one cricket or two?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have kept several species over the years and I have seen Pandinus and Heterometrus catch and eat one cricket while holding one or two others to be eaten next. The buthids that I have kept have always eaten them one at a time, however I have recently noticed from some photos that C. Exilicauda sometimes also catches more than one at feeding time. Is this species particularly gluttonous as opposed to other Centruroides?

Last edited:

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have witnessed C vitattus as well as my P transvaalicus hold one in each claw while eating a third. The females seem to be more voracious eaters.
Cordially,
Darrell.

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive had a C. Gracilis grab 2 crickets, eat one and hold onto the other until it was done with the first

my H Spinifer had 3 crickets one time, chewing on one and one in each of her claws, shes a little greedy

Wolvie

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm, my C.gracilis are males, I wonder if the females of any given buthid sp. are genetically predisposed to gluttony.

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some of my vittatus are not yet full grown but just about adult. I have roughly ten in half of one ten gallon tank. I feed them about once a week. They were recently caught specimens and maybe they were not used to eating so regularly. Could be the answer for their voracious appetites.
Darrell.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is very likely the case. I have had mine for two years now and they are full grown.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Smeringurus Mesaensis dead :(

Looked in tonight, found my male under his hide, dead as a doornail :( Stuck it in a bag in the freezer for the time being, till i can get some alcohol or resin or something to preserve it - poor thing. Hopefully one of his attempts at mating with the female worked, shes still alive and pinching!

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm very sorry about your loss, these moments never get any easier, no matter how long a person keeps scorpions.