Confused about Aphonopelma Seemani humidity

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
I'm getting one of these spiders in the mail in the next couple days, and I've gone through about 20 web pages and they're all giving me conflicting answers... some say to keep it bone dry while others say they need to be kept at around 80% humidity... Was wondering if anyone can give me a definite answer because this is kinda of nerve wrecking! lol

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If its a small sling keep a small area of container moist not soaking wet. Small spiderlings dehydrate faster than more mature spiders. juviniles
On up to adults keep substrate dry and supply a water dish. I wouldnt worry about humidity. Post a picture of your setup and size of the spider

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If its a small sling keep a small area of container moist not soaking wet. Small spiderlings dehydrate faster than more mature spiders. juviniles
On up to adults keep substrate dry and supply a water dish. I wouldnt worry about humidity. Post a picture of your setup and size of the spider
second this

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
Here is the enclosure, I kept it wet because many of the websites i checked out said to keep the humidity high.

The spider is about 3-4" and should be arriving in a couple days. Guess I should probably replace the substrate.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
You shouldn't be keeping any tarantula wet. Not even genus Theraphosa, Xenesthis or Pamphobeteus, etc. The Ts that do require high humidity and moist substrate require just that: moist substrate. Not wet. Not even damp.

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
Yeah I know the substrate looks really wet and I have NO intention on keeping any T on substrate like that, I just got done flooding it Because the substrate was dry before. I'm leaving the lid off the KK over the next couple days and hopefully that will dry out the substrate. But you guys agree that that this species needs to be kept on dry substrate, correct? A lot of caresheets I've read says they need to be kept moist, but they were probably talking about slings.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep my seemanni on the humid side. Substrate is never bone dry, but not wet, nor even moist. She dumps her own waterbowl periodically, so I don't have to do much. :).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Here are some habitat fotos of Brachypelma fossorium. These are found in collonies of Aphonopelma seemanni.
Good work. Looks like a lush, high rainfall area, which is what I'd expect with seemanni.

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
So I should be fine if I keep my new T not completely dry, maybe mist a couple times a week?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So I should be fine if I keep my new T not completely dry, maybe mist a couple times a week?
Misting is next to useless, it can dry in hours. Sprinkle some water on the substrate when it starts to dry. I don't like overflowing waterbowls, as it keeps one area perpetually wet and can encourage mites and other insects/bacteria to thrive there.