So much for feeding Mystery lol

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Well...I went out yesterday and got my first box of crickets. Was really looking forward to feeding Mystery as obviously with it being my first T, I haven't actually experienced a tarantula feeding yet. Came home, and was about to put a couple of crickets into the tank...when I saw something strange...

At first, I thought that Mystery was actually dead...but it wasn't until I actually looked closely at the back of the hide that Mystery has, it turned out that Mystery had moulted for the first time since being here!! Pretty much nearly a perfect moult...except that I think either Mystery is a male, or the leaf shaped fold had got damaged in the moult. I will attach a photo on here (and in the photo thread) when I get a chance to get the camera out.

I can't believe I missed out on a moulting, but I am glad that Mystery got through it safely...but it does mean that Mystery and I will have to wait before it's time for the first feeding lol.

Julia x

cold blood

Staff member
Make sure you give it time to harden up before you feed, 4 days at the least. You only need to feed one cricket at a time, the more you pile in, the less frequently you will need to feed. Also multiples in a small enclosure or with a smaller t can be intimidating to some of them. Unless you have a large t with a large appetite one at a time is the way to go.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Congratulations on getting your first T! What species is it?

Sorry you missed out on the feeding. But depending on how old he/she is it should be ok to feed in a week and a half to 2 weeks maybe less but im sure you already know that.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Cold Blood - thanks for the information. I had already read about having to wait for Mystery to harden up before feeding. Thanks for the information about only putting one in for a small T as well. Some people have told me to put a couple in, but after reading what you have typed, I will only put in one as I don't want Mystery to get intimidated etc.

Ghidaji17 - Mystery is a Brachypelma auratum and is about 5cm in DLS.

Mmm....looks like I need to either get another T...or a lizard of some kind to get rid of excess crickets lol.

Julia x

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
CitizenNumber9 - Lol....my thoughts exactly! But unfortunately I am going to have to wait for a few months until my next one (and/or a lizard) as my parents are in the middle of an extension and I am getting a new (slightly larger) bedroom out of it, so I am going to wait until I have moved into it before getting any more pets. Since getting Mystery though...my parents have been really intrigued and interested in how Mystery is doing...quite funny considering they were firmly against me getting one in January lol xxx

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Mystery sounds great! I started out with a G. Rosea and now I have 8! Its an addicting hobby! If I were you I would stick to T's. They are very low maintenance and if you leave town for a week or so you don't have to worry about upkeep. I would know. I have 2 lizards (a chameleon and a beardie) ontop of my tarantulas and there is a ton of care involved including lots of cricket consumption. My beardie is sitting next to the computer as I type this lol

cold blood

Staff member
Since getting Mystery though...my parents have been really intrigued and interested in how Mystery is doing...quite funny considering they were firmly against me getting one in January lol xxx
No matter how you feel about them, when they are around, they tend to be very intriguing. The more comfortable one gets, the more intriguing they become.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
Ghidaji17 - I have had a couple of lizards before so I am aware of how much care is involved. I always look after a friends very elderly bearded dragon and my cousins water dragon whenever they go away on holiday and both of them are really pleased with the way I care for them. My parents were going to allow me to get a leopard gecko, before I got Inca (my 18 month old corn snake) so I spent about 8 months revising up on different types of reptile care before I even thought about acquiring one x

Cold Blood - My thoughts exactly x

Julia x