OBT transfer scare

khyile

Arachnopeon
hi i have a OBT and im trying to replace his substrate with fresh substrate but he refuses to move off the top screen which im afraid to move while hes up there since i know how fast they are and im afraid as soon as i lft it from one side hell dash to the other and snag me lol maybe im just thinking to much about it but i would love some advice from people who own OBTs or are very experienced when transferring aggressive Ts

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I always have a tall cup and an enclosure cover sized cardboard. Just slip the obt off with the cardboard and cup it. I've never had any scary rehousing moments with my obt. Then again i have a mildly temperamental adult female than what others have that are generally aggre/defensive

brianp

Arachnopeon
My recollection is that Ts don't like to be blown on. If that doesn't work, give him a quick spritz. Remember, you are the Boss.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I just use a bottle with the bottom cut off if I can't place the old enclosure inside the new one. I've never had an issue. No escapes, no close calls. Nothing.

cold blood

Staff member
What's the reason you believe the sub needs changing? I hear people all the time insisting their sub needs changing...t's are pretty tidy (see the tidy thread) and as long as you do a touch of clean up and don't have some sort of infestation, there's probably not any reason to go as far as changing it out and starting over. I just changed part of the sub on one of mine, I only did it for my appearance and because the particular t made it very easy. The old sub was over a decade old and just fine.

Changing sub is overrated, t's would prefer you left their home alone and not force them to get comfy all over again. Unless there's a very good reason to change it, you are just making work and stress (you and the t) where there should be none.

khyile

Arachnopeon
well the sub was kinda wet and he doesnt like it at all he never even touches it and it seems to be a thin white layer on the top and i felt like it was mold so was worried about him and why would i own a animal im afraid to deal with??? who said i was afraid to deal with it im afraid of getting bit who the hell isnt im not afraid of tarantulas but who tf wants to get bit

cold blood

Staff member
An OBT needs to always be on bone dry sub, never ever mist, or even overflow the dish...dry, dry, dry, they are very hardy t's from an arid region of Africa....They don't dig moisture, and judging by the fact that it appears to be molding tells me it has been very moist, if not wet, for an extended period of time. Very bad for an OBT, even if they are amongst the toughest of all t's.

What's the ventilation like in its enclosure? If its well vented I would have expected it to have dried well before it molded, unless you are constantly wetting thing or just dumping water in like you are keeping a frog.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I think OBTs are given a bad rap
Mine throw up threat postures and doesn't really attack, making them easy to put in a cup for changing cages
The fun is when your putting them in a strange environment, they tend to run like they stole something
And nothing gets the adrenaline pumping like recapturing an OBT <goodluck> :p

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
well the sub was kinda wet and he doesnt like it at all he never even touches it and it seems to be a thin white layer on the top and i felt like it was mold so was worried about him and why would i own a animal im afraid to deal with??? who said i was afraid to deal with it im afraid of getting bit who the hell isnt im not afraid of tarantulas but who tf wants to get bit
If you're unaware of the fact that OBTs are webbers and are unfamiliar with what webbing looks like spread across the ground there's a problem. No one accused you of being afraid of tarantulas, but you shouldn't "be afraid" of getting bitten either. I have no desire to and I take every precaution against it, but none of my tarantulas intimidate me and I don't feel fear because I may have to deal with them. You clearly do. What other tarantulas do you own?

cold blood

Staff member
If you're unaware of the fact that OBTs are webbers and are unfamiliar with what webbing looks like spread across the ground there's a problem.
Haha, so obvious I didn't even consider mentioning it. :)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
who said i was afraid to deal with it im afraid of getting bit who the hell isnt im not afraid of tarantulas but who tf wants to get bit
You named this thread "OBT Transfer Scare" - and you hadn't even tried transfering it yet. That shows you're afraid of dealing with it. It's not something to be defensive about - I am asking an honest question. Why would you own something you are afraid of interacting with?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You named this thread "OBT Transfer Scare" - and you hadn't even tried transfering it yet. That shows you're afraid of dealing with it. It's not something to be defensive about - I am asking an honest question. Why would you own something you are afraid of interacting with?
There's nothing wrong with being a bit nervous about transferring a fast/defensive tarantula. It's natural. What's important is remaining confident and not panicking if something goes wrong.

khyile

Arachnopeon
the cage its in now is from me transferring it and i know the difference between his webbing on the ground and mold its just a thin white layer over it idk if its mold or not but i dont like it and yes his substrate was kinda moist as it was my first time ever drying out my own i had it in the oven for a really long time but not long enough which ive now learned from and have very dry substrate for him now that im switching in and out and the thing that scares me is mainly my inexperince of doing so in which im afraid im going to get bit if i get bit o well you live and you learn and since hes my first T yea i know i know who gets a OBT as their first tarantula but whatever i was just looking for tips on how to move him safely

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I should clarify since my last post was a bit vague, I wasn't implying I wasn't afraid of being bitten because I may have to get bitten. I was attempting to say that while I take every precaution against being bitten, I am not actively afraid of it the minute I have to deal with one of my sassier tarantulas.

---------- Post added 04-16-2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

My recollection is that Ts don't like to be blown on. If that doesn't work, give him a quick spritz. Remember, you are the Boss.
This is probably the worst advice I've ever heard. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start anything with you; but, wow. Don't listen to this.