ID needed for long legged spider

Zigana

Arachnosquire
This spider along with it's offspring and upteen other relatives choose to dwell in our bathrooms and ceilings throughout the house. They must have a large colony under the house. It's weird that I can adore tarantulas and jumping spiders but show me one of these and I'm like EEEEK! LOL

Any idea of what it is?

Attachments

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
It does look like a pholcid, in which case your fear is completely misplaced. Look them up and you'll see what I mean.

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pholcid, I have a ton of them as well. I don't know what it is about them but they do give me the slightest bit of creeps. They roam around like they're drunk, and like to disappear quickly while somehow reappearing on my arm or face.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Not exactly industrial grade world class predators. I call them klutz spiders due to their ineptitude at actually corralling a mosquito. Webs aren't sticky.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Thank you everyone! The violin shape on them, which isn't showing up well in detail in pic just makes me think Recluse. Can this type of spider hurt any jumping spiders that make it inside?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Thank you everyone! The violin shape on them, which isn't showing up well in detail in pic just makes me think Recluse. Can this type of spider hurt any jumping spiders that make it inside?
Yes. If a jumper manages to get into the web and grabbed by a pholcid it is out of it's element. The pholcid capture mechanism is to wrap it's prey as fast as possible while delivering a series of lightning fast bites. On the other hoof, a jumper is many times stronger than a pholcid and it's struggling would likely be more than a pholcid would care to take on. Most jumpers manage to free themselves pretty quickly.

PS I get rid of pholcids when they appear. They aren't capable enough to make a dent in the insect population and they present a hazard to roaming spiders that get caught in their webs (as huntsman and lycosid slings). On the other hand, they do help control problem spiders like the recluse and sometimes latrodectus.

Last edited:

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Yes. If a jumper manages to get into the web and grabbed by a pholcid it is out of it's element. The pholcid capture mechanism is to wrap it's prey as fast as possible while delivering a series of lightning fast bites. On the other hoof, a jumper is many times stronger than a pholcid and it's struggling would likely be more than a pholcid would care to take on. Most jumpers manage to free themselves pretty quickly.

PS I get rid of pholcids when they appear. They aren't capable enough to make a dent in the insect population and they present a hazard to roaming spiders that get caught in their webs (as huntsman and lycosid slings). On the other hand, they do help control problem spiders like the recluse and sometimes latrodectus.
I'm with you on getting rid of them. As harmless as they may be I don't care for these climbing around at night in the bathroom and elsewhere throughout the house. While I am fascinated with tarantulas and jumping spiders I have to draw the line somewhere and with their high population rate a few won't be missed, at least by me and family.

I had seen a jumping spider in the house a few days ago but couldn't reach it so was waiting until it was in a better place to get. I walked into the bathroom yesterday evening to see it crawling on the floor. Told the little guy it wasn't safe in here and scooped it up. It is now getting acquainted with its new home in a large deli cup where it is safe. :)