GBB fasting and acting weird

Seal36

Arachnopeon
I have had my gbb since the 20th of March and she has not eaten since she has been in my care. Also she has webbed up the front of her hide and has been hiding in there since the 23rd of March. She has been moving around in her hide but only one or 2 body lengths since then. Also today she was standing on her tiptoes. She also has a very small bald spot on her abdomen but the bald spot is one centre meter long by 0.5cm wide. I don't know if she is getting ready to molt or anything like that. This is my first tarantula and would love to hear people's opinion on what you think she is doing thanks from Tom

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have had my gbb since the 20th of March and she has not eaten since she has been in my care. Also she has webbed up the front of her hide and has been hiding in there since the 23rd of March. She has been moving around in her hide but only one or 2 body lengths since then. Also today she was standing on her tiptoes. She also has a very small bald spot on her abdomen but the bald spot is one centre meter long by 0.5cm wide. I don't know if she is getting ready to molt or anything like that. This is my first tarantula and would love to hear people's opinion on what you think she is doing thanks from Tom

l love VGBBs*(Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) I have three slings.

And yes it might be preparing now to start the molt process, anytime it locks it self in the hide its either starting the molting process or it wants to be left alone.

IME (in my experience) whenever a T is on its tippy toes its usually because it hates how wet/damp the substrate has become, however this might not be the same for you. With my VGBB, I keep their substrate dry besides a weekly misting.

Lacey

Arachnopeon
Sounds like your little one's preparing to moult. What's your setup and the conditions like?

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Ok I'm just worried that it has not eaten in almost a month. Also the area where the bald spot is still has it's colour and has not gone dark. Also she is on completely dry substrate and her hide is one brick snapped in half and the two parts pushed together. Also I thought they did not move when they were getting close to moult but she is moving up and down her moult from Tom.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ok I'm just worried that it has not eaten in almost a month. Also the area where the bald spot is still has it's colour and has not gone dark. Also she is on completely dry substrate and her hide is one brick snapped in half and the two parts pushed together. Also I thought they did not move when they were getting close to moult but she is moving up and down her moult from Tom.
Did you say you have BRICKS in your enclosure? or did I read that wrong?

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Yes I am careful to make sure that the environment is safe for her but I don't think she is moulting as she has been in there for a month now from Tom

cold blood

Staff member
Man, if that sub was 4 inches deeper that would be better....but it sure is a great looking set up, mad props to you;). Does the t actually use the brick hole? I did notice you covered the brick with soft stuff so it should not be a safety hazard, good thinking, I assume its all glued in place.

But where's the water dish? The only dish is full of moss...curious.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
You have already posted about this. Why the new thread? You were already given advice and have chosen to ignore it. Now that you've been given te same advice you're ignoring it again.

If your T is in premolt, it can take much longer than a month. I've had them disappear for months at a time. The minute your T starts climbing again, though (and it will) it's going to be in great danger of falling and dying on that brick. Landing on substrate from that height is perilous, the brick is a death sentence.

brianp

Arachnopeon
You know, each time that one of my Ts has done something out of character, they have
always rebounded and returned to what I would regard as "conventional" behavior. They
really seem to know what they're doing and should be left unperturbed.

Seal36

Arachnopeon
She does use the brick hole and that is what she is currently hiding in and yes it's all glued into place. Her water bowl is the one with moss in and the moss is there so she does not drown in it and I make sure that the water is always full to the top of the bowl and the moss is constantly wet. The moss is also there to provide the enclosure with a bit of humidity and I know that they like a dry substrate. Is there a time that each species usually goes into pre moult and the reason I started a new thread was the circumstances have changed. Also the reason that she is in this cage is because it is the smallest and shortest tank I own all the other tanks are taller and bigger. The brick is cover with bark chip so she is not landing onto the hard brick. Thank you for all your help I am just trying to figure out what she is doing as I don't have much experience with tarantulas and this is the first time she has been hiding away as with her previous owner she was out all the time including in the premoult. Thanks again

cold blood

Staff member
Her water bowl is the one with moss in and the moss is there so she does not drown in it and I make sure that the water is always full to the top of the bowl and the moss is constantly wet. The moss is also there to provide the enclosure with a bit of humidity and I know that they like a dry substrate.
She is plenty big enough to not drown, that should not be a worry for you, add pebbles if it makes you feel better, they won't wick the water, grow mold or bacteria. Adding moss only gives things a place to grow and seeps water out, adding to the moisture in the surrounding sub. There is no need to attempt to boost humidity for this species.

If you know they like dry, why are you not just letting it be dry? A water dish will provide everything needed for a happy GBB. It doesn't need to be constantly full either, just not empty. ;)

Pretty cool that she uses the brick. :)

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you for the advice on the water bowl I will remove the moss from it and the only reason I put the moss in was because according to weather records in Venezuela their humidity is around 70% if not higher but if I don't need to worry about humidity then the most is not needed. It's great that she uses the brick because I can peel off the background in the corner and check on her through the other side of the brick from Tom

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you for the advice on the water bowl I will remove the moss from it and the only reason I put the moss in was because according to weather records in Venezuela their humidity is around 70% if not higher but if I don't need to worry about humidity then the most is not needed. It's great that she uses the brick because I can peel off the background in the corner and check on her through the other side of the brick from Tom
Im sure most of Venezuela's humidity is around 70%. However the desert region that GBB's are from is not. Most basic care sheets will explain this.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Here's what I'm seeing in that picture: A T hanging from the top of the enclosure, with what looks to be a foot between it and the bottom of the enclosure. That is way too far of a fall, especially if it's falling onto a brick. Even if that brick is covered in moss or substrate, that fall can (and likely will) kill you T. It is a lovely setup, and I don't see anything inherently wrong with using the brick. The problem here is the fall. If you added like, 4 inches of sub to that enclosure and made sure that the brick was covered well with lots of moss, I think you'd be fine. But the way it's set up right now makes me nervous.

To address your question: Since you're keeping her enclosure dry and the sub is dry, I wouldn't assume that it was the sub. She may be in premolt. They still do continue to move around during premolt; only once they are *actively molting* do they flip over and "stop moving". Continue to offer her food once a week or so and keep water in her dish. And add substrate to that enclosure! That's about all you can do :) Best of luck to you!

Seal36

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you and what substrate do the gbb do best on I have bug bed which is made up of wood mulch, leaf litter and peat based soil. I also have forest moss and some bark. I also have sand. What would you guys recommend from Tom

Last edited: