the enclosure. Most experienced keepers will say that cross ventilation is a must for avics and that misting is unnecessary.

auskie

Arachnosquire
Well it is just a temporary enclosure, so I'll take that to heart till I pick up something else tomorrow. But I still need to know how properly control humidity levels. How do I accomplish this without misting?

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I've read that humidity for avics isn't as important as most people think and that a full water bowl is sufficient.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

I keep mine with a shallow water bowl in an exo terra tank with some fake plants and cork bark. Also, I think the enclosure you have now is good, you just need a ring of vent holes around the top and around the bottom above the sub. Also, a smaller water bowl :)

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I keep all my sub and adult avics on dry substrate with a water dish. Cross ventilation is a must with this species.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have 30 species of arboreals (including 6 species of Avics), and NONE need or want daily misting. That's what kills most arboreals, probably respiratory complications. They should have fairly dry substrate and get the humidity they need from a water bowl. Ample ventilation is crucial, yours needs more. It should have a screen top or a bunch of holes in the sides. Ignore the advice you've gotten so far. Arboreals are used to fresh air and things drying out, even in a rainforest. They can't handle moist, stagnant air in cage's like yours has now. There shouldn't be any condensation, ever. Misting is counterproductive. I know you have good intentions, and thanks for rescuing that spider. Poor little things sometimes don't have a chance.

The most important thing for me with Avics is to get them to spin a sheet/retreat; they do much better when they have one. The way to encourage that is to give them a lot of anchor points. I use the vine-type plastic plants by Zoo Med (large bag is $5, cut to fit). If you use silk, soak to get rid of dyes and fragrances. It will feel more natural and less exposed with plastic plants. I only mist my young Avics once a week or so, and then lightly, and only on the silk they've spun. That's for them to drink, not raising the humidity. Don't hose down the cage when you do mist.

Avics are great spiders, but many beginners lose theirs from keeping them too moist and stuffy. Now you know what to do.

auskie

Arachnosquire
Adequate cross ventilation is required, misting isn't necessary, and a water bowl is sufficient for humidity needs. Noted, and the appropriate changes will be made.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Adequate cross ventilation is required, misting isn't necessary, and a water bowl is sufficient for humidity needs. Noted, and the appropriate changes will be made.
Bang on =) It's true that cross ventilation is the most important thing for avics, in fact without it they are often in danger, they need very clean air so having air flow from only one direction isn't enough. Also misting is unnecessary, avics are fine with just dry substrate and a water bowl, in fact imo they do better this way. Also there must be a lot more web anchors to encourage webbing

You'll also need a larger enclosure, retrieving the water bowl to replace the water in the current enclosure would be very difficult, not to mention making cross ventilation holes in the glass (is it?) would be a very big challenge, but as you've said it's only temporary anyway

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bone dry container and sub, water bowl, never misted DONE DEAL with all my species of Avic and age/sizes

It's not rocket science, but it WILL BE rocket science if you try to micromanage humidity like that found in the tropics.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would suggest ventilation holes placed like these and a piece of bark so that the avic has somewhere to either anchor its webbing or hide behind.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you have difficulty getting the Avic out of containers w/narrow diameter openings, it looks narrow I should say. I see some nice containers, but the openings are always narrow. So I steer away from them.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the very rare occasions that i have to remove the spider, I use a pair of forceps to simply lift the piece of bark out and the spider stays on it or in its webbing.