Breeding question.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When you guys breed Ts, how do you deal with it if the female has a hide or burrow of some sort? I'm afraid of the male going into her hide and I wouldn't be able to rescue him if things go sour. I can't afford to loose this male.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes you lose them when you loose them but that's just the way it goes with tarantula breeding... it can certainly be risky if the male is entering a tight burrow, but I don't think it's a good idea to try extracting the female or anything along those lines. If receptive she will hopefully edge out of her burrow or at least recognize what the male is up to and be less likely to attack.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Usually the males presence will lure the female out if she is interested in pairing, or dinner. Males will tap or kind of do a thing where they twitch or vibrate. She will know he is there. You always take a chance when you pair ts.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've successfully bred Ts before, but they had been either terrestrials or had an all web burrow. This female fasciatium has a large cork bark log hide that is half buried that she has taken as a burrow. I thought the first pairing was successful so I put this hide in for her to make a sac, but now that I am pairing them again, the male will be vulnerable.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes you just have to let the male go do his thing. He knows what he is getting himself into walking down a burrow hole. But if you really want, you can force the female out, and block off her burrow until they are done.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it wise to fatten up the female to help prevent males from becoming lunch? I'm sure it's smart to fatten up females for egg laying purposes, just wasn't sure if doing so mitigates male lunches. I get the impression it doesn't.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
In my limited experience with pairing, it doesn't help much. It certainly doesn't hurt either.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It definitely helps with certain females. Sometimes you try to pair them and the female tries to eat the male. Feed the female that night and try again the next day, and then she is interested. Doesnt always work though. Some females are just impossible to pair, and no matter how fat they are, will chase the male like crazy.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It definitely helps with certain females. Sometimes you try to pair them and the female tries to eat the male. Feed the female that night and try again the next day, and then she is interested. Doesnt always work though. Some females are just impossible to pair, and no matter how fat they are, will chase the male like crazy.
+1. And other females aren't interested and ignore the male.

It's not easier being a breeder, let me tell ya...

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I paired my B albopilosums and it went great they hooked up and saving the male was easy

[video=youtube;w_EDVETvd-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_EDVETvd-Q&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Next week I decided to pair the same two T's , I introduced the male to the females enclosure(She was out in the open). By the time I turned the camera on, she grabbed him and dragged him inside her hide. I saved him, but he had a limp for few days

[video=youtube;Zn_R-Qxith8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zn_R-Qxith8[/video]

After that first pairing my normally super docile female albo has turned into a total B :( I can't feed her or anything without pissing her off and this used to be my calmest T

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I paired my B albopilosums and it went great they hooked up and saving the male was easy
Next week I decided to pair the same two T's , I introduced the male to the females enclosure(She was out in the open). By the time I turned the camera on, she grabbed him and dragged him inside her hide. I saved him, but he had a limp for few days[/video]

After that first pairing my normally super docile female albo has turned into a total B :( I can't feed her or anything without pissing her off and this used to be my calmest T
She has bigger things on her plate now, like the entire purpose of her existence: reproduction (not entertaining humans). Your little girl is a woman now.

I usually don't re-pair my females, as it often doesn't lead to anything productive, and there's better uses for the male (other females of yours or breeding loans).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Next week I decided to pair the same two T's , I introduced the male to the females enclosure(She was out in the open). By the time I turned the camera on, she grabbed him and dragged him inside her hide. I saved him, but he had a limp for few days

Thanks a lot for these. These are quite helpful. I have a good sized female albo too. I think she'd chow down a male based on her reaction to crickets I put in wit her. Did her personality ever go back?

I can't imagine how people separate OW Ts??? Poec, Catfish chime in?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pretty much the same as NW tarantulas. But the great part is about all OW are very easy to pair, with the females being very gentle. The most aggression ive seen has been from NW.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Thanks a lot for these. These are quite helpful. I have a good sized female albo too. I think she'd chow down a male based on her reaction to crickets I put in wit her. Did her personality ever go back?

Too early to tell. She is still gravid

Pretty much the same as NW tarantulas. But the great part is about all OW are very easy to pair, with the females being very gentle. The most aggression ive seen has been from NW.
My OBT pairing went crazy smooth. They handled their business like I wasn't even in the room :clap:

After mating the female laid upside down in ecstasy for a couple minutes. The male broke and ran, had to cup him. Neither threatened me through the whole process

[video=youtube;cwQi_M5Wb_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQi_M5Wb_w&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's pretty interesting! What an odd difference.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Interesting, isn't it? I suspect that a number of OW's have a more than their share of predators, and in order to keep the species going, females tend to give the males a break.

With P murinus I open the lid, or tap on the side, and they'll sometimes stand up and extend their fangs. Ready to defend themselves. Yet I've put a male in a female's cage, he panicked and instantly ran, right into the female on the other side. No reaction on either's part. How did she know, so fast, that he wasn't a threat?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting, isn't it? I suspect that a number of OW's have a more than their share of predators, and in order to keep the species going, females tend to give the males a break.

With P murinus I open the lid, or tap on the side, and they'll sometimes stand up and extend their fangs. Ready to defend themselves. Yet I've put a male in a female's cage, he panicked and instantly ran, right into the female on the other side. No reaction on either's part. How did she know, so fast, that he wasn't a threat?
That's a very interesting observation. I'm surprised to read this actually. I expected the same as NW females. I was trying to picture how someone separates a large female rufilata from a male, esp as they are quite large and arboreal/nimble. Not what I expected at all. You could be very right about that differences resulting from predation.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah it sure is. I had a mature male L. nigerrimum freak out on me when i was putting him into the females enclosure. He bolted and jumped, landed right on the female, and they both just sat there. Then he started drumming on her, and she started drumming right back.

Off topic, but that male did not drum with his pedipalps. He drummed with his fangs!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The OW females are generally more easy on the males, but dont think they dont eat the males at all. But there are some that you can have together for months, such as p metallicca. Take your precautions as with NW T´s.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The OW females are generally more easy on the males, but dont think they dont eat the males at all. But there are some that you can have together for months, such as p metallicca. Take your precautions as with NW T´s.
There's no reason to keep mature males & females together for an extended time. At some point that's going to be a death sentence for the male. I only keep my Poec males in the female's cage for one night at a time. Theat way I have them for other females of mine, or if any of them shed, or to send out on breeding loan. It greatly increases his usefulness, and the odds of you getting slings.