Brachypelma Fasting

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey, I have a small (1/4') Brachypelma Boehmei sling that has not eaten in about 3 weeks. When I first got her, she chased live crickets away and seemed bothered with em so I killed one and left it in with her. She ate it that night and fed like this reliably for a month or so, skipping a few days to a week sometimes. This little cutie does not burrow, or web. Just stands tall on the surface all day and night showing off her plump little abdomen. Is this typical of a Boehmei this young to fast this long for pre molt or any other reason? She is one of two of my first group of tarantulas I have ever owned that is yet to molt! The other being G. Pulchripes….Both my Nhandu Coloratovillosus and Chromatus have molted twice already! The second time it was on the same day! I know they grow fast but is a Boehmei really this slow?

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
I'm no expert and have not cared for boehmei before but my smithi always takes a very long fast prior to molting. She is 2.5" and took a 6+ week fast this last molt. Brachypelma, from what I have read, are very slow growing, but as with any t the amount of food and temperature can also play a big part.

powerpro23

Arachnopeon
1/4"...good chance that its pre molt. if shes fat and plump then dont worry to much also I have heard of brachypelma fasting due to the substrate being to wet keep them dry with a tiny mist on one side of the vial for drinking once in a while. if she refuses her next pre killed cricket wait another 7 days before offering food again.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Ok, gonna give El Diablo (B Boehmei) another run tomorrow. She certainly is a proud thing but I wouldn't mind her knocking down a little cricket here and there!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At that size they may go from eating live to scavenge feeding. It also depends on the species. Some terrestrial species are ferocious eaters and some are not. I would not classify boehmei in the former category at all, but GBBs and Honduran Curly Hairs both are generally.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
dang, she is completely disinterested in that dead cricket tonight! She still has a fat tummy.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wait until it gets bigger...my big Brachy girls haven't eaten for 4 months. *shrugs* Normal - if they're not hungry, they're not hungry. *shrugs*

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Yeah I think I am worried cause she is so young and should be growing sort of steady…My Ball Python goes 3 months without eating every winter and is fat and happy til he takes his first rat in the spring so I guess I will watch the little one's weight and keep offering every week….and pray for a molt.