Ctenid or lycosid?

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On a recent trip to SC, we found several of what we expect to be Anahita punctulata, but some of the characteristics don't quite line up (the higher contrast, for example). Is there another ctenid or perhaps a lycosid that this might be?

On an unrelated note, does anybody have any experience keeping Mimetidae (pirate spiders)?

Thanks!

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe the genus Rabidosa, a juvenile. The white dots are driving me crazy because some species of Dolomedes fishing spiders have those, but I 'd stick w/ Lycosidae. Another way to distinguish Ctenids from wolves: Ctenids can climb glass

jecraque

Arachnobaron
maybe the genus Rabidosa, a juvenile. The white dots are driving me crazy because some species of Dolomedes fishing spiders have those, but I 'd stick w/ Lycosidae. Another way to distinguish Ctenids from wolves: Ctenids can climb glass
Oh, wow, thanks, lox! Rabidosa wasn't even on our radar because aaarg & I have raised R. rabida and R. punctulata in the past and thought we had a pretty good Gestalt feel for those (in fact both of those species were found on the same trip as juveniles). This one is apparently R. hentzi, and while the pictured individual is indeed a juvenile, we picked up a penultimate male from the same general location that is a bit smaller. Hopefully we can mature this one out and see just how small they stay.

I know what you mean about the spots though--that's one of the reasons we thought of Anahita in the first place, but they're the wrong color. Another reason is the glass-climbing ability--these guys have no trouble.

They're discussed here: http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v22_n2/JoA_v22_p138.pdf
A related quote from the linked paper: "Rabidosa hentzi is the only large wolf spider that can negotiate vertical glass surfaces (pers. obs.)"

Thanks again--this spider was driving me nuts because I couldn't put my finger on it. Now to figure out what to do about our Mimetid and her new egg sac...

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you mean about the spots though--that's one of the reasons we thought of Anahita in the first place, but they're the wrong color. Another reason is the glass-climbing ability--these guys have no trouble.

They're discussed here: http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v22_n2/JoA_v22_p138.pdf
A related quote from the linked paper: "Rabidosa hentzi is the only large wolf spider that can negotiate vertical glass surfaces (pers. obs.)"

Thanks again--this spider was driving me nuts because I couldn't put my finger on it. Now to figure out what to do about our Mimetid and her new egg sac...
Thanks for the link to the publication, and for the glass climbing behavior tip!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Whilst juveniles, many lycosids can scale smooth surfaces, thanks to their small claws.

Some, like pirata and piratula are adept at climbing.

Those two genera also have very similar markings, as well.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah pirate wolf spiders have them, Pirata sp.
Were annoying as hell when i first found them here in the UK, thought i finally found a Dolomedes.