Plexiglass or Clear Glass

which do you prefer for your tarantula enclosures?

• Plexiglass

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Glass

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

oddT

Arachnopeon
Iv'e been thinking about making my second enclosure, Someone came up with the fact that plexiglass is more prone to scratch, I was wondering what are your preferences Plexiglass or normal glass aesthetically? Please go into details...

-OddT

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Oh, but they both have pros and cons!

Glass cons:
·hard to drill (as a not-professional)
·heavier than acrylic
·easier to spell on a keyboard, than acrylic

Glass pros:
·is awesomely clear, and stays that way forever
·can be cleaned with almost any harsh cleaning substance

Acrylic cons:
·warps under duress or high humidity
·does not stay clear forever (LOTS of things cause discolouring)

Acrylic pros:
·so light, oh my, so light
·parts can be assembled without something as obvious as silicone (bonding agent is clear)
·can be altered with minimal skill (and with youtube, skills can be upgraded cheaply)

They both have so many draws and setbacks. It's really up to you as to what pros you want, with what cans you can handle.
I choose acrylic because I'm looking to up my skills, and lower my manufacturing costs. But I hate that I spell it "arcylic" every time, and have to backspace and correct myself.

Ahhh, personal demons, they ultimately choose for us. :)

oddT

Arachnopeon

Glass cons:
·heavier than acrylic

Glass pros:

Acrylic cons:

Acrylic pros:
·parts can be assembled without something as obvious as silicone (bonding agent is clear)
·can be altered with minimal skill (and with youtube, skills can be upgraded cheaply)

They both have so many draws and setbacks. It's really up to you as to what pros you want, with what cans you can handle.
I choose acrylic because I'm looking to up my skills, and lower my manufacturing costs. But I hate that I spell it "arcylic" every time, and have to backspace and correct myself.

Lol Thanks a lot, this is very useful, glass is definitely more expensive as I would need more materials to upgrade. but the down side is that acrylic is quite weak.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Glass cons:
·heavier than acrylic

Glass pros:

Acrylic cons:

Acrylic pros:

This says it all

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer

Glass cons:
·heavier than acrylic

Glass pros:

Acrylic cons:

Acrylic pros:

Use cilyrca. Let that inner lyxdexic be free!

I'd always go with glass. It just seems to me the difference between, say, making the body and frame of a car out of plastic or steel.

delo

Arachnopeon
I've built all my enclosures with glass thus far 20+ and even though it's cheaper more scratch resistance and durable (doesn't warp due to heat) I'm switching all enclosures to acrylic now......that's a lot of work...lol. Reasons, 1) well I love the clean look of an entire acrylic enclosure, vents, hinges, hasp and all. Just looks so sharp! 2) I can't drill glass efficiently and I'm stubborn and refuse to pay someone to drill for me so creating airflow becomes a lid problem where you have to customize holes or screen, latch door or sliding door for access then make nice edging with router table just so much work to do. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing but a lot of work and patience. 3) and lastly you may think scoring and cutting glass at 90 degrees is easy but let me tell you....accidentally twist the cutter or break at the wrong angle ouch, you'll have gaps to fill with silicon or new piece to cut or settle for an uneven looking tank....lol. That's all that I've learned hope it helps.