Did I over do it?

powerpro23

Arachnopeon
I just set up two new exo terra enclosures for my juvi M.balfouri and my juvi P.metallica. I was just looking for opinions on if they are still to small for the enclosures I put them in. P.Metallica is almost 2.5" and M.balfouri is 2.25" both exo terras are a 12x12" footprint and the metallica enclosure is 6 inches taller because shes arboreal. pictures are below

Attachments

goodyt

Arachnosquire
As long as you can find them, too big won't be much of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awiec

Arachnoprince
In the top picture is that the balfouri? It seems a little high up and might hurt itself, might need to add something so it won't turn itself into an spider omelette. As for the metallica's setup, just take care to deliver food near its hide and perhaps put a few more plants or bark in there.

cold blood

Staff member
I see that type of enclosure as arboreal only as the doors prevent enough substrate to make it safe for terrestrials. Metallica should be just fine, they're quick enough to cover the extra ground. Like mentioned, I would add more for it to climb on. I do not like it for the balfouri though, too much verticality.

PhiGamTeacher

Arachnopeon
If you want to use the exo for the balfouri, you might consider laying it down so that the doors are on the top. Then, you can adjust the height so that the T doesn't fall. There is a small "guide" on how to do that somewhere around here. Not really too much to it though.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is at least the third thread I've seen this week, where someone is keeping tiny spiders in large enclosures. Is this some recent new trend? :laugh:

awiec

Arachnoprince
This is at least the third thread I've seen this week, where someone is keeping tiny spiders in large enclosures. Is this some recent new trend? :laugh:
Some species I'm okay with putting them in larger containers because they grow fast, but I actually moved one of my T's to a smaller container this week where its much happier. If I move something that is probably a bit large for it, I make sure to provide a good hide or two so its comfortable. My 2 inch T.gigas lives in a tank that is probably a bit big for it but it's pretty skididsh so the less transfers I have to do the better for the T, plus it gains a good .5 inch every molt so it will be maturing by the end of this year.

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like those cages but did remove the backing because the crickets were getting under it, Yours looks great !

powerpro23

Arachnopeon
If you want to use the exo for the balfouri, you might consider laying it down so that the doors are on the top. Then, you can adjust the height so that the T doesn't fall. There is a small "guide" on how to do that somewhere around here. Not really too much to it though.
the m.balfouri exo terra is 12x12x12 so whatever way i turn it would be the same height.

---------- Post added 04-17-2014 at 11:30 AM ----------

I see that type of enclosure as arboreal only as the doors prevent enough substrate to make it safe for terrestrials. Metallica should be just fine, they're quick enough to cover the extra ground. Like mentioned, I would add more for it to climb on. I do not like it for the balfouri though, too much verticality.
yes I plan to add some bendable vines in the metallica tank as well a vertical piece of driftwood.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the m.balfouri exo terra is 12x12x12 so whatever way i turn it would be the same height.
You're not getting what PhiGam is saying. If you turn it up like Phi said, and dammed the screen top with acrylic or something, you can put a safer level of substrate in there...

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
They look fine to me, just add the drift wood/corkbark etc for P,met and it should be ok.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
the m.balfouri exo terra is 12x12x12 so whatever way i turn it would be the same height.Yes but here's the thing, M.balfouri are terrestrial and more importantly burrowers so as soon as that soaking wet fiber dries it will come down and burrow and you won't be seeing a whole lot of it. In the position it's currently in you can't add more sub because it'll just fall out when you open it, whereas if you turn it on its side, you can give him more sub to dig into and reduce the height that he can fall from at the same time.

David VB

Arachnosquire
I would add some hollow cork bark in the P. metallica enclosure coz that's what they like to hide in ;) And way more cocopeat or whatever you use on the bottom.

powerpro23

Arachnopeon
I will go to the pet store and get some vines with leafs that bend and a piece of wood for the metallica. I plan to hot glue some forest moss to the new piece of wood and ad some real plants to both enclosures. I know I accidentally soaked the m.balfouri enclosure to much so I just put a small layer of dry stuff on top. after I complete the enclosures I will post before after thread. Thanks for the reply's

cold blood

Staff member
I know I accidentally soaked the m.balfouri enclosure to much so I just put a small layer of dry stuff on top.
Be aware, that with the new sub over the wet, it will not allow for the wet stuff to dry out..it will take a long time and could trigger mold or unwanted pests. Best to fix the problem rather than covering it.:)

Ximmanis

Arachnopeon
Pure overkill. I wouldn't bother with modifying the enclosures you are using now, since that would just be complicating things. Simply move the specimens into [way] smaller containers for now. If you choose to use the current enclosures anyway, be sure to double check the little sliding door for tubes/wires in the top right corner of the terrarium.

---------- Post added 04-17-2014 at 11:50 PM ----------

Just to give you an idea: Comparing your juveniles to their enclosures, you could split the terrariums into eight parts (each - for now) and the juveniles would still have more than enough space. ;-)

Last edited:

Kat Graves

Arachnopeon
WAY too big enclosures. The max should be 4x the leg span of the T. And that is max. If they fall from those heights they will die, no doubt.