Beginner arboreals?

hi im gian

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, it's my first time posting here.

So ive been into this hobby for a while now but ive only been keeping terrestrials so im planning to buy an arboreal sp. Any suggestions for a good beginner
arboreal? Ive heard that avics are good to start with

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Psalmopoeus is one of my favorite genera (spelling?). :) Plus the slings are pretty cheap if you're getting irminia

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah P,Irminia is good, but since your starting with any arboreal sp, i suggest getting any Avicularia sp, maybe A,Avic/A,Metallica or A,Minatrix, that's just of the top of my head as others will give better input.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus are fantastic, but they're very fast and can be defensive. If you've kept fast, defensive terrestrial species, then I'd say jump right in. If not, I'd recommend Avicularia.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For most people, Avics are a good first arboreal. They need specific conditions, and the common mistake is to keep them too moist and stuffy.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Poec54 is right ventilation is key to stop it being stuffy/over humid, but if correctly setup (not hard) Avics are super easy to keep, they can be fast in short bursts but are usually very chilled.

Forcep

Arachnosquire
Avic is always a good choice for their beauty and mildness, but avic slings are kind of fragile. If you feel comfortable with fast and skittish spiders then Psalmopoeus should be OK; they are fantastic looking and very hardy, great eaters too.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why not Tapinauchenius? They're fast, but aren't particularly aggressive IME. And much better looking than Avics IMO.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why not Tapinauchenius? They're fast, but aren't particularly aggressive IME. And much better looking than Avics IMO.
Fast is right, like warp-speed. Probably a bit quick until someone gets used to spiders like that. To me, Avics tend to be more colorful and attractive than most Taps.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What terrestrial T's do you have and or have had? Cuz there are fast terrestrial T's so getting one thats fast might not be an issue other then how to setup...I also see you are from the Philippines so not sure what T's you have access to

Avic
P.pulcher
P.irminia

If you have kept fast terrestrial I would say Tapinauchenius might work for you too

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fast is right, like warp-speed. Probably a bit quick until someone gets used to spiders like that. To me, Avics tend to be more colorful and attractive than most Taps.
Eh, I never found my Taps to be any faster than an Avic or Psalm, I actually found the latter to be much faster. Either way, Taps are a looking spider, not a touching one like most Avics could be.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avics are prob the best beginner IME. Some can be quite fast, ask Keith B, though generally they zip for short spurts. Their disposition varies across species and within to some degree as well. They are very pretty IMO.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tapis are great T´s, i breed t sanctivicenti currently and they are no picnic when it comes to speed. Like poec54 says, they are like warp speed, they make poecilotheria look like they move in slow motion. But they are not that defensive. I would take some avics, psalmopous before and get some practice, but then you definately need to chime in on these small and goodlooking T´s.

David VB

Arachnosquire
Poec54 is right ventilation is key to stop it being stuffy/over humid, but if correctly setup (not hard) Avics are super easy to keep, they can be fast in short bursts but are usually very chilled.
Indeed, my A. versicolor sling almost died so i changed setup with way more ventilation, no misting and just a small water bowl and it went better immediately ;) Molted 3 times since then and is getting it's adult colors a bit now :)

Bergrider

Arachnopeon
Tapis are awesome T's for sure but keeping track of them at sling size can be a bit of a challenge lol.
I think the speed combined with not being particularly aggressive is what I like best about them.

IMO. Avic then Psalmo then Tapis lol.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Most of this has been said, but I'll break it down into an organizational form that I like. There are a few good genera for beginning arboreals and each has its advantages and disadvantages.

1) Genus Avicularia is the go-to beginning arboreal. Temperamentally, they are very easy to deal with. They aren't overly fast, and even the most ornery species tend to be very non defensive. You practically have to try to get bitten by an Avicularia species. The downside to Avicularia is that they have slightly higher environmental requirements than the other genera I will mention (and that have already been mentioned). They need good cross ventilation, and some humidity (that is easily achieved with a water dish). The big problem here is more an unfair reputation than an actual difficult requirement. People here "humidity humidity humidity" all over for Avicularia and it often causes them to put too much moisture in their T's cage through unnecessary misting and soaking the substrate. This combined with overlooking ventilation (especially cross ventilation) produces dead spiders. If you follow the high ventilation and water dish requirement, you'll be fine. They come in a wide variety of colors and are very fun to watch grow up.

2) Psalmopoeus is another good genus for beginning arboreal care. They grow fast, are very hardy and with their attitude are a good segue into what owning an OW T may be like. Avicularia are good eaters, but Psalmopoeus are voracious. The downside to this genus is that to someone who has any nervousness around spiders, their attitude can be intimidating. I have two irminia females, and while I'd never call any T aggressive, these two are the only ones I have that actively advance on me if I disturb them. They've never attempted to bite me, and like all spiders in my collection would sooner retreat than fight, their threshold for fight or flight is much lower. This can be intimidating to newer hobbyists. Despite the attitude, giving a Psalmopoeus respect and care will keep you and the tarantula happy. I love this genus, it is my favorite New World arboreal.

3) Genus Tapinauchenius is the final suggestion. Where Psalmopoeus is a good introduction to Old World attitude, Tapis are an amazing intro to their speed. Matching or exceeding Poecilotheria in speed and easily comparable to Stromatopelma or an OBT at full bear, there's no tarantula speed you won't be ready for after caring for a Tapi. While I don't believe they are as hardy as a Psalmopoeus (someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong), they are definitely hardier than Avicularia. The major downside comes from the same place as the major benefit. These guys are fast fast fast. They won't be trying to bite you, but if you're not ready for them to bolt, they can get out and be somewhere you didn't even see them move to. Being vigilant will solve this issue, but not everyone is ready for it.

My personal suggestion would depend upon your current collection. If you've dealt with a skittish or slightly defensive terrestrial (Nhandu, A geniculata, GBB, etc) I'd suggest Psalmopoeus hands down. If you're not comfortable with the idea of a fast T with attitude then I'd say go Avicularia. In either case I recommend Psalmopoeus before Tapis.

hi im gian

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies! Planning to get an avic soon since im not that comfortable with fast ts. Also considering a T. Ockerti

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

What terrestrial T's do you have and or have had? Cuz there are fast terrestrial T's so getting one thats fast might not be an issue other then how to setup...I also see you are from the Philippines so not sure what T's you have access to

Avic
P.pulcher
P.irminia

If you have kept fast terrestrial I would say Tapinauchenius might work for you too
I currently own 4 terrestrial T's.

B. Albo
G. Porteri
C. Cyaneopubescens
L. Parahybana

Im not sure if any if any of them is considered as a fast T

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
GBB is a pretty quick T. Not like Pokie or tapi, but it's a step up from a Brachypelma. LPs have their moments too.