Freshly Molted Emp with One Claw?

wodesorel

Arachnosquire
My last batch of captive born turned two on March 29th, and they're all just finishing up what I think is their final molt. Hard to see telsons on all of them to be sure.

Walked in to turn off the lights tonight and found one freshly molted (still chocolate colored) sitting out in the open. Looked closer and saw he only had one claw! It looks like it broke off at the patella, not sure if it's from a bad molt or an attack. He was spooked enough about going back down with the others that I was able to miss him twice with a cup before getting him out of the communal enclosure and into a plastic shoebox. Just in case I didn't want to leave him when I had the opportunity to grab him so easily.

I haven't seen anything about Emps - or scorps in general - that are missing a claw aside from mentions of babies who will grow back missing limbs on the next molt. I'm nearly positive this was his final molt. :/

Will he survive? Do I have to do anything special to keep him healthy, like pre-killed food or something?

I'm assuming communal living is going to be completely out of the question now? Wasn't really planning on yet another scorpion enclosure, but we do what we must. :)

Scuttlebutt

Arachnosquire
The missing claw itself shouldn't be much of an issue, he'll still be able to catch food and live and mate with the other emps. The claw will never grow back back the quality of life lost with it is negligible.

However, the same thing happened to me recently, and the scorp's arm had gone limp and paralyzed and was dragging on and digging in to the substrate, stressing him out. He'd just run around the enclosure trying to free it and get stuck going in circles when it caught on the substrate and dug in. After some google-fu it seemed that this was a common issue with lost claws. It was a hard decision, but he was obviously under a lot of stress from it and I decided to try to amputate a portion of the arm. It seemingly went well but the next day the scorp had died.

So the missing claw itself will be no issue, but a limp arm could be a source of stress for the scorpion if it has one.

wodesorel

Arachnosquire
Sorry about yours. Never like to see an animal in distress like that.

So far he has full range of movement. He sort of looks like a boxer missing one glove as he moves around. His color is still so off that I can't tell the extent of the damage or if there's any sign of rot setting in. The upper joint looks healthy but where it breaks off there seems to be some leftover molt stuck to the end. Crossing my fingers he's okay. Will keep him separate until I know for sure he won't have problems. :)

wodesorel

Arachnosquire
The claw is a giant swarm of teeny tiny maggots and some sort of miniature flies today. (urp) However, there's no black flesh or old exo left and it looks like a very clean wound under the writhing mass on top. I'm not completely sure he's going to be okay, but I'm also not quite worried yet either as he's eaten a few times this week. Just hoping this phase of healing is over with soon. Too gross to look at!