rosie found on her back. didn't fast this time. not sure if molting or dying

insane247

Arachnosquire
last time she molted she fasted for 10 months. she ate a cricket 5 days ago. she's definitely alive. but not pulsating. 3 hours have gone by and no change. last time she was half molted in 3 hours. last time she also popped her thorax piece off before turning on her back.

given she didn't fast, isn't pulsing, and has not made any progress in 3 hours, what say you? dying or molting?

if dying? is there anything i can do to prevent it?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she is molting, it will take time. Just because she took three hours last time doesn't mean if she doesn't do it in three hours there's something wrong. I've seen some rosies go 12-13 hours before even popping the carapace and starting to pull out. If she was dying, she wouldn't go on her back. Just give her time and photos would help. Did she lay a molting mat or anything? She may of ate so close to molting because she wanted to get some energy up. Was she in premolt? Black abdomen, anything like that?

insane247

Arachnosquire
If she is molting, it will take time. Just because she took three hours last time doesn't mean if she doesn't do it in three hours there's something wrong. I've seen some rosies go 12-13 hours before even popping the carapace and starting to pull out. If she was dying, she wouldn't go on her back. Just give her time and photos would help. Did she lay a molting mat or anything? She may of ate so close to molting because she wanted to get some energy up. Was she in premolt? Black abdomen, anything like that?
there is a mat but i've known her to always have the whole surface of the dirt covered and i don't know if she laid it recently or not. she has flaking skin for a bald spot on her abdomen. she never really ever shows many signs of premolt other than the bald spot and fasting but she had the bald spot for over a year before she molted last time. i didn't expect her to be molting for at least several months.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah post a pic if you can, plus just cause she didn't fast doesn't mean anythings wrong, Rosea are weird T's and do what they need to survive/best for them (same as all T's), mine has taken over 10+ hours to molt and heard of others being upwards of 13 hours and molted successfuly, just give it time. Please update us on progress.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Ts don't always fast before a molt. I've had some eat the day they molt out. If she flipped on to her back deliberately, it's for a molt. They don't do that to die.

insane247

Arachnosquire
ok so she did molt and it took a really long time. i posted this 3 hours after i found her on her back. which was 2am. i got up at 3pm to find her molted. when i took her skin out the joints could still bend and weren't stiff, so i'm guessing she had just finished not long before i got up.

anyhoo here's a pic of her PMS (post molt syndrome). my girl, who never gets testy, throwing a threat pose simply because i bumped my desk lol

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/K...96_4094756395352546376_n_zpsfb3a8a1a.jpg.html

insane247

Arachnosquire
That's because you live in Florida. Edmonton has a fairly dry climate compared to yours.
true. especially since it snowed last week and then was 65 degrees the past few days and hasnt rained. it's so dusty. everyone is getting dust in their mouths

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never had a tarantula up and die on its back. =-) Glad she molted ok.