S. calceatum

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
I got a wonderful deal on 2 S. calceatum slings and another A. versicolor sling that I just could NOT pass up. I know the S. cals are a big hand full and have been doing a bunch of research. Definitely not a T to even think about handling.

I'm a little nervous but very excited! I've done enough research to know the husbandry of the S. cals, but I was wondering if you guys had any personal experiences with them, or wanted to share any more info on them that most care sheets and other sources of info would leave out.

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
You should send a PM to Catfishrod69... He's an awesome guy and S. Cals are his "specialty" and knows more about them than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They're native to the jungles of west Africa, living in trees and palms. They're notorious for attacking and giving multiple bites to fruit pickers who disturb them. Those people sometimes jump out of the trees to get away from them.

This is a big step, it's a species for advanced collectors, I hope you fit that category. Reading and research cannot prepare you for the actual experience of one racing out of it's cage and across the floor, or up tongs, or even up your arm. Always remember what they're capable of, not what they usually do. Design your cages and maintenance techniques accordingly.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Yes I have heard all the stories, read the bite reports, etc... I'm not one to purchase a T without doing my homework. I've already thought up some designs for easy access enclosures that allow me to place tongs in the enclosure without the T getting out.

Worst comes to worst, I can accept that I'm not ready for them (if that turns out to be true) and end up selling them to someone with even more experience. I'm not so proud that I would risk my safety (or someone else's) for a spider.

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
Yes I have heard all the stories, read the bite reports, etc... I'm not one to purchase a T without doing my homework. I've already thought up some designs for easy access enclosures that allow me to place tongs in the enclosure without the T getting out.

Worst comes to worst, I can accept that I'm not ready for them (if that turns out to be true) and end up selling them to someone with even more experience. I'm not so proud that I would risk my safety (or someone else's) for a spider.

When I thought I was gonna get one I fashioned a tank where I had plastic tubing going in to fill up water, that way I didn't have to open the tank.. Ended up going with a P. Regalis instead..

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
That's similar to what I'm planning. I saw someone who cut a hole on top of his container, cut the top half off of a pill bottle and glued it into the hole with the lid still on it. That way you kind of have a little shoot where you can drop food into. I like the plastic tubing idea! Might have to incorporate that into the design :)

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Haha I have seen and read that avoid list many times. Unfortunately the link to your second page doesn't work :(

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Wow! Although I have no intention to breed, those were some really cool articles. Thanks!