Pokie questions

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
What species can live in a 5 gallon tank? 10 gallon tank? Also how do you say the genus name? I've heard two different pronunciations(poke-lo-theria and po-silo-theria)?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Formosa and metallica are on the small side, along with the highland subfusca, usually around 6". Rufilata and ornata are the biggest. The rest are usually around 7" give or take (although a few individuals may get larger).

It's a Greek word so it has a soft C (6 syllables).

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I have read in latin its pronounced (pee-suh-luh-THI-ree-uh) http://atshq.org/articles/beechwp1.html

As for those tanks sizes I would say any of them could ........ 5 or 10 gal......think some might have dif preference but really I think it's up to you

Last edited:

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Something like Pee-see-lo-ther-ee-uh was the impression I've gotten from earlier threads, is this correct Rick? Or is it Poe?

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I don't think a 9" ornata would fit in a 5g tank though... Are any more venomous then the ornata or is that one the most venomous?

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Ornata has the reputation, and having never been bitten I can't speak from experience, but if its venom is stronger, it's not so much stronger that you'll get bitten by a subfusca or metallica and go "well at least it wasn't ornata." Ornata's reputation comes mostly from its disposition rather than its strength. It's one of the more ornery species of Poecilotheria. I've never had any issues with mine, but I respect her space and she does me the favor of not sticking inch long fangs into my arm. As far as fitting a nine inch spider into a 5 gallon tank... you could but it is far from ideal. My female ornata is 9.5'' give or take a quarter inch, and her enclosure dimensions are 12x12x20.

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
I've also read that the Metallica was RE-discovered. Is that true?

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 09:27 PM ----------

Ornata has the reputation, and having never been bitten I can't speak from experience, but if its venom is stronger, it's not so much stronger that you'll get bitten by a subfusca or metallica and go "well at least it wasn't ornata." Ornata's reputation comes mostly from its disposition rather than its strength. It's one of the more ornery species of Poecilotheria. I've never had any issues with mine, but I respect her space and she does me the favor of not sticking inch long fangs into my arm. As far as fitting a nine inch spider into a 5 gallon tank... you could but it is far from ideal. My female ornata is 9.5'' give or take a quarter inch, and her enclosure dimensions are 12x12x20.
Ok thanks. I'm not as worried about they're venom as they seem more docile(still have to have respect for them :) ). I also have an H.mac SLING and a few juvie regalis' along with a 1 1/2" met so would I probably be ready for a 5" or so rufi?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would avoid getting bitten in the first place, they dont take prisoners. I have seen som really bad bite reports from p subfusca, just as bad as ornata. I know of 2 guys who got tagged by p metallica and the result was also very bad, alot of pain and cramps on and of for a long time. So give them the respect they deserve ;-)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I would avoid getting bitten in the first place, they dont take prisoners. I have seen som really bad bite reports from p subfusca, just as bad as ornata. I know of 2 guys who got tagged by p metallica and the result was also very bad, alot of pain and cramps on and of for a long time. So give them the respect they deserve ;-)
I wasn't implying he should be totally okay with being bitten. I was telling him that the venom potency across species isn't so significantly different that he'll be glad to have been bitten if it were to happen. I threw out subfusca and metallica as random examples, there was no reason for those two specifically being mentioned.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wasn't implying he should be totally okay with being bitten. I was telling him that the venom potency across species isn't so significantly different that he'll be glad to have been bitten if it were to happen. I threw out subfusca and metallica as random examples, there was no reason for those two specifically being mentioned.
Then there is no harm done here. I might have misunderstood.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Something like Pee-see-lo-ther-ee-uh was the impression I've gotten from earlier threads, is this correct Rick? Or is it Poe?
I pronounce it 'poe-si-low-ther-ee-ah'. I've collect plants, and used to have reptiles so I've heard a lot of attempts at saying these kind of words. With Latin/Greek, there's a lot of individual differences in pronounciation, so don't sweat it.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I pronounce it basically the same way Rick does. I say poe si low thair ee uh. The th is sound is soft like in tooth. I wouldn't say I'm right, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm not, but it flows best that way for me.

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
I pronounce it 'poe-si-low-ther-ee-ah'. I've collect plants, and used to have reptiles so I've heard a lot of attempts at saying these kind of words. With Latin/Greek, there's a lot of individual differences in pronounciation, so don't sweat it.
Thanks very much appreciated! In you opinion though would I be ready for a sub adult rufi?

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
That depends. What do you have now?
Grammostola rosea 5"-6"
Psalmopeous irminia 2"
Brachypelma albiceps 2"
Brachypelma boehmei 2"
Brachypelma emilia 4"
Brachypelma albopilosum 1/2 and 3"
Brachypelma vagans 2"
Thrixopelma ockerti 2"
Monocentropus balfouri 1"
Acanthoscurria geniculata 2"
Pterinochilus murinus 1"
Holothele incei 1 1/2"
Lasiodora parahybana 2" and 5"
Poecilotheria regalis 2" and 3"
Poecilotheria metallica 1 1/4"
Chilobrachy fimbriatus 1"
Pamphobeteus sp machalla 6"
Hysterocrates gigas 5"
Heteroscodra maculata 1 1/2"
Nhandu tripepii 1"
Ephebopus murinus 3"
Cyriocosmus elegans 1/2"
Haplopus sp Columbia large 1/3"
Holothele sp carabobo 2 1/2"
Haplopelma lividum-1 3"

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
If you've had your H gigas and your regalis specimens for a good amount of time and are comfortable with them, I'd say you're okay to get a rufi sub adult.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice collection, I'd say you're ready also. If you're still not feeling confident then you can always get a rufi sling or juvie and raise it to become comfortable with it over time

Lizardman905

Arachnosquire
If you've had your H gigas and your regalis specimens for a good amount of time and are comfortable with them, I'd say you're okay to get a rufi sub adult.
I've had the regalis for about a year and the gigas for 4 months. I'm going to get it or a subfusca! Thx!