New sling not eating

spankege

Arachnopeon
Got a brachypelma boehmei sling, about an inch. Came with a fat abdomen. Have had it about a month or so. Not sure if it's still getting used to it. I offered a small cricket that was smaller then it's abdomen. I purchase small meal worms. What are you guys feeding your slings that are about 1 in. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If he came fat, it's entirely possible he's just not hungry; or he could be pre-molt. All you can do is keep trying and waiting. I feed my slings around that size baby dubia; if you're feeding crickets and mealworms, do make sure to take them out if they're not eaten, in the case of mealworms, it's best to crush or cut off their heads so they don't burrow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think this thread should really be in the other forum.

Small crickets for that size. It looks plenty healthy, nice fat abdomen.

Last edited:

spankege

Arachnopeon
Will a sling take a crushed head meal worm? Do they even move then? It's still cold here so the small crickets don't make the trip home, ever. I wish my a. Avic would take super worms. Super plump sling, excited to see some bright red legs. Thanks for the info.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Will a sling take a crushed head meal worm? Do they even move then? It's still cold here so the small crickets don't make the trip home, ever. I wish my a. Avic would take super worms. Super plump sling, excited to see some bright red legs. Thanks for the info.

They will scavenge feed crix, I suspect the same for meal worm will work. Red legs..patience grasshoppa..it will likely take a few years hahaha, SLOW GROWERS.

cold blood

Staff member
Will a sling take a crushed head meal worm? Do they even move then? It's still cold here so the small crickets don't make the trip home, ever.

How long of a trip do you have to get crickets? Are you bringing them back on the quad or sled or the bed of a pickup? Where in WI are you? I don't get why they can't survive the trip, even if it was hours, can you elaborate, im confused grasshoppa?

Worms will still move about for a while after the heads are crushed. Slings tend to scavenge just fine, dead crickets and pieces of the meal worm should get eaten without much issue.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Carry an insulated cooler to keep crickets alive. I'm originally from Michigan. I know. I have 3 slings that are less than 1/2". Anything I can buy is too big. I've dismembered larger crickets and mealworms and the slings must scavenge on them because they're all doing well. Use bait worms if you have to, small pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

Oh, and I've never actually *seen* the slings feed but they're plump, so I assume they're getting something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk