Leopard Frogs

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
Hey, so my girlfriend is taking Physiology and they gave away Leopard Frogs and she brought a couple home. Anyway, my question is can their environment be maintained without having to fully clean it? Say if I put in some pothos (or some other low maintenance plants), maybe moss, and a bunch of dwarf isopods would it be possible? I don't mind doing spot cleans, but I really don't want to be constantly having to break it down to clean it and setting everything up again stressing these guys out in the process. I will if I have to, but yeah I'd rather not. Any thoughts, advice, or experience? Thanks.

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I had leopard frogs I used a filter in their water whose "used" unit could be taken out and washed to get fertilizer for my plants.

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
When I had leopard frogs I used a filter in their water whose "used" unit could be taken out and washed to get fertilizer for my plants.
Thanks for responding. I never noticed anyone had replied. I was referring to the substrate, not the water. I know they urinate and whatnot in it. Anyway, I have added pothos and a small army of dwarf isopods, and plan on adding some live moss, so I'll see how it goes. Right now they're just in a big clear tote with a large tupperware container for water that I change daily. I am in the planning phase of setting up a nice 50-60 gallon paludarium for them with a nice sized pond with maybe some guppies or something.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
They'll swallow those guppies up in no time. You'd be surprised at how big a frog mouth is lol. It'll be hard to house them with much else fish wise.

50-60g is a good size. These guys spend the majority of the time in the water so while you can offer a bank with plants and such you'll also need to offer a lot of water. Less water also means more water changes will be needed. I can grow Java Fern and Java Moss...in a closet...in the dark for 22 hours a day. Okay maybe not but they are the easiest aquatic plants I have ever grown and look attractive attached to drift wood and such. Major help with nitrates/nitrites.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had one in a 10 gallon, bad news, 60 gallons seems good they will live in outdoor ponds if climate is native. They wait at the waters edge to catch food and will eat small fish, and are excellent swimmers. However during rainy days or humid nights they eat on land they usually are in water during mating season, so provide swimming area but also land area to hop around and bask, they are active during the day too. A filter is a must. They'll eat small fish, worms, crickets, waxworms, flies, silkworms, and once in a while a thawed pinkie mouse but rarely as it's not regular part of diet.