Most eggsacs dropped in between molts?

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
i know you have your double clutchers, but what about the old females that have multiple years in between their molt cycles...is it possible to introduce, lets say 4-5 different males over that period of time and get her to lay 4-5 sacs? i understand some specie's gestation period can be way more lengthy than others...but some are quite quick. i would think they'd be able to really pump them out, that is, as long as the female is producing eggs regularly (which i havnt much knowledge about)

so what have you seen in your experience? what is the most sacs your female produced within her molt cycle? and what species was it?

is it pointless to pair a female up shortly after she drops a sac....if you know she still has a long time before her next molt?

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The most sacs I have heard of is 3 from a P.murinus from one mating between moults.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most don't, but a few species double clutch (I've had Lampro viola and Pterino murinus do it), but it's hard on a female. I can't imagine 3 sacs in a year. All of this egg production comes with a price and shortens their lifespan. According to a conversation I had with Anastasia, even a female producing one sac every year, several years in a row, has a shortened life. It burns them out. If you want more sling production, get more females. I set up breeding groups for most of the species I have (3+ adult females of a species), so I can alternate the years I breed them and not run them into the ground.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
@poec54

ive seen you say that before..."it's hard on a female"...i can maybe understand them being stressed out from guarding sacs/and keepers snagging them from them nonstop, but when it comes to physical harm/wear and tear from giving birth/creating sacs/etc...i cant see it being a big deal. its not like a painful birth such as humans/mammals would indure. and wont they produce the eggs regardless if the have sperm stored away? im not asking this because im concerned about mass production...i mainly want to know if they start the egg factory going immediately after they unload the previous batch of eggs. and besides, what else does a female T have to live for...its their job and probably their main desire to reproduce as much as possible.

i just thought of something else...do you think females go through some kind of menopause when they reach a certain age? did anastastia mention anything about that during the conversation?